Portapilot - Portable autopilot?

Still waiting for a pirep from someone who has actually used the device either 172,152,150. Thanks

I sent an email to see if I could tour their facility and learn a little more but haven't heard back. I'll be pretty busy but will try to visit with them after the first of the year.

They are not the fastest in returning e mails

In the spirit of experiemental autopilots, this looks interesting. Attaches to your elevator and aleron trim tabs with tape. (Yes, double stick tape). The things you stick on your plane are RC servos, run by your I pad. Now, what could possibly go wrong....

In the spirit of experiemental autopilots, this looks interesting. Attaches to your elevator and aleron trim tabs with tape. (Yes, double stick tape). The things you stick on your plane are RC servos, run by your I pad. Now, what could possibly go wrong....
Didn’t watch the video…do you put the iPad on an arm forward of the control surface and/or tab to rebalance?

Every time I see this thread I think about this:
port-o-let-it-is-good.jpg

My thoughts as well. Is it really called that? Worst name ever.

We would make fun of guys who would use double sided tape to mount RC servos in foamy RC planes. But I know, the wonders of modern adhesives, etc.

Do they stick them on the paint, or is there some sort of procedure to get to bare aluminum and prep that first. Because otherwise, your servos aren't attached with the strength of double sided tape, they're stuck on with the weakest of either the tape, or whatever the adhesion of the paint is.

Excellent point. They didn’t go that far.

well, experimental AP solutions might be deserving of mockery.... in the same way fac-built $$$olutions deserve contempt from where I sit; so I guess we'll call it even.

The "double sided tape" side of the hobby may be "crazy", but it tends to be less snooty. Certainly less passive aggressive about low-key treating certified price points as a feature and not a bug. But I'll digress here in the interest of not derailing the necro.

I applaud innovation and wish many of the proven experimental solutions were allowed on the certified aircraft without all of the expensive model specific certification.

But radio controlled servos exposed outside the aircraft on critical control surfaces driven by an I Pad is in my “not a good idea” category. Attached by self sticking adhesive is the cherry on top.

Do the instructions include boilerplate language for the NTSB accident report?

Cory Robin installed the same autopilot on his bush plane.

Has anyone actually seen one of these things in the wild? Does anyone have any info on it? I have an older 210 and I know it’s “right” for it- all I want is something to take the “edge” off flying in level flight. It’s soooo annoying to have to kinda fly it all the time. But it’s not worth spending 25k for anything out there on the market. It’s such a crappy spot to be in

Back