Advanced GTN750 topics

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I am flying to some places that I am hearing with more regularity the dreaded "cleared to the abc 095° radial, 43mi fix".

How do I make that waypoint (quickly)?

Home > waypoint info > create wpt

Position allows radial/radial, radial/distance, lat/lon inputs.

Create

Then Direct To > waypoint > the waypoint you just created should populate > activate

I learned how to use the Activate Leg feature last week.

How about the OBS mode?

If you have ForeFlight and a FS510 with your GTN, the easiest way to define the radial and radial distance is to enter the VOR into the route, followed by the VOR/radial/distance and send it to the panel.

If you have ForeFlight and a FS510 with your GTN, the easiest way to define the radial and radial distance is to enter the VOR into the route, followed by the VOR/radial/distance and send it to the panel.
I'll disagree with you there, John. It may be a question of technique that fits some but not others but I don't think setting it up in Foreflight (where you have to remember the correct structure and figure when you need to use a reciprocal) and transferring it over is any easier or more efficient than setting it up in a GTN (where it prompts you all the way and lets you use either radial or reciprocal).

Why would one need to enter a reciprocal? I find it much easier to enter a route rather than go through the dialog for setting up a user waypoint and then adding the user waypoint to a route. In the OP case, I would simply enter "ABC ABC095049" to describe the radial route to the fix with a magenta line and use the send-to panel to transfer the route to the GTN. The technique only works if the aircraft is equipped with an FS510, so it would not apply to every situation. To accomplish the same thing on the GTN one taps Home>Waypoint Info>Create Waypoint>Position Type>Radial Distance>Ref Waypoint>ABC{ent}>Radial>095{ent}>Distance>049{ent}>Create. To enter the route assuming the waypoint created was USR005 one needs to go to the flight plan and tap add Waypoint>ABC{ent}>add Waypoint>USR005{ent} to get the same route. If you just enter the USR002 and go direct-to and choose the Course To option, the path will not necessarily align with the radial although you will end up at the right location.

Keep in mind not everyone with a GTN has a flightstream to go with it. Then there’s the subset of plane has GTN and flightstream, pilot does not have compatible app.

OBS mode will allow you to use the radial if the active waypoint is the VOR, otherwise it won't.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I have used OBS mode to hold at a fix, not VOR. Last time was to hold on the 270 radial off SUBIE for the rnav 1 into BMQ. I did not set up a hold in the 750 because I did remember how. I can go old school and treat the fix as a vor and use OBS mode. I know I should relearn how to set up a hold in the box but I get them so rarely that I forget.

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2213/05772R1.PDF

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but I have used OBS mode to hold at a fix, not VOR. Last time was to hold on the 270 radial off SUBIE for the rnav 1 into BMQ. I did not set up a hold in the 750 because I did remember how. I can go old school and treat the fix as a vor and use OBS mode. I know I should relearn how to set up a hold in the box but I get them so rarely that I forget.

Pretty sure John said VOR because that was the question, it works with any fix. There is nothing wrong with choosing to do it the "old "way.

Why would one need to enter a reciprocal? I find it much easier to enter a route rather than go through the dialog for setting up a user waypoint and then adding the user waypoint to a route. In the OP case, I would simply enter "ABC ABC095049" to describe the radial route to the fix with a magenta line and use the send-to panel to transfer the route to the GTN. The technique only works if the aircraft is equipped with an FS510, so it would not apply to every situation.
@John Collins Pretty sure you can send the same data with a FS210.

Keep in mind not everyone with a GTN has a flightstream to go with it. Then there’s the subset of plane has GTN and flightstream, pilot does not have compatible app.

So when I said "The technique only works if the aircraft is equipped with an FS510, so it would not apply to every situation.", I guess I wasn't keeping it in mind?

Here's one from last night; is it obvious how to turn the lighting down?
Blazing bright compared to the other panel instruments!

Here's one from last night; is it obvious how to turn the lighting down?
Blazing bright compared to the other panel instruments!

do you have the manual? it can easily be downloaded, for free, and can help answer basic questions like this.

I would be a little confused if the holding instructions at an RNAV fix included radial terminology since this only applies to a VOR, but would be OK with "Hold east of SUBIE ON the 270 track" and OBS would work fine for that because the track would use the current magnetic variation. If the fix was on an airway and you were to use the radial value in OBS mode to hold at the fix, the airway radial uses the VOR declination for the magnetic variation and the current magnetic variation can differ by as much as 6 degrees on some airways. The GPS would use the current magnetic variation in OBS mode if the active fix is not a VOR. It might not make enough of a difference to be a safety hazard, but it may be outside the allowed error tolerances for the hold. What I was pointing out with my comment was that the OBS mode works differently when the active waypoint is a VOR verses a fix. For a VOR, the VOR declination is used for the magnetic variation to align with radials whereas for any other active waypoint fix, it uses the current magnetic variation and won't necessarily align with a VOR radial.

do you have the manual? it can easily be downloaded, for free, and can help answer basic questions like this.

I thank you for the offer. I did anticipate this suggestion, and wondered how to respectfully address it.
Let's put it down to me being lazy. You see, with just a few moments I can, with the help of generous contributors, receive succinct and up-to-date answers to my questions. Perhaps the answers will help others, too. This does happen on a regular basis on the internet.
Yes I have access to the tomes manuals and should try to spend time with them. I get the whole rtfm thing.
Actually, I have really wanted to have one-on-one training with these devices but that is not feasible in my situation.
Thank you.

…Actually, I have really wanted to have one-on-one training with these devices but that is not feasible in my situation.
Thank you.

Do you have a computer or tablet that will run the Garmin Aviation trainer?

If so, that and paying for ground instruction should make it feasible unless I’m missing something here.

Yes I have access to the tomes manuals and should try to spend time with them. I get the whole rtfm thing.
Actually, I have really wanted to have one-on-one training with these devices but that is not feasible in my situation.
Thank you.
The manuals are an agonizing way to learn. The iPad app is a great way to play with buttons without burning 100LL. There are also some good videos including our own @midlifeflyer, and some others. Read almost any post by @John Collins. Lastly, Garmin has a few decent videos on YouTube that really go through scenarios. This is a link to the full playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF9A599F75408E57F
There's also some shortcuts that aren't well documented. Like on the NAV page, if you press the next fix in your flight plan, it will go directly to the flight plan page. There's a bunch like that. I am about 50/50 in BFR's and IPC's on showing CFI's some tricks they didn't know and them showing me some new ones.

The manuals are an agonizing way to learn. The iPad app is a great way to play with buttons without burning 100LL. There are also some good videos including our own @midlifeflyer, and some others. Read almost any post by @John Collins. Lastly, Garmin has a few decent videos on YouTube that really go through scenarios. This is a link to the full playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF9A599F75408E57F
There's also some shortcuts that aren't well documented. Like on the NAV page, if you press the next fix in your flight plan, it will go directly to the flight plan page. There's a bunch like that. I am about 50/50 in BFR's and IPC's on showing CFI's some tricks they didn't know and them showing me some new ones.
I was just posting about the playlist of the Garmin series when I saw yours. Not everyone can self-learn this, but it's a great start.

The manuals are an agonizing way to learn....

disagree for a question like this (settings). I searched the manual for 'backlight' and found the extremely simple solution in 1/10th the time it took me to read the 'how to' question.

disagree for a question like this (settings). I searched the manual for 'backlight' and found the extremely simple solution in 1/10th the time it took me to read the 'how to' question.
Yeah, that's how I find stuff too. in the aviation world, it's generally a good idea to have at least a working knowledge of required documentation.

and here is the button thingy you hit to search for something so you don't have to worry about how many pages there are:

upload_2023-1-17_17-49-43.png

and here are the whopping 3 whole steps to accomplish this super technical, highly advanced procedure for making something brighter or dimmer:

upload_2023-1-17_17-51-28.png

pages shmages, you don't need to read the dang thing like an alex ryan novel, sheesh.

Back