Cessna 414 down in North Palm Beach County

My first thought is always that someone has put Jet-A into the 100 LL hole.

The removal of the wings during the accident sequence undoubtedly was critical in the prevention of a post crash fire. Most big twin accidents have lots of fuel involved, making survivability probabilities low.

I'm really pleased that didn't happen, and hope the injured all recover.

does it actually take 2 years to determine that?

When you’re dealing with lawyers and insurance companies (I repeat myself), yes. You need to make very sure all the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed.

And as someone else alluded, there is a little bit of a manpower shortage.

Control lock left in place.
The control lock was found on the floor behind the rudder pedals and not installed. However, based on the position of the elevator in videos and the fact the lock was usually stored in a bag led to the probable cause. Here is the final report that gives a summary:
https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/102116/pdf
does it actually take 2 years to determine that?
It can take that long but the lock wasn't found "installed" by investigators. However there is still a large log-jam of NTSB reports due to the covid changes. I know of several factual reports not issued and its been over 2 years.
When you’re dealing with lawyers and insurance companies (I repeat myself), yes.
FYI: lawyers and insurance companies have zero to do with the NTSB investigation/reporting process.

FYI: lawyers and insurance companies have zero to do with the NTSB investigation/reporting process.

Point taken with regard to current-state, but would that continue to be the case if their work was proven to be consistently errant due to being rushed? It’s a moot point, but as they say, keeping the honest people honest.

but would that continue to be the case if their work was proven to be consistently errant due to being rushed?
Don't quite follow your point as in my experience the NTSB work is far from "consistently errant." However, they are human and mistakes are made but to me its the exception rather than the norm. That said, the last persons you want smoke checking any accident would be a bunch of attorneys and insurance adjusters. Trust me.;)

I'm taking "Pilot forgot gust lock for $500 Alex".

Probably yanked it out of the yoke after the dust settled.

Don't quite follow your point as in my experience the NTSB work is far from "consistently errant." However, they are human and mistakes are made but to me it’s the exception rather than the norm. That said, the last persons you want smoke checking any accident would be a bunch of attorneys and insurance adjusters. Trust me.;)

We agree, and in no way am I insinuating their work is less than good. Slower, lately, but good.

My assumption is that were someone to put the screws to the speed of an investigatory body’s output without regard to the accuracy of results, the aforementioned lawyers/policymakers, etc would probably get involved pretty quickly because it could upend the established standards of underwriting and/or assigning fiscal responsibility after incidents and accidents.

But you know what they say about assumptions.

Back