The FAA has been infected...

Turbo-Arrow-Driver

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Turbo-Arrow Owner
Perhaps this happened a while ago and I missed it. Either way, I just noticed this today:

Apparently, NOTAMs are no longer "Notices to Airmen", but "Notices to Air Missions". I guess humans are no longer required. The next time I get a briefing, I'll pass those notices along to the mission, whatever the heck that is.

Really? Seriously? This is getting ridiculous.

I guess that's easier than changing the acronym, which we're pretty much stuck with. I do wonder how it feels to be a female "airman" though, which is the prevalent term (even in the USAF) even though women have been flying since the beginning of aviation.

Pretty much everyone thought it was dumb. It’s not as though the FAA dropped the use of the word “airman” as it is grounded in legal terminology.

My vote was just call them “Notams”. It doesn’t have to stand for anything, it’s just a word that refers to notifying people who care about aviation stuff.

Perhaps this happened a while ago and I missed it. Either way, I just noticed this today:

Apparently, NOTAMs are no longer "Notices to Airmen", but "Notices to Air Missions". I guess humans are no longer required. The next time I get a briefing, I'll pass those notices along to the mission, whatever the heck that is.

Yeah, happened about a year ago to much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I guess they had to find something to do since they got all caught up on registrations and their certification work.

Moving to this country I was pretty surprised at all the official FAA language that was still highly gendered. It felt like I'd jumped back in time.

We're in the 2020s. Do you think that terms like 'airmen', 'repairman' etc should live on that way for ever? If we're going to change them, might as well change them now.

Moving to this country I was pretty surprised at all the official FAA language that was still highly gendered. It felt like I'd jumped back in time.

We're in the 2020s. Do you think that terms like 'airmen', 'repairman' etc should live on that way for ever? If we're going to change them, might as well change them now.

It gets pretty confusing as now the term "guys" is considered by many to be gender neutral. Personally I really don't care. I was raised to believe that real men are men and real women are ladies.

Guys & gals used to be the terms used but now the term gal is considered to be derogatory. Go figure. I'll try not to offend anyone but some of this is just way beyond stupid ...

You jumped back in time to when words mean what they mean and not what some offended person wants to be offended by.

If you were a dispatcher it would be more logical.

Could it have to do with the presence of a lot of military UAV's operating out of civil airports?

Where you based at? I used to drive a Turbo Arrow all over Norcal. I did my PPL at KAPC.

Pretty much everyone thought it was dumb. It’s not as though the FAA dropped the use of the word “airman” as it is grounded in legal terminology.

My vote was just call them “Notams”. It doesn’t have to stand for anything, it’s just a word that refers to notifying people who care about aviation stuff.

There's a lot of things in aviation like that. A student recently asked me what RNAV stands for, and I could not think of it at the moment. CTAF, AWOS, VASI, LPV, ILS etc... all are used like words. It doesn't matter what the letters stand for.

Could it have to do with the presence of a lot of military UAV's operating out of civil airports?

Where you based at? I used to drive a Turbo Arrow all over Norcal. I did my PPL at KAPC.

"As December 2, 2021, the long name for NOTAMs switched from Notices to Airmen to Notices to Air Missions.

The Institute for Women Of Aviation Worldwide who was first to denounce the FAA’s gender-excluding terminology and advocate for its replacement welcomes the change in terminology for NOTAMs"

"As December 2, 2021, the long name for NOTAMs switched from Notices to Airmen to Notices to Air Missions.

The Institute for Women Of Aviation Worldwide who was first to denounce the FAA’s gender-excluding terminology and advocate for its replacement welcomes the change in terminology for NOTAMs"

how ironic

1) “First, seek to understand, then to be understood”

2) If this is one’s most important issue to complain about rather then, say, not having electricity in the cold because a superpower bombed it out of your country, then maybe one has more to be thankful for than to complain about.

Just some thoughts…

I feel like the fact the NOTAMs are basically a huge mess of mostly irrelevant information with an occasionally critical tidbit thrown in is a bigger concern. That's the only complaint to be had here, they spent human and financial resources to make this change that nobody really cares about. They could have put that into something that might actually do some good instead.

Someone here suggested that “Notice to Aircrew Members” would have been better than the silliness the FAA invented.

C’est la FAA. I seem to recall a quote about straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel....

Oh. Perfect move to relegate womens’ role in aviation back to the stone ages.

The Institute for Women Of Aviation Worldwide who was first to denounce the FAA’s gender-excluding terminology...
Pardon me, but shouldn't they be "Missionmen Of Aviation Worldwide"? :dunno: just my first reaction.

Last edited:
I feel like the fact the NOTAMs are basically a huge mess of mostly irrelevant information with an occasionally critical tidbit thrown in is a bigger concern. That's the only complaint to be had here, they spent human and financial resources to make this change that nobody really cares about. They could have put that into something that might actually do some good instead.

This. No matter what they chose to call it, the NOTAM system is a POS.

"…Women Of Aviation Worldwide who was first to denounce the FAA’s gender-excluding terminology and advocate for its replacement welcomes the change in terminology for NOTAMs"
A women’s org cheering the removal of the word airmen should look at why they call themselves Women of…..

Yup…and maple syrup, instant rice and Washington football will never be the same either. But, the natives are now friendly. ;)

wokism is in full effect….
LOL. 100 years ago, women getting to vote was “woke”, I bet.

Old men have been yelling at clouds for at least that long, I’m betting…

3DDFA242-6AB1-4CAB-81EA-E4EC113C172C.jpeg

I am a woman, and I understand that English uses the word "men" to mean 'people', and am not offended or excluded by words like "repairmen" or "airmen" because it's a lot easier than saying "repairpeople" or "airpeople", and means the same freaking thing. Plus, if I'm going to be offended about that, I also have to be offended about huMAN, perSON, and woMAN, for starters, and that's just bordering on the ridiculous.

Of course, I am considering being offended that people think that women, and by extension, I, am so easily offended that using normal English would cause me such mental anguish that they have to change words to accommodate me or I won't feel welcome to "slip the surly bonds". :cool:

We're in the 2020s. Do you think that terms like 'airmen', 'repairman' etc should live on that way for ever?
Yes I do, it doesn’t bother me a single bit, but I’ve got far more important things in my life to be concerned about than this stuff.

Would be much easier to change to word “Notification” in Websters to “Notamification”

problem solved

My rant involves the FAA actually spending time on the issue when there are so many things in their regulations that could actually benefit from time spent on clarification. How many 1000's of person hours (see what I did there?) were spent on this meaningless change? :D

And yet, isn’t the name of the organization gender excluding? As a man, I don’t feel that I would be welcomed. Funny how that works. I just now contacted the organization to inform them how sad I am that while I support their cause, I can’t feel welcome to support their organization because I’m a male. Wonder what kind of reply I will receive.

Last edited:
Uh… spoiler alert… if you’re a man, you AINT welcome there. Just sayin. And ya, funny how that works! Geesh…

idle thought: don't language like Spanish have words that are masculine and others that are feminine? is the woke mafia in Spain looking to change the Spanish language?

And yet, isn’t the name of the organization gender excluding? As a man, I don’t feel that I would be welcomed. Funny how that works.

Apparently, you men just need to show your superior emotional control and not be offended by it...oh wait, no, we're equals in every sense...so I guess you guys need to start throwing hissy fits??? But no, you can't do that, because if you do, that's some sort of supremacy and stuff, so I guess you're just screwed.

idle thought: don't language like Spanish have words that are masculine and others that are feminine? is the woke mafia in Spain looking to change the Spanish language?

Almost every other language in the world has masculine and feminine words and forms, including Spanish, French, German, Greek, and Italian from my personal knowledge. I don't know of any crusades to change that, but I'm sure that will change eventually. Or maybe they'll just make it illegal to talk because someone might be offended.

Back