2023 aviation goals

Actually achieve my previous 2 years’ goal of earning my IR. At least I’ve started IFR ground school and plan to take the exam in Q1, then finish before the end of ‘23. And continue flying more than in ‘22; only 30+. Lastly, make at least 2 trips outside of Texas. Made one to Louisiana this past summer.

2022 was busy - I think 2023 is sit back and enjoy the sights. Start teaching fun planes, Seaplane, Multi, & Tailwheel.

& As always hone the skills in the Skywagon - a plane that always keeps me honest.

Edit: I want to rent a DHC2 for an hour too. Bucket list item.

Last edited:
Fly 100+ hours

Instrument rating (written passed in ‘22, so clock’s ticking!)

Make two or three long XC trips (4+ hours or ~500+ miles one-way)

Attend more fly-in gatherings / meals

Last edited:
Finish up IR (should be done end of March)
Fly 150+ hours
Start flying some PALS flights
2-3 1500+ mile XC trips ( 1 so far this year hopefully launching on number 2 Monday)

Be safe.
I logged 308 hours in 22. Would like to equal that.
Would like a greater percentage to be fun flying with family.
Get my MEI.
Get insurance on the 414 without huge increase.

I only flew 82 hours in 2022, so I want to exceed that total. But, my big goal is to finally get a tail wheel endorsement in my dad's 7CCM.

More photo shoots that I want to do! I've been doing too many shoots for magazines. I want to do more warbirds, unique planes, new planes, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love every shoot, every plane, but there are some I really want to capture.

Ratings:
CP-SES (scheduled, start tomorrow!)
CP-MES
CP-Glider

Endorsements:
Tailwheel
High Altitude

Fly the club twin some more. IPC.

High Altitude
How are you going to get this? I've found one of those friend-of-friend-of-friend CFIs who ones a Meridian... but it seems a little sketch.

How are you going to get this? I've found one of those friend-of-friend-of-friend CFIs who ones a Meridian... but it seems a little sketch.
I believe (got to go check this) that you can get it with a restricted breathing apparatus and some instruction. I haven’t yet got a plan, just a goal. My goal is that by the end of 2023, if it’s fixed wing and less than 12,500 lbs (or an MU-2) the FAA will say I can fly it. Insurance and prudence will dictate otherwise of course.

My 2023 goal, just try to remember where I left my airplane!

Between life, work, and weather, I haven't even seen my airplane in months!

(It is still safely tucked away in its hangar, just getting dusty)

Same as every year, log time in a DC-3 and get my seaplane rating. I really need to make this happen at some point.

Same as every year, log time in a DC-3 and get my seaplane rating. I really need to make this happen at some point.
I know of a guy in Atlanta with a DC-3 who could help you out ;)

I did a little digging. Here's the High Altitude Endorsement info:
"Earning a high-altitude endorsement requires classroom instruction, ground training, and flight training from an authorized instructor.

During ground school, you’ll learn about signs and symptoms of altitude sickness, when to use supplemental oxygen, how long you can safely use that oxygen, and more.

Once you’ve completed your ground training successfully, you’ll take to the skies—or to a flight simulator—where you’ll learn how to operate an aircraft at 25,000 feet msl. "

Turns out, Simcom offers it in ground and simulator. I've asked for a quote.

Goals...

#1 Buy Airplane

#2 Fly the wings off of it... well not literally.. but you know

#3 See #2

1. Get back in the air on a regular-ish basis
2. Get @2-Bit Speed started on getting his cert

Flying is a lot more expensive here than it was up in the middle-of-nowhere Iowa. :)

More tailwheel hours than nosewheel.
Alas, not this year. Instead, I upped my preventative mx game. Flew an average number of hours, toured DCA tower and Potomac TRACON.

Last edited:
I don't really set aviation goals. It's a pure hobby for me. I have so many goals for my business, me personally, my family, etc. I actually like the fact that there is no pressure or goals when it comes to flying other than being safe, having fun and not having to spend a ton on unplanned maintenance. I logged 145 hours in 2022 without having set that goal. If I fly as much next year, great. If I'll be closer to 100 as in previous years, that's cool with me as well. I might continue my instrument training. I might start my multi engine training. I might buy or build a hangar. Who knows? When it comes to flying, I want to keep it as pressure free as possible.

Good idea to check in on this thread. Well, ended up closer to the 100 hour mark, although I’d say I covered as much ground, my plane just became faster lol. Didn’t buy or build a hangar. Did buy a new, faster plane though. Renting hangar space is fine for now. Took some instrument training but more so to stay sharp vs working towards my IR. No multi training, thought it’s enough to learn high performance and complex after I bought the Comanche.

My 2023 goal, just try to remember where I left my airplane!

Between life, work, and weather, I haven't even seen my airplane in months!

(It is still safely tucked away in its hangar, just getting dusty)

Well for what it was worth, I have met my 2023 goal. I have flown more this year than any other since I quit regularly instructing, although not enough to brag about. I have managed to get the airplane out of the hangar a minimum of once a month.

That’s pretty ambitious for only 20 days left in the year. :).
20 and a half days! The day is young! Go get 'em!

Meanwhile, in my head: Is 20 (and a half) days enough for epoxy to cure even if I did make the time to trim, adjust, sand, etc. the fiberglass fairings mentioned above? Is the paint shop I wanted to use closed due to retirement as the guy planned this fall or do I still have a chance? Why didn't the paint scheme design company get back to me again? Is the flight instructor study book I bought valid for 2024 or did it expire in 2021? What has happened to the year?!?

Back