Small plane crashes at Torrance, CA - TOA

Hadn't heard of this plane. It's pretty sexy looking. Rip.

Given the mandated very low stall speed of an LSA, it should be difficult to stall. Given the condition of the wreckage, it appears that someone succeeded.

Not sure this one is an LSA. Either way the 45 kt / 52 mph stall speed given for LSA aircraft is very close to training aircraft i.e. a Cessna 150.

One main difference here is the structure of the aircraft. Recently there was a Lightning crash at an airport in Tennessee. A friend is there and I got to look at the crashed plane. I was not overwhelmed with the build structure, although admittedly, I'm not an engineer and my plane builds have been done with aluminum. Still, I was surprised at the way it appeared to have just cracked apart like an egg shell.

Pic below shows the Lightning crash in Torrance. It ain't pretty ...

A bit different than the intact pax compartment of the Mooney in the wires.

Mooney roll cage didn’t help this poor guy.

upload_2022-12-2_22-17-34.jpeg

Last edited:
70DFFF0E-DA5C-42A2-A384-F1BCBC712F7A.jpeg Only the Jabiru version is an LSA.

A bit more information in this video with ATC audio:

Given the mandated very low stall speed of an LSA, it should be difficult to stall. Given the condition of the wreckage, it appears that someone succeeded.
Just because the stall speed is low doesn't mean it's difficult to stall as you're likely flying slower to begin with.

Just because the stall speed is low doesn't mean it's difficult to stall as you're likely flying slower to begin with.

I'm guessing that once the plane stalls the plummet to mother earth is nearly the same speed ...

LSA restrictions makes the planes harder to fly well. As stated above, slower stall doesn’t mean less likely to stall.

Back