the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Discovered by a 12 year old.
Discovered by a 12 year old whose parents thought she would be out of their hair for a while if they locked her in a room with an encyclopedia and an offhand question about whether any presidents were related to each other, expecting she would come back an hour excited about the Adamses, Roosevelts, and Bushes.

Edited to correct that it was a 12-year-old girl and recent enough that there had been a second President Bush. And this does go back to my conclusion about all of life's pursuits: No matter how good you are at something, there is a 12-year-old girl somewhere in the world who is better than you.

Last edited:
I'm "related" to 22 presidents. I have an ancestor that came to the colonies very early. If you have that, you're pretty much related to a lot of US history.
Which one got stuck in the bathtub? I'm actually related to that one.

I try power cycling with the master to no effect. I hold the power button for a few seconds, I try everything I can think of...

I was about 20 seconds from blowing a gasket since I just had this installed 5 months ago - when Google informs me fellow POA'ers already have a fix! Hold the power down for a full 10s and it's right as rain! :cool:

Interesting. There are Collins products with the same issue. They must use the same FPGA...

It turns out there is a screen brightness setting of "0" (zero) available, but with that setting, you cannot know the screen is on, but fully dark. Holding the power for ten or more seconds resets the brightness to default and all is well.

Perhaps the power cycle caused a glitch in that chip. I have seen handheld radios with that exact issue. That must be a popular chip!

Turns out the Wright Brothers are my 8th cousins. So I pretty much invented aviation. You're welcome.

So basically it's your fault that the southwest system failed, and the notam system tipped over this week?

I’m on my way to Tampa for my first ferrying gig in a while.

cool! Whatcha flying?
Your absolute favorite airplane… a /U Cessna 172 lol

edit: for those of you who are playing at home, that’s 2x Nav Comm and negative DME (no GPS)

Your absolute favorite airplane… a /U Cessna 172 lol

edit: for those of you who are playing at home, that’s 2x Nav Comm and negative DME (no GPS)
I'm sorry.

Also I take back what I said about it being cool :oops:

Go Dallas ... even though I usually root for anyone playing Dallas, no team belongs in the playoffs if their regular season record isn't above .500.

Go Dallas ... even though I usually root for anyone playing Dallas, no team belongs in the playoffs if their regular season record isn't above .500.
So who do you have for the divisional weekend?

So who do you have for the divisional weekend?

want Jaguars, Eagles, Bengals (especially because they got screwed by the NFL), and niners to win

But I suspect the Jaguars and Bengals will lose

Do tell…

I was simply trying to point out how after taking a flight in a 172 yesterday, all of my pics seem a little off..........

172picss.jpg

except the last image, which I've cropped out here, 'may' have crossed the line. I mean, I don't think so, but apparently their 'rules' think so, pfffftttt.

Chevy is selling little suv things on TV with a Tedeschi Trucks Band tune. I have the same weird feeling about it that I had the first time I heard a music version of a Led Zeppelin song on muzac at a supermarket.

One of the airports near me has a school that trains rotary wing. R-22s I think.
I've never flown a helicopter and want to do a discovery flight just for bucket list purposes. I have two questions:
  1. Hourly rates for dual are very expensive. The discovery flight is at a discounted price compared to normal. Is it dishonest of me to do a Discovery flight with no intention of getting more hours after that?
  2. What kind of stick time can I expect? Just one or two of the controls at a time, or will I get control of all three (collective, cyclic, pedals)?
Is there any other reason that this is a bad/good idea?

Edit - I guess that was three questions.

1. I see absolutely no reason why it would be dishonest for you to do the discovery flight without an intention of getting more hours. Unless you tell them that you're planning on taking more lessons, there is no expectation of further flights.

2. No idea.

One of the airports near me has a school that trains rotary wing. R-22s I think.
I've never flown a helicopter and want to do a discovery flight just for bucket list purposes. I have two questions:
  1. Hourly rates for dual are very expensive. The discovery flight is at a discounted price compared to normal. Is it dishonest of me to do a Discovery flight with no intention of getting more hours after that?
  2. What kind of stick time can I expect? Just one or two of the controls at a time, or will I get control of all three (collective, cyclic, pedals)?

Edit - I guess that was three questions.

1) You're not being dishonest as they may in fact hook you into taking some training. I took a ride in a copter and learned it was OK but not really something I wanted to do.

2) I suspect this depends on the instructor and the rules of the flight school ...

You're not being dishonest as they may in fact hook you into taking some training.
I kind of hope not, as their rates are considerably higher than the rates at the competing fixed wing school where I'm a student :D

I thought getting a private license was costly, until I looked at rotary wing training rates. I see their little helos practicing at the airport there all the time, but I'm not sure who can afford that!

Is it dishonest of me to do a Discovery flight with no intention of getting more hours after that?
No. That's the whole point of a discovery flight.
What kind of stick time can I expect? Just one or two of the controls at a time, or will I get control of all three (collective, cyclic, pedals)?
All the discovery flights I've seen usually come with ground school and 30 minutes of you flying involving basic stuff. Some include start up and shutdown process as well. Others include sim time if they have one. Shop around if possible.
If going the R22 route there's usually a weight limit. So if you're on the heavy side might have to bump up to the R44. But just go for it. Rotor rules. Puts any low wing/high wing status to shame.

Got this email:
I'm Mavis from ********** INC,a professional fitness company.Adore your Youtube channel and we really enjoyed the contents created by you!We'd love to invite you to work with us if you are interested in trying our upgrated indoor spin bike and create some amazing organic content!
Please click on the link below for detailed introduction:
https://drive.google.com/**************************************
We believe you and your fans will love this cool bike! Our goal is to let more people have a healthy body and life!

Yea. Right. They ADORE a 70 year old obese guy's channel and think that I could create some "amazing organic content" with their spin bike. :rolleyes:

****ing spammers.

I was simply trying to point out how after taking a flight in a 172 yesterday, all of my pics seem a little off..........

View attachment 114088

except the last image, which I've cropped out here, 'may' have crossed the line. I mean, I don't think so, but apparently their 'rules' think so, pfffftttt.

What altitude were you at?

So I’m a quarter of the way through my 32-hour justification on why I need an airplane (read: driving Chicago to Denver and back) when we come across an interesting find in a museum in the middle of Nebraska.

BAEEAB34-808A-4D10-A890-22E75B9C7C2C.jpeg

I was going to write you all on what this model was until I found info on it. Apparently this is a Cessna Model A (left the factory on 23 March 1929). This was the airplane Clyde Cessna designed after pulling out of Travelair in 1927 and was the first Cessna with a cantilever wing. The engine is a 110hp Warner and would carry 4 at 130mph!

So I’m a quarter of the way through my 32-hour justification on why I need an airplane (read: driving Chicago to Denver and back) when we come across an interesting find in a museum in the middle of Nebraska.

View attachment 114201

I was going to write you all on what this model was until I found info on it. Apparently this is a Cessna Model A (left the factory on 23 March 1929). This was the airplane Clyde Cessna designed after pulling out of Travelair in 1927 and was the first Cessna with a cantilever wing. The engine is a 110hp Warner and would carry 4 at 130mph!
Pioneer village? I've thought about stopping there on my annual northern New Mexico archery elk hunt, while cursing myself out for making the drive when I've got a plane...but then realize I really don't want to spend more time than I have to in the state.

View attachment 114201

What may I ask has you re enacting the Griswold journey?

Pioneer village? I've thought about stopping there on my annual northern New Mexico archery elk hunt, while cursing myself out for making the drive when I've got a plane...but then realize I really don't want to spend more time than I have to in the state.
Yes. It’s pretty neat, though most of it was closed due to the recent snow storms - it’s buried under loads of snow.

What may I ask has you re enacting the Griswold journey?
Driving to Colorado to hit the slopes with the family. After being shocked how much plane tickets are, and rental cars… we decided to just drive it. We would have taken private aviation* had the weather been better than OVC002 1/2sm vis the day we left.

* it sounds silly wanting to pay for private aviation but not an airline, but those are separate buckets in our budget where the former is well funded - the latter is not.

100% with you on the different buckets / Dave Ramsey envelopes. Are you in the aqua green family truckster or the Robin Williams rental RV?

Fer cryin' out loud folks.... if'n your gonna use chocks, use chocks.!! Look at the one on the front wheel. If the wind picks up what good will that little thing do.??

Airfields_CA_Ventura_htm_63d20d6f.jpg

Found 4 mice in my traps this afternoon, and it's only been 10 days since I checked them last. That's more than I've killed total in the 2+ years I've had the hangar. Wonder why the sudden increase in activity.

Found 4 mice in my traps this afternoon, and it's only been 10 days since I checked them last. That's more than I've killed total in the 2+ years I've had the hangar. Wonder why the sudden increase in activity.

Perhaps it's warm in there and they found something to eat ... o_O

Back