Ocrevus

M

MS Pilot

I’m a private pilot with Multiple Sclerosis flying on Basic Med. I have been taking Copaxone injections since I was diagnosed. My neurologist is wanting to switch me over to Ocrevus infusions twice a year. I can’t find much online, but I don’t think Ocrevus is approved by the FAA. I’d appreciate information from someone with knowledge. If it’s a no go, I won’t be upset. I’m not that excited about switching over. Thanks in advance.

these types of drugs are being added very frequently now. The best way to know your situation would be to to discuss such with the prescribing MD. Good luck.

Last edited:
I’m a private pilot with Multiple Sclerosis flying on Basic Med. I have been taking Copaxone injections since I was diagnosed. My neurologist is wanting to switch me over to Ocrevus infusions twice a year. I can’t find much online, but I don’t think Ocrevus is approved by the FAA. I’d appreciate information from someone with knowledge. If it’s a no go, I won’t be upset. I’m not that excited about switching over. Thanks in advance.
The FAA doesn't really approve drugs, but they do prohibit flying while on some. If it's not on the do-not-fly list, since you're on Basic Med, you should discuss with your doc whether any side effects contradict safe flying.

Thank you all for the replies. Dr Bruce, I’m not sure what you mean by “approval”. Would that be something between me and my neurologist, or the doctor who signed off on my Basic med, or the FAA?

I am on Ocrevus but my plane is LSA compliant so I have not needed a medical. Some things to consider are the other meds they give as part of the ocrevus protocol. During your infusion you will also get the steroid solumedrol as well as a pretty large dose of diphenhydramine (Benadryl), an acid reducer that’s similar to Pepcid and some Tylenol mostly all through the IV. The other meds are given to help your body not have a reaction to the ocrevus as it kills off you CD-19 B cells. I’m not sure if any of those other meds will cause problems with your medical but it is something to look into.

As far as the ocrevus infusion itself, it was way better for me than copaxone. I had constant welts at the injection sites when on copaxone. The ocrevus infusion is much easier. Yes, it does take 6 or so hours to get the infusion but it’s only twice a year. I usually get an itchy throat and nose a few hours into the infusion so they double up the Benadryl with a second dose when it starts to happen but other than that the worst part is just having to sit in a chair for 6 hours. It also usually screws up my sleep schedule for a few days as the Benadryl makes you tired but the solumedrol revs you up and makes it hard to sleep. It takes about a week to get it all out of your system but after that I feel completely back to normal. It’s way better having to deal with an ocrevus infusion every 6 months vs having to inject copaxone 3 times a week.

Kmacht,
Thank you so much for your input. Flying aside, that’s valuable information to help me in my decision making process. Having been on the same therapy for over 20 years, there’s some level of anxiety associated with making a change. I know it’s time, but change is scary. Your experience makes me feel better about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back