Selling my Mooney

A while back thieves stole a batch of blank BoA cashiers checks, so, fraudulent checks can actually be real checks with no visible clues. I told a scammer once I would wait two weeks after depositing his check before delivering the product. He disappeared. We had exchanged several e-mails so he had some time invested in the scam. Even waiting two weeks is problematic b/c your bank my charge you a fee for depositing a bad check. Ask them their policy before you do. I only accept cashiers checks when I can call the issuing branch with the serial number and confirm they issued it.

Once it gets bad enough the lanes get replaced. Creeps me out, but it beats going blind.
Best thing that ever happened to me.

Now I can walk, drive, fly, pee, just about anything except reading without glasses. I do wear the glasses all day because I've been wearing them since 2nd grade and it's no big deal, but they aren't coke bottle thick and when they fog up when I walk in out of the cold I can just take them of and still function.

So I'm still getting texts from this guy, there is a tracking number but nothing is on the way. Until the day of the OSU/Michigan game that is, when the check arrived.

Last edited:
There's some guys up in Maryland who are in need of a new Mooney.
I' not sell it to that guy for any money, he's wrecked enough airplanes. Hey, that Mooney went head first into a tower, ripped the engine off its mounts. The cockpit is intact and the occupants unhurt beyond a bit of hypothermia waiting to get down from the tower. Mooneys are stout as can be.

Once it gets bad enough the lenses get replaced. Creeps me out, but it beats going blind.

So I've thought all along the $110,000 thing was a scam, but one of the dude's many texts does have a tracking number that works, and links to something being delivered to the Steinholme.
I just recently had the cataract lense replacement done. It was one eye at a time - and the results have been amazing. It does sound creepy, having some doctor poke into your eyeball - but, get a good doctor to do it, and it's not really that big a deal! I was quite near-sighted as long as I can remember, with vision gradually deteriorating faster in the last few years. The last prescription change (pre-surgery) was only good for maybe 6 months.
But now, I have better vision than ever before - for everything but reading, or seeing the panel in low-light. As typical, some 'reader' glasses are needed for shorter distances.
If your eye doctor says you're ready for cataract surgery, don't hesitate - get it done! You won't regret it!

If you're selling an aircraft, use a known aircraft escrow company (most are based in Oklahoma City). It's not that expensive (fee can be split with the buyer). It protects all parties. If buyer won't do this, walk away. If you're a buyer and seller won't do this, walk away.

I just recently had the cataract lense replacement done. It was one eye at a time - and the results have been amazing. It does sound creepy, having some doctor poke into your eyeball - but, get a good doctor to do it, and it's not really that big a deal! I was quite near-sighted as long as I can remember, with vision gradually deteriorating faster in the last few years. The last prescription change (pre-surgery) was only good for maybe 6 months.
But now, I have better vision than ever before - for everything but reading, or seeing the panel in low-light. As typical, some 'reader' glasses are needed for shorter distances.
If your eye doctor says you're ready for cataract surgery, don't hesitate - get it done! You won't regret it!

Where did you get it done? Can it be done if you don't have cataracts?

Why wouldn’t you just get some version of LASIK/PRK instead?

I know there are some instances where it’s contraindicated and replacement lens exchange is an option.

So I'm still getting texts from this guy, there is a tracking number but nothing is on the way. Until the day of the OSU/Michigan game that is, when the check arrived.

I can't figure out if you are seriously thinking about going for the scam or not. But don't do it. I've been getting rid of stuff via marketplace and the scammers are everywhere and they are easy to fall for.

Sending extra money then asking you to send money back is a classic. You get the check, submit it your bank. The scammer wants his money sent immediately, you know, before the fake check he sent bounces. If you send it, Steiner becomes poorer, and hopefully a little wiser

I've been getting rid of stuff via marketplace and the scammers are everywhere and they are easy to fall for.

You are correct. I recently sold a couple of vehicles and used Craigslist & FB market place (I don't Fakebook but a friend listed them for me). I got me a scammer with that same MO and I simply deleted the contact and blocked the sender. I like dealing face to face and using real money ...

I' not sell it to that guy for any money, he's wrecked enough airplanes. Hey, that Mooney went head first into a tower, ripped the engine off its mounts. The cockpit is intact and the occupants unhurt beyond a bit of hypothermia waiting to get down from the tower. Mooneys are stout as can be.
He had five partners.

My Cousin, a Nigerian Prince, posted on to me the ad for your Mooney to me. I'm now working on remote oil drilling platform way far located in the North Sea, and am because unable send you the financial instruments stipulated for your transaction; butt weight, I can send you a Western Union postpaid money gram in the size of $115k. Another Cousin, also too a Nigerian Prince, will travel to your home to collect the $40k excess payment, since he lives nearby to where your residents. All I need is your home address, bank routing and account numbers, and the hanger of your airplane. Since I'm located on in oil platform on the North Sea, I could not be reached for any further talks of this transaction. Speed is of the essence.:p

As many of you know, I am in the process of selling my beloved Mooney, I'm asking $75K. Someone texted me, offered to purchase it sight unseen. The only catch was they wanted to pay $110K and have me send $35k to the "shippers". Never heard of shipping an airplane, but whatever.

That's a type-o. It's supposed to say "strippers."

I know there are some instances where it’s contraindicated and replacement lens exchange is an option.

Said I wasn't a candidate for PRK and the Lasik ends up having to be redone.

My wife had just about every complication you can have from her first LASIK. She's still happy to have it. She now understands the clock that projects the time on the ceiling in our bedroom.

For that amount of money, insist on a bank
My LASIK lasted for 12 years before any noticeable change. Best money I ever spent!
at what age? It works if you are young.

In my experience they do, same scam 20 years ago except I was selling a motorcycle. Called bank, gave them check number and amount, they confirmed check was bogus (it was missing water marks that I expected).

My bank or branch may be less forgiving. What they said was they can call to see if a check was issued, but they can't promise that any specific check is legitimate. It might be a local thing. Or it might be a case of one real check being issued, and duplicated multiple times.

I should restate as "they might tell you if it's fraudulent, but the only way tell that it's legitimate is to wait until it actually clears." And actually clearing is different than the money appearing to go into your balance. My local bank, depositing a cashier's check, puts a multi-stage hold on the check, which goes out a couple of weeks.

My GP said another one of his patients had this done just for vision correction. It would be pretty spendy, probably $5000 - $6000 per eye for the good implants if you were paying out of pocket. You could contact an eye surgeon who does these to see if he'd consider doing one just for vision correction.

I had Dr. Paul Brown, under Metro Health GR / U of M. I'd guess that it could be done w/o cataracts, but insurance would not cover. Don't know if there's other issues in that situation. Total 'list' price was around $14K, but insurance covered all except about $1k.

Just the other day a rip-off artist was at work in Janesville, WI. The older Dodge truck was listed on Facebook marketplace. The ‘buyer’ showed up & payed with counterfeit cash, then drove off.

I guess it will be a parts project, the VIN number should be locked.

Had some fun with the scammer, asking him when he was going to come get his airplane.

Make up a fake government agency names and send him a tax bill and registration fees. Also a made up second lien and attorney letter. And finally a criminal investigation notice because the plane had not only been used in a murder, but also a selling scam.

LASIK has replaced PRK from what I know. LASIK can be great, but you lose some night vision and acuity.

Had some fun with the scammer, asking him when he was going to come get his airplane.

Tell him you need a copy of his pilot's license. Is it a federal crime to falsify a federal document / certificate / license / rating / endorsement? (see that other thread for more details...........)

Tell him you need a copy of his pilot's license. Is it a federal crime to falsify a federal document / certificate / license / rating / endorsement? (see that other thread for more details...........)
Does one need a pilot's license to own an airplane?

FWIW, even if the check clears that doesn't mean you get to keep the money. If someone writes a fraudulent check and the legitimate account holder notices it on their next statement, they can claw back that money.

Scammers generally have absolutely no problem violating US laws. Scammers outside the US have even less hesitation. It's not like anyone is going to prosecute 99.9% of the time anyway. Seems to not be a high risk occupation.

Make up a fake government agency names and send him a tax bill and registration fees. Also a made up second lien and attorney letter. And finally a criminal investigation notice because the plane had not only been used in a murder, but also a selling scam.
I like the way you think. Are you Tom Mabe?

For that amount of money, insist on a bank

at what age? It works if you are young.

I think I was 33 or 34 when I had it done. It was my divorce present to myself and cost $4500 with life time tune ups for $500 an eye. Unfortunately the owner retired and the guy that took over ran the business into the ground.

LASIK has replaced PRK from what I know. LASIK can be great, but you lose some night vision and acuity.

I never noticed much of a loss. I've always been in combat arms so that means a lot of night operations and after the initial light sensitivity was gone, things seemed great. Maybe it was just because everything was so clear.

Sorry to see you sell the Mooney. Hopefully it goes to a good home. Do you plan to continue to fly or are you done?

FWIW, even if the check clears that doesn't mean you get to keep the money. If someone writes a fraudulent check and the legitimate account holder notices it on their next statement, they can claw back that money.

And that's a reason to accept a cashier's check after it clears, rather than a business or personal check. If a person or company's bank account is compromised, or forged checks are written against it, it can take a while to sort out and reverse. Now if someone compromises a *bank's* checking account, that bank has bigger problems than a cashier's check for 30k being issued. Not saying it's impossible, but a lot less likely. Plus banks are generally much better at protecting their money than yours or mine.

Back