Letter

At it’s core, flying is an honesty based activity. Be honest in your personal statement; since your statement is part of a government application, lying on it is falsifying a federal document.

You really don’t want to add any more legal problems to your medical application.

Good luck.

The FAA may not give you a choice to continue drinking and flying. Assuming they do, how can you be sure that you won't think it's a great idea one night after drinking with your new friends to go out and show them your kool pilot skillz? You've already proven with your DUI that you have difficulty judging your intoxication level and making proper decisions when intoxicated. You know now that you made a mistake, but you're sober now and people aren't exactly rational when drunk. And if you did know that it was a mistake while intoxicated and still drove, that would still be proof that you're incapable of being trusted when filled with alcohol.

The way that they see it, you've already demonstrated a terrible lapse of judgment when you got that DUI. They don't like giving people second chances to make more bad decisions. You should not lie to the FAA, but I think it's going to be a very hard sell to say, "Hey, I know I was super-irresponsible this one time with alcohol, but next time, I'll be responsible when I'm drunk!"

Hello! I'm in the process of writing my statement letter to the FAA about my dui last year. I've been a bartender for about 3 years now and i'm unsure how to state my current and future relationship with alcohol. I want to be as honest as possible, but I also don't want there to be any chance that my medical gets revoked. I don't drink often just sometimes going out on the weekends, i'm 24 years old so going out to the bars is one of the main ways to socialize and meet people. I also look at alcohol the way I look at food, a fun way to create something interesting to excite people. Not sure if I should say these things in my letter. I made a huge mistake driving under the influence, and it's something I'll never do again. My drinking habits have changed a lot for the better and i'm not an alcoholic, but I'd feel dishonest if I write in my letter that I'll never drink again. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also if you have any advice on someone who could look over my statement letter, I've heard mixed things about aviation lawyers and saw on a couple forum posts about maybe a HIMS AME. Thanks!
There are many other ways to meet people and socialize. Astronomy club, flower club, flying club, etc.

going out to the bars is one of the main ways to socialize and meet people. I also look at alcohol the way I look at food, a fun way to create something interesting to excite people.
You speak like your true passion is alcohol, not airplanes. The two don't really go together, so you may have a choice to make

i'm 24 years old so going out to the bars is one of the main ways to socialize and meet people.

I am more than twice your age, but even at 24, I did not drink and obviously did not need to hang out in bars to meet people. I think you have a choice to make between airplanes and alcohol as the two are not really compatible.

These threads always bring out the folks who have never made a mistake. You can safely ignore them. You certainly want to tell the truth in your letter. If you're willing to be a teetotaler, say so, but don't say it if you're not going to do it. Otherwise, explain why you think you messed up and what steps you have taken to ensure you don't mess up again. The best person to advise you on the process is likely a HIMS AME because this is what they deal with a lot.

It's the usual answer, Contact Dr Bruce aeromedicaldoc.com the "How to start" link.
You won't like what he tells you, but it will be accurate and will be the best if not only path forward for you to continue flying.
He can advise you on how to respond to the FAA, I would have him review anything I was sending to the FAA before sending it.

My short version take on how the FAA views this.
You abused alcohol and got caught i.e. DUI
There is a very good chance this wasn't the 1st time you did it. This was just the 1st time you got caught. They might be wrong but they are right more than they are wrong.
A DUI shows dangerous attitudes... Anti-authority i.e. DUI is illegal, you did it anyway... Invulnerability i.e. Nothing bad will happen to me. These are not good attitudes to have in an Airplane

Now that you got caught, you are going to have to prove you are not an alcoholic and don't have a dependence problem. Proving that is difficult and expensive. You are also going to have demonstrate a compliance (I learned my lesson) attitude by jumping through all the hoops they require.

If you were driving with a high enough BAC, then you obviously have an alcohol problem, I don't remember what they consider the BAC threshold for this. but if above that level the process will be even more rigorous.

Brian

Also thank you to everyone who commented with advice, it's been an overwhelming process to say the least, so I really appreciate the help!

These threads always bring out the folks who have never made a mistake. You can safely ignore them. You certainly want to tell the truth in your letter. If you're willing to be a teetotaler, say so, but don't say it if you're not going to do it. Otherwise, explain why you think you messed up and what steps you have taken to ensure you don't mess up again. The best person to advise you on the process is likely a HIMS AME because this is what they deal with a lot.
Was the mistake driving whilst likely over the limit, or getting caught doing so? If not for the latter, many likely discount the former, and do it again. It's generally not "a" mistake getting a DUI, it's one instance of getting caught amongst many impair driving sessions. I'm apparently rare in that I learned from the mistakes of others (in my family) and just quit, decades ago.

FAA: You didn't watch Top Gun or The Right Stuff did you?

Sac Arrow: I... I did, but I didn't enjoy them! Those alcoholic heathens!

FAA: Correct answer, young man

Was the mistake driving whilst likely over the limit, or getting caught doing so? If not for the latter, many likely discount the former, and do it again. It's generally not "a" mistake getting a DUI, it's one instance of getting caught amongst many impair driving sessions. I'm apparently rare in that I learned from the mistakes of others (in my family) and just quit, decades ago.
Quit drinking and driving?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back