Most Memorable Flight or Moment of 2022

Retired Delta pilot I flew a few months back. Coded, med crew got him back. I got him to surgery in 23 minutes vs a 1 hour 45 minutes by ground. What’s scary is it was a flight I almost turned down for storms. A split second decision that very well might have saved a life.

2318EB1C-5DAB-4EDA-BD31-C455CA2BC995.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to pick one but I have two in 2022 that really stick out.

1) I flew my Bonanza to Sun N Fun. A lot of fun and great experience.

2) Bought a Baron in California and flew it cross country back to Little Rock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting IFR recurrent after a long layoff - in a new airplane, in a new location, with new tech. Found out that while a Cirrus is a good airplane, it's not all that special.

Having an ADS-B target ghost right on top of me on departure climbout from OFP at 400' AGL, same altitude, 90 degrees to my course so I couldn't have seen it if WAS a real airplane. No real safe way to evade that close to the ground.

A real thrill.

Pretty cool. Airplanes are common enough, but an elusive AOPA hat is a rare thing!
My credit card got hacked, so I got a new one. Just happened that the original is what I paid AOPA with. Was busy with other stuff, and finally subscription expired. They emailed and offered the hat to get me to sign up again. Same as has been reported before. Neat hat, actually. Now my favorite.

Flew my wife to St. Simons Island for Valentine's which include a brief bout of IMC just after takeoff on the return flight.

Picked up my CP-SEL followed by CP-MEL in April.

Flew the club twin solo (first time I've ever been solo in a complex or a twin so it really stands out in my mind).

I've got three kids now 15, 13 and 11. Took the now 15 year old up a few times before my GA sabbatical from really 2009-2022 (Thanksgiving 2021).

Joined a flying club this year and reintroduced 15 year old to flying but then on 12/31 . . . Took my girls up for their first ever GA flight. Nice conditions and a nearly perfect landing they'll never fully appreciate.

3C5453BC-7BD1-4FA4-8EA5-F040EEF479DD.jpeg

My trip to Oshkosh in the little Cherokee that could. From Ft Worth to Indiana for my aunts funeral, then dodging storms from there (along with bouncing along the Lake Shore of Chicago) to arrive at OSH at about 6pm.

I survived (my tent not so much) the Saturday thunderstorms.

The other trip we just completed. Down to Tepic Mexico then drive into Punta Mita/Puerta Vallarta. The Columbia is such a capable plane (as long as it stays out of the shop).
Total of 165 flight hours. 100 in the Cherokee and 65 in the Columbia.

40D6DABE-C492-4C00-84EB-9B7C80B797C0.jpeg

GA is a vehicle to making memories. For 2022 the most memorable (not for good reasons) was coming out to a flat tire when I was taking my love to a surprise concert for her favorite musician. An hour flight turned into a 4 hour drive :(

On the positive side....flying into KIAD was memorable for me. And the dozens of flights with my kids to go to the lake, basketball games, etc.

It’s hard to pick just one. 2022 was by far my most adventurous year so far.

Memphis, Myrtle Beach, Panama City, Tampa… the list goes on.

The PA-32 fly-in at OLV in May was a great time. I got to meet @Rgbeard and hang out for the day in Memphis, it was quite fun. The day trip to Panama City, my weekend in Tampa with a very memorable and valuable return flight home etc., all in all, about 125hrs logged last year. Hope this year is even better!

It’s hard to pick just one. 2022 was by far my most adventurous year so far.

Memphis, Myrtle Beach, Panama City, Tampa… the list goes on.

The PA-32 fly-in at OLV in May was a great time. I got to meet @Rgbeard and hang out for the day in Memphis, it was quite fun. The day trip to Panama City, my weekend in Tampa with a very memorable and valuable return flight home etc., all in all, about 125hrs logged last year. Hope this year is even better!

You left the pattern! :)

We thought it was a clogged carb jet. It eventually turned out to be winter gas and ambient heat... it would only happen after an extended run at full throttle under heavy load. Difficult or impossible to reproduce on the ground, depending on how warm the day was. But, just about the time you got clear of the end of the runway... pucker time. After draining the remaining fuel and replacing with fresh it's been fine. I, on the other hand, seem to have misplaced my testicles and haven't been back up after the most recent (and successful) test flight.

Trip back from NH into the remnants of hurricane Ian. Stopped in Reading the night before due to lack of alternates (and needed gas) and then the next day with alternate options and four hours of fuel shot my first RNAV to mins back into FDK. Satisfying.

Back