Cirrus Vision Jet KMQJ

Afd822

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rob W.
An SF50 pulled the chute soon after take off from Indianapolis Regional (KMQJ) and landed partially in a retention pond this morning, 11/25/2022. I can’t post a link, but Fox59 in Indy has video.

Last edited:
3usuh7mw042a1.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/comments/z4f458/cirrus_vision_jet_parachute_deploycrash_near/

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...unty/531-fb41ddfc-254c-4347-af3f-8d1cddaeb961

Does the engine twisting have to do with the parachute?

Seems it was one of Verijets, wonder the “carbon footprint” of using the CAPs

https://verijet.com/

Last edited:
carbon footprint
Fine, I'll bite. I visited their site.. basically looks like they're manipulating airborne particulate matter and single-surface reflective devices.. IE, smoke and mirrors!

From their site. It's a lot of talk, but I'm not seeing any of it substantiated.. seems like they're relying heavily on Cirrus. I also wasn't aware operators could supersede ATC and ground control and have full jurisdiction over taxi routes, airways flown, holds, and clearances.

upload_2022-11-25_12-10-26.png

and here are the clips from their site.. there's a lot to unpack. I'm either jaded or a cynic (or both!) but how people fall for this smoke and mirrors nonsense is beyond me.. sigh
upload_2022-11-25_12-11-21.png
upload_2022-11-25_12-11-37.png
upload_2022-11-25_12-11-55.png

Does the engine twisting have to do with the parachute?
Negative, at least not per Cirrus' own marketing materials and promotional video.. which could be a clue in this case?

upload_2022-11-25_12-19-18.png

Fine, I'll bite. I visited their site.. basically looks like they're manipulating airborne particulate matter and single-surface reflective devices.. IE, smoke and mirrors!

From their site. It's a lot of talk, but I'm not seeing any of it substantiated.. seems like they're relying heavily on Cirrus. I also wasn't aware operators could supersede ATC and ground control and have full jurisdiction over taxi routes, airways flown, holds, and clearances.

View attachment 112579

and here are the clips from their site.. there's a lot to unpack. I'm either jaded or a cynic (or both!) but how people fall for this smoke and mirrors nonsense is beyond me.. sigh
View attachment 112580
View attachment 112581
View attachment 112582

It’s just a sales pitch for their targeted demographic

The sales pitch for the carbon stuff, especially to people chartering a private jet just sounds like

Not sure if I should just hate the game, or the players too

Look at the bottom graphic, the plane is literally made up of a beautiful forest!

Last edited:
Negative, at least not per Cirrus' own marketing materials and promotional video.. which could be a clue in this case?

View attachment 112583

Oh

That had to be some force or major failures to rotate the whole engine 90 degrees, can’t imagine that plane is old enough to have much intergranial corrosion or much of a damage history to cause that

Mandatory SBs incoming?

Engine rotation caused the need to pull the chute?

A little further back, the pond depth might have been challenging for egress. Pulling the handle just anywhere would seem to be a bad idea, unless at critically low altitude.

A correction: It's MQJ, not MQL.

That water is less than a mile from the airport fence. Bad luck. The guy has an emergency almost directly over the airport, pulls the chute, and splashes down in the only puddle within 5 miles. Lucky he didn't drown.

A correction: It's MQJ, not MQL.

That water is less than a mile from the airport fence. Bad luck. The guy has an emergency almost directly over the airport, pulls the chute, and splashes down in the only puddle within 5 miles. Lucky he didn't drown.
Thanks. I fixed it. I was nervous, it’s my first time.

Looks like maybe the airframe unfortunately landed mid-fuselage right on the lip of the pond, kind of like cracking an egg on the edge of a bowl.
Glad the pilot walked away.

/speculation

Massive?
based on the phase of flight and the cause of how most planes end up in the garbage can shortly after rotation, power plant failure is a safe bet most of the time
I was referring mostly to the last sentence. If low, an airport environment is about the best place to have a power plant failure.

"Shortly after takeoff from the Indianapolis Regional Airport, 3867 N Aviation Way, Greenfield, pilot Timothy Borrup, 54, Palm Bay, Fla., told officials he experienced engine issues in the Cirrus Vision SF50 aircraft and headed back to the airport for an emergency landing."

https://www.greenfieldreporter.com/2022/11/25/pilot-safe-after-emergency-landing/

"As he tried to gain altitude, the jet began to sputter and stall."

https://cbs4indy.com/indiana-news/plane-crashes-near-indianapolis-regional-airport/

I was referring mostly to the last sentence. If low, an airport environment is about the best place to have a power plant failure.

He was between 500 and 1000 feet agl before the pull, about a mile or so from the airport according to adsb. Looks like a pretty populated area. Speculation? It's all speculation right now, but massive speculation? Hardly.

I was referring to the last sentence.

Low level engine failure after rotation in a single engine jet?

Presuming they took the longer windward ruwnay

Could try the 180, not sure how the cirrus jet responds to that, or land straight ahead at 1.3AOA speed, I say likely good pull

8204F0E0-2400-4E00-8914-8ABC79A79DD7.jpeg 6DF097D0-AB24-498D-AE53-7F2072773100.jpeg

The engine being so askew is very peculiar to me.. I wouldn't think the energy from landing into water under a chute would cause the engine to come off.. I'd assume it to be one of the stronger parts of the airframe

More massive speculation but perhaps it was already working itself askew which created the uneven flow into the engine precipitating the pilot's reported sputtering and [presumably compressor] stall

Very odd

One would think the engine attached points would be one of the stronger parts of the airframe

The engine being so askew is very peculiar to me.. I wouldn't think the energy from landing into water under a chute would cause the engine to come off.. I'd assume it to be one of the stronger parts of the airframe

More massive speculation but perhaps it was already working itself askew which created the uneven flow into the engine precipitating the pilot's reported sputtering and [presumably compressor] stall

Very odd

One would think the engine attached points would be one of the stronger parts of the airframe

Yes, some are speculating this may be a maintenance induced issue. I can see a vertical impact causing a cantilevered engine mount breaking. But this was most likely a straight down force, I'm having trouble seeing how there was enough force to damage the engine mounts but not the passengers. Those mounts are designed to handle a lot of force.

Yes, some are speculating this may be a maintenance induced issue. I can see a vertical impact causing a cantilevered engine mount breaking. But this was most likely a straight down force, I'm having trouble seeing how there was enough force to damage the engine mounts but not the passengers. Those mounts are designed to handle a lot of force.

N15VJ
SN 0215
AW Date 7/31/2020

Poor thing was only 2 years old and Verijet is based out of $outh Florida, I’d image they had the money for proper maintenance, I’d guess the plane might have even still been under some sort of cirrus factory warranty

0AF48260-7D4B-445F-9452-288C9944A7EB.jpeg

Last edited:
^video of it coming down under the chute above

I would not imagine this plane glides very well, hard to argue that this parachute saved a life!

Whoever took that video needs to understand the principle of pointing the camera at what you are trying to video, but I digress. A captured image from the video shows what may be the engine askew on the way down ... just a guess as it's not very clear ...

upload_2022-11-25_16-5-28.jpeg

N15VJ
SN 0215
AW Date 7/31/2020

Poor thing was only 2 years old and Verijet is based out of $outh Florida, I’d image they had the money for proper maintenance, I’d guess the plane might have even still been under some sort of cirrus factory warranty

View attachment 112594

The Jetstream program covers the engine for pretty much everything is how it was explained to me. You pay an hourly fee, if you ask how much, you can't afford it.

Well. We know what kind of car the guy drives. I guess.

..all the bro's and the car remind me of, fast forward to 51 seconds

Last edited:
Another amazing BRS save. This would have likely been a fatal accident otherwise.
Love BRS.

If the engine really did come loose…. The BRS save will be both good and bad for Cirrus. Also might come with an emergency AD…

If the engine really did come loose…. The BRS save will be both good and bad for Cirrus. Also might come with an emergency AD…

Well, at this point, anybody who plays in fac-built has that coming. The only way to win that game is not to play it.

As to BRS, I'm not following how the save could be bad for Cirrus. That's a pretty benign sink rate for a 6k# contraption, makes for rather good PR I think. The engine going full gyro precess off the mount tho....

Whoever took that video needs to understand the principle of pointing the camera at what you are trying to video, but I digress. A captured image from the video shows what may be the engine askew on the way down ... just a guess as it's not very clear ...

View attachment 112596

The engine, it’s hard to tell, but doesn’t look straight, I imagine the only pucker factor larger than the pilots would be Cirrus execs who saw that photo

Having the whole damn engine almost fall off your flagship product isn’t a “good look”

Reminds me of

Well, at this point, anybody who plays in fac-built has that coming. The only way to win that game is not to play it.

As to BRS, I'm not following how the save could be bad for Cirrus. That's a pretty benign sink rate for a 6k# contraption, makes for rather good PR I think. The engine going full gyro precess off the mount tho....
I'd say engine coming off = bad for Cirrus. Chute working as advertised = good for Cirrus.

Back