STRUGGLING #2

Hi All, QU on my situation: Fast forward 3+ months and I am a newly minted pilot with 120 hours so far! Had my checkride this past Tuesday and passed it.
Congratulations!
Glad you kept up the perseverance to see it to the finish line.
Hopefully many more flying hours ahead (without a broken radio, and flying with people who actually maintain their planes :))
Good luck!

Hi All, QU on my situation: Fast forward 3+ months and I am a newly minted pilot with 120 hours so far! Had my checkride this past Tuesday and passed it. To all of you - THANK YOU! I made a right decision to share my story, asking for an opinion here what to do next. Switching schools was a way to go. I got another approval from TSA in a couple of weeks and was ready to fly with the new instructor at Tree Wings @ KBDR. What a change I must say! The airplanes are maintained much better, the instructor was always available and was scheduling me as I asked him to do: minimum 2 times a week. I also got access to school scheduling system and could do it myself (something I have not had at the other school). I don't even mention coffee and drinks and free candies for my younger kids ( they really enjoy this aspect of my flying :) ). Beautiful airplanes on the field, new people: pilots, mechanics, servicemen... Now, I feel I need more. I want to work on HP and complex endorsements and possibly IFR rating.

And few closing words and advise for those who might find themselves in a similar situation. If you see these in your school:

- You are given an airplane with a broken radio on your solo flight
- Next day you hear your instructor discusses this with the owner and you learn the radio was purchased off eBay and was not properly installed/verified
- You learn from another instructor that all other CFIs have left the school or plan to do so
- Your other instructor, while in the pattern ****es off the airplane overflying a field at 2500' and climbs 2000' on the downwind leg
- Your instructor doesn't use positive exchange control procedure and grabs controls
- Your instructor tells you after a month of being silent he switched phones and lost your number (which is of course available in the school records, right?)
- Praise of the instructor that you do everything great but overall lack of progress towards your goal

Hit the stop button asap and make change.

Clear skies
Dmitry.
Congrats on knocking out the training. Three Wings is my FBO of choice when I fly into BDR and they’ve always been a solid operation. Now go out and get your instrument rating!

I love to read followup posts, when there’s a positive outcome!
Congrats!

You are given an airplane with a broken radio on your solo flight

That's probably a pretty good indication that the people "giving you the airplane" either don't know the regulations or don't care to abide by them.

Great news! Thanks for sharing!

Back