Pilot training kits

Surfrat29588

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Surfrat29588
Which pilot training kits do you all recommend? Sportys, Gleim Aviation or Kings School, or Jeppesens?

Most everyone I talked to recommend Sporty’s but I went with Jason Miller’s Ground School App. learnthefinerpoints.com is his website.

I have completed the ground portion and starting the flight section and some of the scenarios. He is working on an instrument course to be added next year.

Let's look at what's in the Gleim kit (first one that popped up when I searched) $150-190 depending where you buy it.
Not there but should be:
Weight & Balance - free on the FAA website

#1 All these are free
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation

#2 As for the testing material, again, free on the FAA website. This includes all the graphics & tables used during the written exam, the ACS, practical test standards, etc.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing

As for test prep software, all over the place. Some cost, some are free.

You can buy the individual items such as the training record (altho the CFI should be keeping track of this), plotter & logbook

The publishers (Gleim, Sporty's, King's, Jepp, etc) take the FAA material (your tax dollars at work) and re-package them.

Entirely up to you.

If you have a specific flight school in mind, I'd ask them. It doesn't make much sense to spend money on a package and spend it again when the school says it uses something else as a primary teaching text.

Aside from that, it doesn't matter. As @murphey said, some (but not all) of the texts are reprints of materials available from the FAA. The new student may prefer digital over paper or vice versa. Even the one student necessity, a "FAR/AIM" (the regulations and FAA information/best practice manual) is more current in its digital form. A syllabus is only as valuable as the school that uses it (and most are substantially the same).

if you are thinking of it as a gift, I would be thinking of a gift certificate for a few lessons and perhaps a paper logbook (even if they end up going digital) rather than a package.

Which pilot training kits do you all recommend? Sportys, Gleim Aviation or Kings School, or Jeppesens?

Consider this on your own:

ASA FAR AIM $20
FAA pilots Handbook Aeronautical Knowledge - download free online.
The ASA Private Pilot Test Prep (contains the actual test diagram book you are given for the FAA written) $20
ASA rotating plotter $14
An E6B $14
A pencil $1

$68.

Consider this on your own:

ASA FAR AIM $20
FAA pilots Handbook Aeronautical Knowledge - download free online.
The ASA Private Pilot Test Prep (contains the actual test diagram book you are given for the FAA written) $20
ASA rotating plotter $14
An E6B $14
A pencil $1

$68.
The test prep is also free on the FAA website.

We offer Gleim to our new students, but they have freedom of choice. I like it when they use Gold Seal which makes it easy for me to monitor their progress.

in my old-school experience, it seems most schools...even small ones... will generally have some sort of syllabus or plan that'll be based on one of the text books and they will probably be most familiar with it and have some preset plans.... such as read chapter two before our next flight.
Nothing earth shattering in any that would make it better than any other, but it'll probably flow a bit better for your instructor if you use the one they are set up with....

If they use Jeppesen but you like the format or look of say for example Sporty's text book, then why not buy both for supplemental self study?

and yeah, I'm with the others.... you might be better to just piece the "kit" together yourself as needed.... several items within them you may never use or barely use.

Back