BasicMed and prior Class 3 denial for SSRIs

Dangerfish

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gator
Hi all,

I am again looking in to obtaining my PPL. 4 years ago, I started ground school, went to get my medical exam and only then learned that taking an SSRI was a non starter. I've been on an SSRI for probably 20 years. I believe I got a letter in the mail stating that I was denied and I was able to grab this screen shot from FAA MedXpress today. I just learned about the BasicMed and that seems like it would be perfect for me. However, it seems that a prior denial would make this a non option for me? Can anyone please confirm?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 2.13.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 2.13.30 PM.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 112
Unfortunately you need to have received at least a third class medical and not have had it denied, suspended, or revoked to qualify for BasicMed.

Unfortunately you need to have received at least a third class medical and not have had it denied, suspended, or revoked to qualify for BasicMed.
Yeah. A denial precludes both BasicMed and sport privileges.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/section-61.23#p-61.23(c)(3)

(ii) The most recently issued medical certificate -

[...]
(C) Cannot have been suspended or revoked.

(iii) The most recently issued Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate cannot have been withdrawn; and

(iv) The most recent application for an airman medical certificate submitted to the FAA cannot have been completed and denied.

So, my only option is to come off the meds for 6o days and go for a new Class 3?

So, my only option is to come off the meds for 6o days and go for a new Class 3?
Well, maybe. They also care about the reason you were on the meds to begin with. If this is a course you want to take, you want to consult with an aviation medical professional about what else, if anything, you might need to do or provide.

Not sure it is that easy. There are some sticky postings that go into this topic in detail. I suggest a look.
From my reading, it is. This screen shot is from the FAA website Guide for AME's. It's seems that as long as my PCP agrees that all is good, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 3.14.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 3.14.38 PM.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 72
Suggest you reach out to one of the expert AME's and pay for a consultation. He will also be able to tell you generally how many years, how many thousands of dollars, what kind of testing, and even if it is possible.

So many factors - what SSRI were you on, any combinations, etc. I fear it is not as simple as a note from your PCP. And given you're on an SSRI for 5 years, seems like for your good health it is needed. M2C - don't jeopardize your health. If you were a diabetic, you wouldn't stop taking insulin.

There are certain SSRIs that are allowable under certain circumstances. Find a HIMS AME and figure out what pathway you have to medical certification.
Ya, I'm not going to go down that path. I'm not on one of those 4 SSRIs and I'm not gonna mess with the SI process

From my reading, it is. This screen shot is from the FAA website Guide for AME's. It's seems that as long as my PCP agrees that all is good, then it shouldn't be an issue.
I would read the stickys on this subject. They are located at the top of the medical forum.

I think he's planning on just getting a new SSN.

Seriously, though, OP, it's not going to be a note from your doctor and a thumbs-up from the AME unless conditions requiring meds for twenty years have gotten a lot less serious since last time I checked.

If it were only as easy as that flow chart, but the FAA needs to get their kickback from the COGSCREEN guys so you almost certainly get derailed into a HIMS neuropsych evaluation.

Hi all,

I am again looking in to obtaining my PPL. 4 years ago, I started ground school, went to get my medical exam and only then learned that taking an SSRI was a non starter. I've been on an SSRI for probably 20 years. I believe I got a letter in the mail stating that I was denied and I was able to grab this screen shot from FAA MedXpress today. I just learned about the BasicMed and that seems like it would be perfect for me. However, it seems that a prior denial would make this a non option for me? Can anyone please confirm?
Please ignore the snarky remarks and inside jokes. The correct answer is the advice to find an AME in your area who works with hard cases and schedule a consultation. The AME will be able to guide you through the steps. The issue with simply following SSRI path I is that even if you're off the SSRI when you go for the exam, you will still have to disclose the diagnosis that led to it being prescribed. Depending on that diagnosis, you may have more hoops to jump through to satisfy the FAA.

If it were only as easy as that flow chart, but the FAA needs to get their kickback from the COGSCREEN guys so you almost certainly get derailed into a HIMS neuropsych evaluation.
You need to develop some cynicism, Ron ;)

Depending on that diagnosis, you may have more hoops to jump through to satisfy the FAA.

Exactly!

For example, @Dangerfish , if you were taking the SSRI because of severe depression that involved suicidal ideation, the FAA isn’t going to decide you’re okay to fly because you stopped taking your med. Quite the opposite.

The diagnosis matters. A lot. Your only path might be using medication, perhaps a different one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back