all flights grounded

Still hit or miss here.

View attachment 113877

I can tell you, the system is still not back to normal as of 12:30 CST. The NOTAM manager site we use to issue NOTAMs is still extremely slow to respond to the point of non-functionality. This may be related to the failure, but could also be related to the traffic load of all airports trying to get logged in to verify their NOTAMs as we were directed to by the FAA.

621b68_68b42d7b4d9a4d0690b96c3415513ed9~mv2.png

I'm boarding a Spirit flight from Vegas to Dallas now. All airport operations seem normal. No delays here.

How is it illegal?

91.103 says available information.

With the system down, it's not available, therefore you've complied with 91.103 if you get the weather and info from chart supplements.

91.139 (b)

Whenever the Administrator determines that an emergency condition exists, or will exist, relating to the FAA's ability to operate the air traffic control system and during which normal flight operations under this chapter cannot be conducted consistent with the required levels of safety and efficiency -

(1) The Administrator issues an immediately effective air traffic rule or regulation in response to that emergency condition; and

(2) The Administrator or the Associate Administrator for Air Traffic may utilize the NOTAM system to provide notification of the issuance of the rule or regulation.

Update 5 on the FAA's Twitter site is saying that the ground stop has been lifted. Jet traffic over my neighborhood sounds like it is back to normal.

Think of all the Notams then think of what is truly ‘safety of flight’. I’m talking the vast majority to another large towered airport, IFR ATIS, all that stuff.

You get to the destination airport, ATIS says ILS rwy 27. You fly the approach & land. Any needed details could be offered with ATC along the way, or put it on ATIS.

Sorry, I feel I could complete the flight safely without the ‘notices to air missions’ being up.

Departed the DFW area IFR 8:30am, no problem. Tower told us the stop was just for airlines.

We did sit in the plane for about 2 hours waiting for a pilot. They said it was a result of delays from this morning.

I will avoid asking if the Transportation Secretary is going to demand he reimburse the airlines and passengers and freighters for their costs incurred by the delays.

So, the safety of GA doesn't matter to the FAA?

:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

Well fwiw, we were exempted as well, down here on the Team America side of the proverbial ramp. Ruined the breakfast taco vul push we combat-planned upon hearing .civ were crapping their diapers across town. Nope, back to work for the chatel. Normal ops here all day.

As to the macro issue at hand, I'm not gonna speak the quiet parts out loud buuuhhhhh......

upload_2023-1-11_19-55-18.png

Back