GI-275 without 8130 or C of C?

Ivan H.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kiss_00T
First off, this might be a dumb question as a newbie, but any opinions would be appreciated. So I just bought a cherokee 140 couple weeks ago, AI is off few degrees to one side since day 1 and the vacuum pump just failed completely last night, bad luck...but I figured this could be a good oppurtunity to get rid of it by installing dual G5's or GI-275. I was a bit leaning toward the G5's because as poor guy, I wanna keep my budget as low as possible. However, one day when I was doing phone calls and emails for installation quotes, there is one avionic shop close to where I live saids they are permanently close yet they have a pair of new GI-275 for sale with descent amount of discount to liquidate the inventory. I knew the new GI-275's has to be installed by Garmin dealerships to have the warranty but the discount is pretty attractive and based on how much I fly for time building, the warranty may last less than a year anyway. So I continued to ask the guy if the GI-275's has 8130 or C of C for my mechanic to do the installation, and the response is no, the only thing he has is an invoice from garmin.

I did a little bit of researching, only thing I found is Garmin doesn't issue 8130 for products sold in the US and I couldn't find anything else. So my question is does the installation require 8130 or C of C to prove its airworthiness? Can an IA simply test its functionality and log it? If I can find another garmin dealership to help me do the installation, would it solve the problem? Thank you for reading the post, opinions/comments are welcomed.

Last edited:
An A&P can install the G5 as the AI but probably not anything else. Garmin shop needed. BTDT.
Hm…can an A&P install either as the engine monitor? I dunno.

The AI because it doesn’t need connection to any nav equipment. At least that’s what my A&P said when I asked about installing it as the HSI.

Last edited:
So my question is does the installation require 8130 or C of C to prove its airworthiness?
No. It will be up to the installer to make that determination so its best to ask them directly. Quite a few aviation parts only come with an invoice or pick-ticket.
Can an IA simply test its functionality and log it?
Yes. However, an A&P can also do this unless the installation is considered a major alteration then an IA authorization will be needed to sign a 337 which in turn will required approved data.
If I can find another garmin dealership to help me do the installation, would it solve the problem?
It should at least be discussed with your installer and see where you're at. And just remember some non-dealer installs will lose Garmin support as well as warranty.

No. It will be up to the installer to make that determination so its best to ask them directly. Quite a few aviation parts only come with an invoice or pick-ticket.

Yes. However, an A&P can also do this unless the installation is considered a major alteration then an IA authorization will be needed to sign a 337 which in turn will required approved data.

It should at least be discussed with your installer and see where you're at. And just remember some non-dealer installs will lose Garmin support as well as warranty.
Thank you! I will talk to my mechanic who is also an IA to see if he is willing to do the installation before asking another garmin dealership.

I wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole on a certified airplane. You need the STC package including Letter of Authorization. GI275 come in different configurations and require different accessory parts depending on what their primary purposes is.

This is dealer only territory for certified aircraft.

Wasn’t long ago I ran all the wiring for a GFC500, a dealer installed all the connectors brackets and hardware and signed it all off. Just before the warranty was out an SB popped up to replace servos with clutch problems and of course the pitch trim servo had failed, the same dealer replaced all the servos at no cost under warranty, I’m guessing each servo was $1500 so that’s $4500 in parts alone.

The GI275 is a great product but the G5s were the right choice for me. Post-install repairs and/or replacement parts are a lot cheaper. When I’ve got a 650Xi and GTX345 already in the airplane, these two units have steep flat-rate repair pricing, no need to have GI275s on top of them vs the G5s. This ain’t the space shuttle. I would entertain installing a 275 myself under the MFD path (blessed by Garmin for non-Garmin installers) but again, just too pricy.

Last edited:
Recommend you review AC 20-62E. Has lots of useful information on this topic, including use of 8130.

Worth noting the GI 275 has both TSO and STC-AML approval. That may provide multiple paths to legal install for your A&P.

Devices produced under TSO will be permanently marked as such.

I wouldn’t touch this with a 10 foot pole on a certified airplane. You need the STC package including Letter of Authorization. GI275 come in different configurations and require different accessory parts depending on what their primary purposes is.

This is dealer only territory for certified aircraft.

That’s the problem I see with this too. The 8130 doesn’t mean anything to me but the other paperwork does, and it’s not something that’s available for a GI275 that is not the MFD model that is available over the counter.

This is indeed dealer territory. A dealer should be able to get replacement paperwork to install the GI275 if it is missing, but I’d ask myself why it would be missing and if I really wanted to start out with “new” equipment that may have no warranty. The difference in price may not be worth doing that but availability of the units might make it attractive right now.

A lot of money, and mission critical instruments. Seems like a lot at risk - I'd stick with buying from and installing with a Garmin dealer.

Make sure that the reason the AI is off is not because the panel mounts are broke and the panel isn't level. I had fun flying a borrowed Navion when the ball was always off center. Trying to center it put the plane clearly in uncoordinated flight.

Thanks for all the opinions guys, I decided to either install dual g5's or just simply fix the vacuum if quotes are too high.

Back