Night Flying is Magical

talkingbob

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JonC
I love the sights and sound of being in a single engine prop plane (prop up front) on a cool, calm and clear night. It's so very magical to me and oddly... cozy as well - if that makes sense.
I figure it's the closest I will most likely ever come to being in outer space. The atmosphere outside the cabin seems more vast and the ground feels just a little bit farther away...
Of course, flights like these end with the gloriously peaceful moment when the engine is quiet/idle (I tended to come in high at night) and everything has been set up. Flaps are where they should be, gear is where it should be and you are "on speed" on final. There's now not much to do but watch that gloriously lit trapezoid slowly fill the windscreen more and more. It's as if it's telling you, "You're almost home". The relative silence finally broken by the shrill squeak of the airplane's tires coming to rest on the pavement...

Although I quit night flying (personal minimums when I turned 70) early on almost half of my logged time was at night. West Texas on moonless nights are black as ink. Slicing through the smooth atmosphere with only an occasional barn light it was not hard to imagine the glow of town lights on the horizon as distant galaxies. Thanks for reviving that memory.

I agree wholeheartedly on the beauty aspect, but I've just never been able to get comfortable flying at night. Having landed a couple times due to engine trouble has reinforced that for me. I find that I don't even like to drive at night anymore, so maybe I'm just getting old lol. I'd like to try it in a twin.

I will say, one of my most magical flyiing memories came when I was a pretty newly minted pp, flying back from a club meeting at BMI, so just a short hop. It was probably 10pm in December, and about halfway back I got into a light snow shower. At first I was terrified as I didn't know snow was relatively benign, but when it didn't stick I relaxed. I wasn't even sure what I was seeing until I turned the landing lights on, and then I was blown away. It was like the experience of driving through snow at night times 10. At double the speed and without the ground to distract, it looked exactly like the star trek warp speed effect. So cool; I'll never forget it.

I also love to fly at night. During the summer I wait until 7 PM or so to take off and come home in the dark. During the winter after work I have no choice since it get's dark so early. So smooth and cool at night and less traffic on the radio and in the air.
I have countless dusk pictures, this is Galintin Co Ky. New airport that is not even open yet. I did not touch down.
IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

Last edited:
You boys should try a visual approach at Aspen at night. Or landing Pampa TX with rwy lights so bad that you still aren’t sure its a runway on short final.

You boys should try a visual approach at Aspen at night. Or landing Pampa TX with rwy lights so bad that you still aren’t sure its a runway on short final.

I've done a "visual" into Gaston's and 6Y9 at night where there's NO runway lights or beacon. Does that count?

I've done a "visual" into Gaston's and 6Y9 at night where there's NO runway lights or beacon. Does that count?
I have been thinking about doing that at night at my favorite turf airport. I have taken off in the dark from a turf airport with no lights. I normally do a low approach first to scare away any wildlife before landings at dusk. Plus it's fun flying close to the ground, makes feel like I am flying a faster airplane. lol

I also love to fly at night. During the summer I wait until 7 PM or so to take off and come home in the dark. During the winter after work I have no choice since it get's dark so early. So smooth and cool at night and less traffic on the radio and in the air.
I have countless dusk pictures, this is Galintin Co Ky. New airport that is not even open yet.
IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

GREAT photos! That airplane reminds me of the Cessnas I flew for 10 years... [sniff, sniff].

Also, I am glad to hear that there are new airports being built. All I hear about are the ones that go away...

At one point, I had more night landings at W24 than day. I did all my primary night training in a Piper Warrior that was based at that airport. Nothing like coming in over the power substation, then over trees before landing on an upsloping runway as one of your first night landings as a student pilot! For those unaware, W24 does have runway lights and a single tri-color VASI.

I wish I had my camera with me on one night flight. Flying up the coast at night, with the full moon rising over the Atlantic.

Words cannot describe the beauty...

A really nice write-up, Talkingbob! Night flying can indeed be serene and beautiful, especially during the summer after the daytime thermals have ceased. Your story reminds me why I love flying— not to “get somewhere” necessarily (though that can be enjoyable also) as so many of our fellow aviators profess, but just for the shear wonder and beauty. It is kind of sad that not many human beings ever get to experience it.

Thanks for your story.

VFR at night in winter in Alaska can be more than awesome. The air is totally smooth, plus with snow on the ground and a full moon the visibility is just about unlimited. The soft glow of the lights from the villages stand out for miles, I mean at 1000 agl over the tundra the glow from the village lights can be seen from up to 100 miles away.

On the other side when there is a high overcast it can be a dark as the inside of a cow. Flying on the gauges is a must. Visibility may be 10+ miles but without lights there is nothing to see. Add a little snow, then turn on the landing lights makes the flight appear as warp speed. The snow flakes are illuminated and look as if they are falling horizontally. One time at night, with no passengers or revenue on board, I turned off the nav lights, panel lights and the interior lights. I could barely see my gloved hands. After about a minute when I turned the panel lights back on, I had drifted about 40 degrees off my heading.

I'll never understand why some folks refuse to fly at night. They just don't know what they are missing. Even flying cancelled checks in the southeast at night was a pleasant flight.

My favorite night flight was from Sebring Florida to Goodyear Arizona. The "boss" had just won the Sebring race in his Ferraris, and we were off in the Falcon 50 to the next race.

I have only seen it this, this one time.........but it was St. Elmo's fire. The windshield was buzzing/flaming with static electricity and occasionally a ball of flame would bounce off and head to the back of the airframe.

Next, there were huge thunderstorms as we crossed the gulf of Mexico. The entire coast was illuminated by this line of storms.

Below us in the gulf, were hundreds of shrimp boats. They all had bright halogen lights and the water was just illuminated brighter than day.

You may find this hard to believe, but there was an eclipse of the moon that night.......and at 41,000 ft we got first-class seats to the view.

I know, you're already "doubting this ****t," but there was still one "grande finale." This was the time when "Hale Bopp" comet was visible. Well, we got a great view of it as well.

End of the true story about why I like night flights. And in the Falcon 50...............a loss of one engine is not an emergency. It is on the "abnormal" procedures checklist.

987611841-2012032314214511501.jpg

My buddy and I were aviation staff officers flying local area IFR for proficiency on a Sunday night at Fort Hood Texas, the only time we could get a helicopter. The radios were quiet. Just one controller and us. Climbing through a thick dark layer of stratus, we unexpectedly popped out on top to one of the most beautiful things I have seen in this life. A brilliant full moon directly in front of us, a sky full of stars above, and a perfect even layer of white below. And reverent silence. Church was in session.

Last edited:
My favorite night flight was from Sebring Florida to Goodyear Arizona. The "boss" had just won the Sebring race in his Ferraris, and we were off in the Falcon 50 to the next race.

I have only seen it this, this one time.........but it was St. Elmo's fire. The windshield was buzzing/flaming with static electricity and occasionally a ball of flame would bounce off and head to the back of the airframe.

Next, there were huge thunderstorms as we crossed the gulf of Mexico. The entire coast was illuminated by this line of storms.

Below us in the gulf, were hundreds of shrimp boats. They all had bright halogen lights and the water was just illuminated brighter than day.

You may find this hard to believe, but there was an eclipse of the moon that night.......and at 41,000 ft we got first-class seats to the view.

I know, you're already "doubting this ****t," but there was still one "grande finale." This was the time when "Hale Bopp" comet was visible. Well, we got a great view of it as well.

End of the true story about why I like night flights. And in the Falcon 50...............a loss of one engine is not an emergency. It is on the "abnormal" procedures checklist.

987611841-2012032314214511501.jpg
Wow what a flight!!
I forgot about this flight this past year or was it last year? I was flying along an thought that is a weird moon. So I snapped a crappy picture with my phone. Got home and discovered it was a lunar eclipse. That is like 90% humidity (hot summer night) and lots of bugs in that picture.
IMG_8242.JPG

Last edited:
It's an IFR affair where I live. lol I do love night flying but the thought of losing the engine at night... not a welcome thought.IMG_3062.jpg

Climbing through a thick dark layer of stratus, we unexpectedly popped out on top to one of the most beautiful things I have seen in this life. A brilliant full moon directly in front of us, a sky full of stars above, and a perfect even layer of white below.

Yes, this! Happened to me once maybe 20 years ago coming out of KSBA. I've been trying to replicate the experience ever since.

C.

Yes, this! Happened to me once maybe 20 years ago coming out of KSBA. I've been trying to replicate the experience ever since.

C.
Very hard to do, I would think. Everything has to be just right. What made it special was the Sunday was right around Christmas/New Years, back in the 70s. Last commuter flight had come into Killeen. Nobody on post to speak of. Just us lowly staff aviators trying to get our minimums before end of the year after all the others had theirs in. And it was late in the evening and quiet. Just us on a critical mission to do holding patterns, until suddenly heaven opened up. Gives me chills to this day. I don't need to replicate it. Too old but that incomparable memory will go with me undimmed, along with many other good ones, to my grave. Guess that is the only thing about it. Wish you all could have seen how bright that moon was! And the stars--they were alive too on that cold winter night. Finally, all the earth below was the purest unbroken white I have ever seen. I hope I have described that breathtaking sight well enough to do it justice.

Last edited:

C.

slightly different experience. Flying a cherokee 140 at 6000' bumping through cumulus clouds (fortunately, no thunderboomers nearby). Popped out of a cloud into a cloud valley (for lack of a better phrase) with completely smooth air and the sun streaming in from the side. Very pretty (and, of course, I also appreciated the break from the bumps).

I have never “liked” so many comments in a single thread before. Thanks everyone for sharing your beautiful experiences. I too love night flying, and feel a brotherly (or sisterly as the case may be) bond with all of you that marvel at the beauty of creation.

I have never “liked” so many comments in a single thread before. Thanks everyone for sharing your beautiful experiences. I too love night flying, and feel a brotherly (or sisterly as the case may be) bond with all of you that marvel at the beauty of creation.

:yeahthat:

One of the fun things about flying at night is when you are on top of the clouds and the lights of the cities are coming up through. Gorgeous.

I remember one time at sundown when I was flying over Kalamazoo, and there was a thin yellow line on the horizon after the sun went down. As I looked at that line, I could see the Chicago skyline sticking up into it, from 85 miles away.

My SW captain buddy and I flew in my 172 tonight, took off at 5 or so and came back after dark. He was at midway yesterday trying to fly for them but as everyone knows they canceled all his flights. Came home early this morning and flew with me tonight. He has an arrow in the hangar next to mine. His old Cherokee is in my signature picture.

Just a follow up on the new airport in Gallatin County Ky. I have been checking up on the airport every 2-4 weeks until here lately being winter and more busy at work. They finished pouring the taxiway this past fall. 5500' long I believe. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I am flying and trying to take pictures. No photoshop used as you can tell.
IMG_2304.JPG

I have never touched down at this airport, low approaches only when no one is there. There is a lot of beautiful concrete for a mile each way!
I go to 8I1 pretty regular right at sunset so the sun is not in my eyes on 27 and it is cooler, 1700'. Fun that you fly through some peoples front yards on the way out of there.
IMG_2284.JPG

Last edited:
Night flying was one of the reasons I pursued my PPL, and I love it!

Last June took a buddy for a really expensive fried chicken. Return leg went over Tuscaloosa, all 4 of his daughters graduated from there.
IMG_0291_20210617_225027.jpg

Did my 3 full stop and taxi backs last night. Good to kick the rust off.

Did my 3 full stop and taxi backs last night. Good to kick the rust off.

Do you feel it is necessary to taxi back? I usually just do stop and go landings. Of course, runway length is a consideration.

One of the curious things in the regs is that as a CFI, I do not have to be current on night landings to teach night landings.

At my home airport it’s usually busy enough they don't do stop and gos. So I just always default to taxi backs. And it gives me a chance to double check things are configured for take off, get the full runway length, etc.

I share a bond with all of you night flight lovers. They are mostly awesome and memorable experiences, in a good way, in the crisp, clear and smooth night time air. My first recollection of that joy was with my PP instructor as he purposefully departed Flushing airport, obtained a TCA clearance at relatively low altitude to Morristown airport, and later back. All those lights from the city were so magical that I was hooked. The multitude of various night time spiritual sights never get old.

Do you feel it is necessary to taxi back? I usually just do stop and go landings. Of course, runway length is a consideration.

One of the curious things in the regs is that as a CFI, I do not have to be current on night landings to teach night landings.
Hmmm...we have an 8000 ft runway; now you have me wondering if I can do all 3 stop n goes in that length...

What's the minimum height AGL for it to count? :D

My Quickest 3 night full stop landings occurred at my 4400 ft runway airport when the control tower indicated there was no traffic inbound, and that I could depart, do a 180 and land rolling to the end, and then repeat. With small magnitude winds in either direction causing minimal tailwinds, very safe and efficient.

Last edited:
Hmmm...we have an 8000 ft runway; now you have me wondering if I can do all 3 stop n goes in that length...

What's the minimum height AGL for it to count? :D

Back