Airplane camera

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I've recently started doing some filming of landings to judge them better after the fact. I think as I progress in licenses that I would like to do this more and better. I'm reading, it seems a go pro type camera, a mount, a power cable, and some cord to plug into headset should give me HD data and voice. Ideally the camera would show as much data as possible from the instruments. Do any aviation related cameras allow some kind of foreflight integration for additional data? I do not want a camera outside the cockpit, just inside, seeing pertinent outside and maximum instruments.

Any suggestions?
If it matters, I am in a 172.
Thanks

Jokes aside, I don’t know of anything like what you are asking. You can screen record your iPad, turn the camera on, change pages quick one time to sync the iPad to the camera in editing then merge them together in the editing process it you wanted.

You can buy adapters to record headset audio, which can go to a camera or to a separate audio recorder to sync later. There are programs like CloudAhoy that can analyze GPS and EFIS data, I don't know if video is supported. A camera looking at the panel might be all you want though?

You can buy adapters to record headset audio, which can go to a camera or to a separate audio recorder to sync later. There are programs like CloudAhoy that can analyze GPS and EFIS data, I don't know if video is supported. A camera looking at the panel might be all you want though?

Panel, with audio, and some of the outside environment.

As @Radar Contact mentioned, you can screen record the iPad or you can take screen shots. Alternative to that would be to focus a cheap camera on the iPad, ActiveOn Gold or an older GoPro 4. For in cockpit recording I use a VIRB XE with a cable to record audio that comes with the aviation package.

A GoPro you can attach to the side window with a suction cup mount will do what you want. You can get an audio adapter that hooks into the USB-C port of the GoPro and daisy chains with your headset. The audio adapter will also accept a charging cable you can attach to a power bank to power your camera during long flights. I went with a GoPro 7 no frills box from Amazon, not the latest and greatest in the shiny new box. Alternatively, get one of the knockoff GoPro cams and record the audio separately with an appropriate adapter cable and sync in post production. That's a little more complicated but flexible and cheaper. There are lots of tutorials on the web.

I'll never buy another GoPro, I'm too tired of spending a half hour trying to connect to the phone app every time. I got a couple Akaso cameras, a fraction of the Gopro price and far better software.

One camera looking at the panel, one looking outside, audio recorder (can use your phone for that), mix it all together in an editor like VideoPad (free for non commercial use).

I'll never buy another GoPro, I'm too tired of spending a half hour trying to connect to the phone app every time.
The delay can seem irritably long, but I usually seem to connect in ~15 seconds or so. The GoPro Hero 8 makes the screen preview optional, which seems to greatly reduce the connection time over my old Hero 5.

The Hero 8 also includes the "Hypersmooth" vibration dampening system, which seems to really help. Got pretty shaky output with the Hero 5.
(edited from multiple flights, the Bonanza was long gone before I took off)

I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector. It has a free version, but the free version won't handle 4K output.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
please try to get at LEAST 8 minutes of startup, atis, and taxiing before you even take off. then, in-between below average, cringeworthy radio calls, try to fly straight and level for a good 20 minutes or more before landing. please finish it up by asking for people to like and subscribe. I feel we are severely lacking full length straight and level videos in the aviation youtube community. but whatever you do, definitely add music so I can laugh at the anti-music commenters.

but whatever you do, definitely add music so I can laugh at the anti-music commenters.

Yep ... gotta add some music. Only one real flying song is acceptable:

Now ... I need my barf baggie :p

Yep ... gotta add some music. Only one real flying song is acceptable:
Lately, when I've tried to post videos to YouTube with music, they get flagged for copyright infringement.

Ron Wanttaja

Lately, when I've tried to post videos to YouTube with music, they get flagged for copyright infringement.

Ron Wanttaja

You have to use royalty-free music on Youtube. Any use of copyrighted material will be flagged. I have to suppress the audio during the playing of recorded national anthems before games when streaming curling events at our facility because YouTube flags it as copyrighted. For some reason it doesn't flag the bagpipe music for the preceding procession. Oh, well.

Ideally the camera would show as much data as possible from the instruments.

I suggest a 360 camera such as GoPro Max or Insta360 One R or X2. All these next-gen 360 cameras can record up to 6K 360 videos. The camera allows you to output regular 2D HD videos in any direction you choice. Therefore, it can cover all your instrument panels while recording your stick movement, facial expression. For the aerobatic flights the camera has 2 modes, one can always level the horizon while airplane is rolling (see many of recent Blue Angles, Thunderbirds videos) or mix-and-match the horizon leveling. These output modes, zoom-in, zoom-outs, clip angles and exceptional anti-shake (you can hold the camera and jump around without seeing any shaking) all can be selected from the app during post production. Of course, it can also output as 360 videos for viewing with VR goggles.

Last edited:
The delay can seem irritably long, but I usually seem to connect in ~15 seconds or so.
It's not a delay, it can't connect, and says so. Multiple retries, and maybe it will finally connect.
Is that something new? I had it happen once a long time ago, but usually it just adds a link to where a viewer can buy the music.

I'll never buy another GoPro, I'm too tired of spending a half hour trying to connect to the phone app every time. I got a couple Akaso cameras, a fraction of the Gopro price and far better software.

One camera looking at the panel, one looking outside, audio recorder (can use your phone for that), mix it all together in an editor like VideoPad (free for non commercial use).
I have an Apeman, one of the similar (identical?) clones to the Akaso with decent functionality. Love it.

But I have gotten tired of having to sync, resync, and ultimately change the speed of my audio recording. So I recently picked up a refurb GoPro Hero 3 on eBay for about $35, and a NFlight mic/battery cable. Seems to work just fine with the mobile software. Connects in a few seconds. I only use it to set the camera angle.

Last edited:

Ron Wanttaja
I got flagged once a few years ago but except for that time, I use Creative Commons licensed music or music directly from artists who allow its use with attribution. Haven't had a problem.

Ron Wanttaja

epidemicsound.com is where all the vloggers get their music that youtube doesn't flag.

Is that something new? I had it happen once a long time ago, but usually it just adds a link to where a viewer can buy the music.
I used to use movie music with no problem, but now I keep getting the warnings. Have one with Gilbert and Sullivan for the soundtrack, YouTube not only identified the music, but the performer. It's not relying on the MP3 records of source, either...I did a trial run with all the information scrubbed, and it still identified the song. Irritating, but you have to respect what the algorithms can do.

Have an old YouTube account that I've lost access to; it had several videos with movie soundtracks, and they're still accessible. From what I can see, YouTube started the enforcement about 2009.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting... may depend on whether the music publisher has worked out a deal with YouTube. As I said, all of mine have been acceptable (with attribution added by YT) other than one Steely Dan track some years ago, which I replaced with a Louis Armstrong version of the same tune. Though on one video I did recently the attribution was completely wrong.

I did a trial run with all the information scrubbed, and it still identified the song. Irritating, but you have to respect what the algorithms can do.

The first product I'm aware that could do this was the Shazam app, which they started developing in 1999 and launched in 2004. Relative to technology, it's ancient, a bit like how I feel these days.

I typically mix the camera sound with the music, and it still identifies the music.

When you're an aspiring Youtube hero looking for advice, but don't want to admit what your real plans are...

The Hero 8 also includes the "Hypersmooth" vibration dampening system, which seems to really help. Got pretty shaky output with the Hero 5.
Wild output on a flight today. I clamped the GoPro to the fuel filler neck, facing toward the cockpit. The camera was fixed solidly to the aircraft.

On the flight, another plane was entering the pattern and I waggled my wings to help them spot me. Note the GoPro anti-vibration software ROTATES THE AIRPLANE, keeping the horizon in place.
Pretty impressive. Parts of the video where the aircraft actual turns (vs. waggling the wings) tend to tilt the horizon.

Ron Wanttaja

And don't forget to set up your AOPA legal services plan prior to uploading your video to Youtube.

XEMTRoCvxKamxDosvMP-2tTEkDaXUKPtNHGJfxTuBxLv8Vl-HpG0AOPR4DFOO8nkBBO16Uudj231cy8S-OKCaDB1Mdu7OS2L6cl-JqDjkql-JMIOjh4FyAEtRSsgoqjZTMUaRvSBrX14WW9EFso1lpWAs7138bAo6hju0upWmjnYI596WL5xqP3BT0pC8Crj16gjnZjYotEDqIgaq9rBiKiGEXyhbF2G82xlqDQnuKIXLxlQBuENnwcUUXcfq5nD8_xqyfwcNnDnNOydvoEBCQXFs2AzbA81xTPDzaxsM1oaEbQGfHYozoorbGhH3Lc-2868kAAxmoymr880ju0PkwkXepIJByJcuO_eOOxpuf8UPCb1vPyYyPi1Ncxdn8WKtxDPauCzVWA6WARxxiDH72myLJ5lb6Q2Z5r9nJF7iv7LKCZTUB57uxNzBx2PwkqTynkmoOC3yJqZjA5LoEQKQPpBWhAYqo9ClGtFqpuRSdpXE-0hKxOGzG6j9Kfil-Q0B2hbIcidNqd0KKnRegtcHVWNpJHXE1DkOWFzgNeg_6NXTKEU4_o8IFY_rUmsNmru4JRyI3DAEGN62YOEnaB995JjcQucFjaRt-Ll6lLM2eWBMiETg3n53_lu-hC67XR4RdXlSNjuQdk9TH2o9XN20RJLzy7USz7l9LfBsY8Dg6w_hGAfOI_0xzaZG12l7brJVhRRfo1C5JPGAaWctLqjZAglgI8zENZg29fbvR5h4JMLUiA6YzqXH-J2OY1YdPm6Mvp8lWugKRjiJ-UxAwDyEGx10O_kvDg6opKHuVw85PGu-H0Bl0tlzv2mHmhrf6snGYHUJuDC5jh2znbaSGd7rUr_jzYU3N5zy9bIhbuNw3WGVvzCqkuuFujRlGKyb3a8TyRLxUhB-q0oVOrTuXE8cymeprcVbNcCdjAarT7D4ycOPg=w903-h657-no

I had a student years back, we filmed everything so he could chair fly the flights again, it was a royal pain but a roof mount gopro if you can get the settings right with the white balance and all you can get the outside as well as your panel, just add the audio Jack and it’s perfect

A couple days ago. Nice flying weather and my first trip around "the hills." Using my S22 Samsung phone.

Doesn’t the Garmin Virb camera integrate and display selected instrumentation? Heading, altitude,mspeed, etc? Did they discontinue it? Haven’t heard of it in a while.

OP, I know Martin Pauly and Wolficorn have both made “my video on how I make flying videos.” I’m sure there are others; search around.

I used to use movie music with no problem, but now I keep getting the warnings. Have one with Gilbert and Sullivan for the soundtrack, YouTube not only identified the music, but the performer. It's not relying on the MP3 records of source, either...I did a trial run with all the information scrubbed, and it still identified the song. Irritating, but you have to respect what the algorithms can do.

Have an old YouTube account that I've lost access to; it had several videos with movie soundtracks, and they're still accessible. From what I can see, YouTube started the enforcement about 2009.

Ron Wanttaja
Ron, you can download free music to use with your videos. There are a bunch of sources out there. Just mention the artist at the end of the video.
Here is one source:
https://uppbeat.io/?rt=ppc_bing_search_general_usa&msclkid=76216ada66001912d04c091e6d907fb5

Back