Latam Airliner in Peru strikes vehicle on runway while taking off

Steve Costello

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
SteveCostello
That looks like a series of crash trucks driving out fast! Were they rolling onto the runway to assist this aircraft and got a little over anxious, or confused as to which aircraft they were following?

DId they mention if it was a civilian fire truck or military truck? Spent time on that airport years ago and at times the military would use different freqs when traveling around. Made for some interesting encounters.

I have LOTS of questions about this incident.

These firefighter and not untrained and unprofessional...you have to wonder what they were thinking in driving on the an active runway...

These video's make be duplicates...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-fire-runway-Lima-airport-no-casualties.html
Truck is driving opposite direction to rolling plane. Then it makes a right turn 'into' the path of the plane. I gots questions to. If they didn't see it(hard to believe) that's one thing. If they did see it and turned into it, that's another thing.

LATAM was on takeoff, even if they saw them not much could have been done. Two firefighters died.

Last edited:
A definite lack of communication,condolences for the firefighters family’s.

Truck is driving opposite direction to rolling plane. Then it makes a right turn 'into' the path of the plane. I gots questions to. If they didn't see it(hard to believe) that's one thing. If they did see it and turned into it, that's another thing.

It appears they were crossing the runway, failed to stop in time, then perhaps turned to try to avoid the aircraft. Had they not turned they may have impacted the fuselage instead of the wing.

It appears they were crossing the runway, failed to stop in time, then perhaps turned to try to avoid the aircraft. Had they not turned they may have impacted the fuselage instead of the wing.
Yeah. More I look at it the truck wasn’t ‘opposite’ direction like it first appeared to me

Such a cluster.
I am seeing:
1. aircraft must not have looked down runway before power up (granted the trucks could have bolted out late in the run)
2. aircraft maybe lined up on wrong parallel rwy
3. trucks were not looking both ways down the runway
4. ATC? (if they have airliners and ARFF, presumably Jorge Chavez has a tower). Anyway if that was a pre-planned exercise, that entire runway should have been a temporary Hotspot in tower's minds. Big fail to keep all vehicles from doing stupid things.
/channelingblancolirio

Last edited:
FD946C54-F120-4A6A-AAA1-7E5A779106BA.jpeg

When I first saw the video, I thought that they were crossing the runway as well. But then I saw where it happened, having just flown in there this summer, I remembered that there is only one runway with taxiway access from just one side. So just where the heck were they going and why?

View attachment 112475

When I first saw the video, I thought that they were crossing the runway as well. But then I saw where it happened, having just flown in there this summer, I remembered that there is only one runway with taxiway access from just one side. So just where the heck were they going and why?

Is the fire station on the west side of the runway? I just assumed the video was shot from the terminal side of the airport.

The video was shot from the west side of the runway. They are constructing a new runway, tower etc. on the west side and AFAIK also a new fire station.
Take-off direction was 16. I remember that open hangar construction on the east side of the runway from when I was there.

That must have been made quite a while ago. They completed the new runway, taxiways and tower this summer.View attachment 112487

Wow! It was low IFR the day we were there, and it was just for a quick fuel stop. I never noticed all of the new construction and the airport diagram doesn’t show it.

I’m guessing that the drill might have been part of the certification for the new runway.

Juan Brown has a video out on this accident

Turns out that the Fire Station is west of the currently only runway.

As a pilot who just flew in and out of this airport recently, what concerns me is that by looking at the current airport diagram, I never even looked to the west of the runway because there is nothing depicted there.

As a pilot who just flew in and out of this airport recently, what concerns me is that by looking at the current airport diagram, I never even looked to the west of the runway because there is nothing depicted there.
Does the Jepp page not show the construction? (My fleet doesn't have this airport in our Jepp service) Someone should ASAP that!

Back