Katie’s at CGE closing

Brad Z

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brad Z
According to a post on their Facebook page, Katie’s (formerly Kay’s) at Cambridge MD (KCGE) announced they will be permanently closing at the end of January. This is a real bummer as this little place has been a reliably great meal destination right in the terminal building. There aren’t too many GA pilots in the mid Atlantic that haven’t popped in for break, lunch, etc. for good food and plane watching.

That is sad. Was always a nice place for breakfast/lunch. Maybe someone will restart the restaurant.

Bbbbut the pies! Where will we get the pie?

By far the best airport restaurant food. Anyone have a recommendation within, say, 100 miles? tia

By far the best airport restaurant food. Anyone have a recommendation within, say, 100 miles? tia
The Flight Deck Diner at Cape May (WWD) is a good spot. There's also Sugar Buns at Easton and Arena's at Georgetown DE but it's been a while since I've been to either.

I'll also mention that Kentmorr Restaurant closed adjacent to Kentmorr airstrip. The marina management claim they're getting someone to take over eventually.

Bay Bridge also has Stevensville crab shack. Decent spot. A little bit further of a walk from W29 is Libbey's Coastal Kitchen, formerly Hemmingways. I haven't been to the most recent incarnation of the bayfront restaurant.

Away from the eastern shore but Hagerstown MD and Martinsburg WV have good restaurants however losing Kay's hurts. It was always a pleasant flight across the bay, even with the SFRA nonsense.

On her Facebook post, she said she and her employees were "devastated". Maybe it's not Kate's decision.

A local rite of passage, along with Kentmorr and Tangier.

I wonder what the last words of the news video clip meant:
"... looking forward hopefully to new beginnings and a new restaurant." ?

I wonder what the last words of the news video clip meant:
"... looking forward hopefully to new beginnings and a new restaurant." ?
I'm not sure. I suspect if it was a matter of the airport Authority unreasonably kicking them out the news would have reported that.

Either way, I hope they land on their feet. I've always been treated and fed well when I've visited.

On her Facebook post, she said she and her employees were "devastated". Maybe it's not Kate's decision.
The economics of running a restaurant are daunting under the best of circumstances. Trying to balance a limited (and ever increasingly expensive) labor market, rising food prices, and a price sensitive customer base, it's possible she may have seen the writing on the wall sooner rather than later. Either way giving up something you've done for nearly 20 years is difficult.

Ate there many years ago, when it was Kay's. Pause coming home from Ocean City, to look at the radar to confirm that the intense lightning activity lighting up the sky ahead was moving away from my route. Good food, time well spent. The rest of the flight went just fine.

Had our last breakfast there.....Saturday. It was very busy.

I went Yesterday and met up with a few friends from N57 and the pilot I was meeting up with from KOQN. Asked my hangar neighbor if he wanted the right seat and he joined me in my Commander. The place was busy, the front row of parking was filled and I shut down on the back row, i think there were three of us in that line. Here is my blog and video post of the flight to/from and some ramp video.

FYI, Autumn the waitress mentioned to one couple there was another restaurant moving in so we shall see.

BLOG & VIDEO

Last edited:
Meh....another restaurant? It won't be the same. :(
I kinda agree. I like the simple but good approach. I suspect the reasonable prices are what kept the place filled with locals.

That said, the discussion of a new restaurant at least suggests that it wasn't the Airport administratio wanting to kick out Katies so they could use the restaurant space for a conference room or some such nonsense.

So....my friend John just texted me. He says that it's going to be a BBQ joint. Like we another one of those....o_O

So....my friend John just texted me. He says that it's going to be a BBQ joint. Like we another one of those....o_O
Fly-in BBQ restaurants seem to be the rage on the east coast. That said, if they still have a decent burger and fries that will make my kid happy.

Back