Folding E-bicycle.

After OSH 2022 I’d pretty well made up my mind that I wanted to get some sort of “last mile” option. Was looking at various E bikes. After considering size/weight options I’m now leaning towards an E scooter. For as little as I’d use it, I’m having a hard time spending $1K plus.

Best Buy / Costco options are typically the Segway Ninebot models. Thoughts? A different thread I haven’t found? Lots of options online, but I’d prefer to buy local of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OneMotor still looks best for my purposes if it wasn’t so expensive, but this https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/...kit-samsung-powered-v2?variant=32747179311244 is the least expensive from a seemingly reliable company and fairly simple to install; and this https://www.velogical-engineering.com/velospeeder/faq/?lang=en is one of the niftiest with 2 tiny motors, if only it was available in the US.
One could also go with a mid-drive install using the bottom bracket and using one of the less powerful and less expensive Bafang motors in a Kit by Luna https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-middrive-kit/ but this I think is overkill for our purposes, but great for real distances possibilities. As with many though, the choice of the battery is what makes the difference for range.

View attachment 112177
Well... I appreciate the sentiment. Over the last two weeks I have watched a ton of videos about EUCs, especially as it pertains to commuting and learning how to ride. The main thing is to take your time and let the skill develop slowly enough not to get ahead of yourself. I have seen videos where people actually started from scratch and learned to ride in about 90 minutes. I have about four 10-minute sessions and so far I am just riding next to a wall or fence railing. I have come off a few times, but have remained standing each time. One Miracle at a time!

I thought I would give you all an update from your EUC Guinea Pig...
I have been using this video as my primary training guide. How to ride an electric unicycle in 12 steps.

This is not the only video I have watched, but I think it is one of the best for me. This entire video is recorded next to a handrail, and I have wooden deck with a handrail that I can use for practice. The nice thing about a wooden deck is that it is a lot softer than concrete or pavement, so if I fall it doest hurt as much. The nice thing about this video is he divides the skills into 12 easy steps and he stresses leg and foot control with repitition to build muscle memory. He also stresses mounting and dismounting, and single leg control, and dismounting to avoid falls. All of these lessons are done next to a hand rail for safety.

I practice for about 10 minutes at a time, about twice a day. So far I have about 15 practice sessions completed and I am at about step 7 out of 12. Since using his video I have not fallen but before that I did fall once, I just bounced on the deck and picked up without injury. I have stepped off the EUC many times, initially about every third of fourth try, but forced dismounts are starting to become less frequent now, maybe 1 in 6 tries. I have been able to cross a from rail to rail (about 14 feet) several times.

I am still working on the initial charge of the EUC and at last check was still above 56% charge. I plan to recharge when I get down to about 20%.

The only padding I use regularly is a modified knee pad the I use on my inner ankle and lower leg. The inside of my shin seems susceptible to bruising and this has resolved it nicely. I have a strong and weak leg. I was born deformed in my left leg and still have a short Achilles tendon and comparatively weak calf muscle on that side. I have adjusted the EUC with a forward tilt of 5 degrees and it helps a lot.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited:
Here is a quick video of EUC practice on my deck.
I am not very good yet but this is after about 2 weeks of 10 min twice a day. I am getting there.

I took my EUC to the airport about 2 weeks ago. I showed it to some friends, then I took a couple of short rides in the parking lot. I could only mount up by holding on to something, like the fender of my truck. In the next few days I progressed to the front sidewalk and up my gravel driveway to the paved road. No problem on gravel or climbing a 12° (21%) grade. Again I practice about 10 minutes at a time, about twice a day.

Last week I took the EUC out for a fly to another airport. It fit easily in the baggage compartment. I can mount it without help but sometimes prefer to hold something to get the best foot placement. Forced dismounts are rare unless going down a steep hill or turning left. I had no problems on my visit, and getting around my home airport is a breeze. I am very pleased. I have the speed alarm still factory set at 20 kmh (12.5 mph). It is easy to cruise at that speed and it warns you to "please decelerate" when you get there.

I am getting better all the time, but I still don't have the strength and coordination to control the EUC completely with only one leg. I am working on it. One Miracle at a time. Merry Christmas to everyone!

Here is a quick video of EUC practice on my deck.
I am not very good yet but this is after about 2 weeks of 10 min twice a day. I am getting there.
Impressive. If that video were of me, you'd see me hit the railing and go flying over the railing down onto the ground below.

I wonder how many emergency medicine docs ride EUCs?

Impressive. If that video were of me, you'd see me hit the railing and go flying over the railing down onto the ground below.

I wonder how many emergency medicine docs ride EUCs?

It is really not that bad if you take the time to learn to step off when necessary. The 12 step EUC method really works well!

Last edited:
I have just completed my 3rd recharge on my EUC, but I didn't deplete the battery quite as much this time. I found a data page on the app that displays mileage and hours. I have 17 hours and 50.98 km (31.84 miles) on the machine now. My dog likes to run with me when I practice so I have to slow down for him to keep up. I have been learning to carve and mount up without holding anything. It is still easier to get proper foot placement by holding something, but I can get on and off anywhere. I still practice 2 or 3 times a day, about 10 minutes each time. I like it.

Last edited:
I have just completed my 3rd recharge on my EUC, but I didn't deplete the battery quite as much this time. I found a data page on the app that displays mileage and hours. I have 17 hours and 50.98 km (31.84 miles) on the machine now. My dog likes to run with me when I practice so I have to slow down for him to keep up. I have been learning to carve and mount up without holding anything. It is still easier to get proper foot placement by holding something, but I can get on and off anywhere. I still practice 2 or 3 times a day, about 10 minutes each time. I like it.

I doubt that any of them would be suitable for carrying in an airplane, but on a (conventional) bike ride recently I was passed by five riders on what could be described as Electric Unicycles. All of them were equipped with
seats - and two had what amounted to chairs on them (with one resembling an old fashioned school desk). They all seemed to do the job of transporting the rider competently, and didn't appear to be too difficult to ride.
Being low to the ground, the rider simply puts his or her feet down when starting, stopping or standing. Interesting concept. Sorry, no pictures.

Dave

If you have a eBike, keep the battery near you (where you can throw it out the window). Lithium Ion batteries can be exciting when they decide to overheat.
You WILL get bad burns doing that, but will probably survive.

I went with a $100 human powered used solution that fits in the baggage compartment (with some maneuvering)

Eugene

Lipo bags help the heat and flame, but do not stop the cloud of noxious gasses.

Lipo typically have an issue while charging (don't charge in flight) or under high discharge conditions (avoid shorts or riding in the cockpit :D ).

the bromptons are excellent. The folded size is more compact than any of the other folding bikes I’ve seen. I’m surprised more pilots don’t buy them.

Maybe because of the $3000 price tag. :)
I had the serious wantsies for a Brompton; they're the perfect combo of light weight, small folded size, and ease of folding/unfolding. But that price tag...oof! Spec'd the way I wanted: $3000.

A buddy of mine overseas commutes with his Brompton daily, which makes it a reasonable investment, but for the handful of times per year I'd use it it just doesn't make any sense. Especially when you multiply by two for trips with a passenger. I realized I could rent a lot of cars or pay for a lot of Ubers with that $$$.

I had the serious wantsies for a Brompton; they're the perfect combo of light weight, small folded size, and ease of folding/unfolding. But that price tag...oof! Spec'd the way I wanted: $3000.

A buddy of mine overseas commutes with his Brompton daily, which makes it a reasonable investment, but for the handful of times per year I'd use it it just doesn't make any sense. Especially when you multiply by two for trips with a passenger. I realized I could rent a lot of cars or pay for a lot of Ubers with that $$$.
I spent about $1500 for a pair. While not as extreme as $6000 would have been, your rational is mostly correct. The outlier is at those airports where car rentals or Ubers not so available, but that also is exceptional.

I spent $500 x 2 [post #35] (and I spent $500 x 2 for the Strida folding bikes before purchasing these folding eBikes years ago). The primary purpose is not to replace Ubers or car rentals. In the past 1.5 years, my wife and I have enjoyed numerous biking trips, either via car or airplane, previously impossible due to eBike allowing us to ride longer distances and more challenging terrains. For example, the following trip from the Borrego Valley (L08) to the majestic scenery of the Borrego Sprints is impossible without a folding eBike. There is no rental car in the desert and the round-trip distance is 11 miles.

In the past year, I also biked to the London bridge from Lake Havasu (KHII) even though I had previously traveled to the same destination using the crew car. Riding the bike allows me to visit the river bank and around the town I never could enjoy before. The total distance is around 19 miles.

Last edited:
I spent $500 x 2 [post #35] (and I spent $500 x 2 for the Strida folding bikes before purchasing these folding eBikes years ago). The primary purpose is not to replace Ubers or car rentals. In the past 1.5 years, my wife and I have enjoyed numerous biking trips, either via car or airplane, previously impossible due to eBike allowing us to ride longer distances and more challenging terrains. For example, the following trip from the Borrego Valley (L08) to the majestic scenery of the Borrego Sprints is impossible without a folding eBike. There is no rental car in the desert and the round-trip distance is 11 miles.

In the past year, I also biked to the London bridge from Lake Havasu (KHII) even though I had previously traveled to the same destination using the crew car. Riding the bike allows me to visit the river bank and around the town I never could enjoy before. The total distance is around 19 miles.
The way you use your ebikes seem ideal and I like the form factor as well. In fact, the trips you are making were the impetus for my process as I was trying to consider alternatives to the rental car shortages, if even available, and price gouging during the pandemic at multiple national park destinations on trips with my wife.

A few points though:
When I was exclusive pedal power in the days riding my road bike, 20-30 mile trips if not more were the normal exercise routine. The reality with these folders is there is some degree of loss of efficiency/comfort. The main impediment however is that I’m not in the same biking shape, and certainly that is asking a bit too much of most of us or our passengers-thus the need for the ebike, or it’s conversion.
The second point is that the roughness of these small wheel bikes need to be mitigated in various ways. I have chosen full suspension while you have found shock absorbing seats.
The last point is the frequency with the use of the ebike. If you’re not using it enough, the monetary value proposition is out of whack to even go through the hassle. But more importantly, I’m starting to think if you are not using them regularly, you run the risk of misusing your batteries which will alter the lifetime, and at worse, create potential dangerous battery situations making those safety battery bags in the plane even more important.

Last edited:
Back