Primary vs Advisory EMS

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
I am doing a frame up rebuild on my Decathlon in conjunction with an engine overhaul. Panel starts going in shortly. Time to make a final decision on instrumentation.

I figure it would be dumb to get a new engine and not get a monitor with 4 cylinder EGT/CHT to help track break-in and diagnose any install problems. Plus the panel and firewall are totally accessible right now, so this would be the time to upgrade.

I am looking hard at the EI CGR-30P and the JPI EDM-830. The EI would seem to have the edge because it is primary. The trend among upgraders seems to be to put in a primary EMS and toss the old gauges.

CGR.PNG JPI.PNG

However, I find myself questioning that approach in my case. Right now my oil temp, oil pressure, volts/amps, tach, and manifold pressure are all less than 2 years old. Seems a waste to toss them. Further, I'm not sure I like the idea of putting all my eggs in one basket. If the EI goes down, I am AOG and totally dependent upon one source of support and parts. If one of my individual gauges goes down, I have multiple options to obtain a replacement.

I also kind of like the idea of redundancy in the air. So, keeping my round gauges and installing the JPI to get backup readings plus EGT/CHT and fuel flow is appealing to me.

Cost of both options is equal.

But seems I am swimming against the popular current with this preference. What say ye?

I prefer the EI, especially as a data junky. The only complaint I have on the jpi is their proprietary format for logging that they refuse to share. You can get the data, but only after running it through their decrepit old windows app.

And you have an error in your original premise. The edm-930 is also certified primary.

I prefer the EI, especially as a data junky. The only complaint I have on the jpi is their proprietary format for logging that they refuse to share. You can get the data, but only after running it through their decrepit old windows app.

And you have an error in your original premise. The edm-930 is also certified primary.

Good info on log data, thanks. In general, JPI does not have a reputation for good support.

The EDM-930 is $2K more and won't fit in my panel, so not under consideration. I'm looking at the 730 and 830. One appeal of the 730 is that it can be reconfigured with different inputs later, while the CGR-30P is locked at the factory. So if I want to limit my up front cost, I can get the 730 and add sensors when the mood strikes me.

I guess I misread. The edm-900 is smaller, just as good and is primary.

But seems I am swimming against the popular current with this preference. What say ye?
I went through exactly this when I did my upgrade. My original plan with the Garmin's EIS install was to leave any of the old gauges I could, but in the end I took them all out. I think it's easy to go either way. What I told myself was that: simpler is better, certified for primary has to mean something as far as reliability goes, my installer couldn't recall any failures, and broken is broken so which system did I think had the higher likelihood of breaking. I mean if it never breaks then it doesn't matter how hard it might be to fix while AOG on a Saturday afternoon, right? Would the Garmin EIS would be that reliable? After a lot of thinking and talking it over with people my opinion was yes.

Maybe not very scientific, but I made the leap.

You can upload the JPI to Savvy and play with it there with a free account.

The EDM-900 is also certified as primary.

I put in a cgr30P and very pleased. It is indeed locked by the factory, but you can send it back in the future and they will reconfigure (or add features) for approx $400. Their support has been excellent.

You can upload the JPI to Savvy and play with it there with a free account.

The EDM-900 is also certified as primary.
It’s still multiple steps, and doesn’t allow you to merge the data with your other flight data.

Here is a shot of my panel for perspective. Not a lot of spare room. TBH the CGR is the smarter move from that perspective.

If I got the CGR, it would go in the lower left corner of the six pack. I would pull out the MP from the far left and move the analog tach there. I love my analog tach.

If I got the JPI, it would go on the far right. The EGT gauge would come out, because the JPI would partially overlap that hole. I would need to come up with a place for the USB.

PXL_20210917_025327600 (2).jpg

I guess I misread. The edm-900 is smaller, just as good and is primary.

EDM-900 does have a bigger screen than the CGR-30. That is one of my other beefs with the EI unit. To keep the footprint to one gauge hole, they have packed a lot of info onto that small display. I ain't getting any younger, and my near vision is poor. I don't like flying acro with reading glasses.

Wish l could wait til SnF and take a closer look at the JPI and EI side by side. Just occurred to me that Gulf Coast Avionics is 10 miles away and they have displays in their showroom. Maybe I'll swing by there!

On the 830 the USB slot is in the bezel between the two buttons. No need for a separate location

I believe that is for data download, not a charging port. I will need to move my Stratus charging port somewhere, since I would be putting the 830 in the 3 1/8" gauge hole to the right of the radio stack. I have a 2 1/4" gauge bracket under the panel below the right edge of the radio stack, not visible in flight. If I put it there, gotta find a place for the current Hobbs, unless the 830 can perform that function.

Yes, I thought you were talking about that USB port.

I have two USB ports for charging in my clock. :)

Back