4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot Notice
Notice Number: NOTC2741

Garmin has identified an issue with GFC 500 autopilots with optional auto trim installed in certified, experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft, including certified installations installed with optional GSA 28 pitch trim in accordance with Garmin STC SA01866W. This issue may result in an uncommanded automatic trim runaway when the autopilot is first engaged. This condition could result in a sudden and significant deviation from the intended flight path.

Garmin Service Alert 22109 Revision A requires operators of certified installations to pull and collar the autopilot circuit breaker and placard the autopilot as “inoperative” prior to further flight. Operators may contact a Garmin dealer regarding reactivation of the GFC 500 autopilot with the optional pitch trim configured off in accordance with recommended service bulletin 22110 Revision A.

Garmin is working to fix this issue for certified installations in a future software update expected in Q4 2022.

Garmin Service Bulletin 22112 Revision A requires operators of Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft to update system software or disable the autopilot or trim control prior to further flight.

Service Alert 22109 Rev A is available at:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/mZwVwMogJ09ZLIPJgWTBJA

The recommended Service Bulletin 22110 Rev A is available at:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/s7SeFk9oh96I8qVfjtNbV8

For non-certified aircraft, Service Bulletin 22112 Rev A is available at:
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/aviation/faq/QFnVz92cFZ5AvovG4LF6l5

If you have any questions or comments, contact the Wichita ACO Branch at:
Phil Petty
1801 Airport Rd.
Wichita, KS 67209
(316) 946-4139

Above is from an email I received from FAA safety.

Are these required?
Anyone know the back story on this?

I am neither an aviation lawyer nor an A&P, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but...

Service bulletins are optional for pt 91.

My understanding is they've had a few systems start running trim down unexpectedly. I'm not doing anything beyond being aware of where my breakers are. A/P disconnect button kills the electric trim.

The software fix is already avaliable for experimentals; waiting on approval for certified systems, so I'd expect it within days.

I don't know the inner workings of these things, but I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for the service bulletin was to light a fire under FAA to approve the new software version.

Are these required?
As mentioned they are technically not required to be complied with under Part 91. However, there are times when it is prudent to address some which in my opinion this is one of them.
if the reason for the service bulletin was to light a fire under FAA to approve the new software version.
I've got 10:1 the reason for the service bulletin is to convince the FAA they got this issue under control and not to issue an AD.;)

As mentioned they are technically not required to be complied with under Part 91. However, there are times when it is prudent to address some which in my opinion this is one of them.

I've got 10:1 the reason for the service bulletin is to convince the FAA they got this issue under control and not to issue an AD.;)

Garmin faces no costs or liability if an AD is issued. If anything it gives Garmin more cover... How do you claim damages when you didn't follow legally mandated maintenance?

Garmin faces no costs or liability if an AD is issued.
Has zero to do with liability or cost. No OEM wants an AD issued against their product. Bad business. Simple.

Back