Extension Cord Across Taxiway?

manac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Manac
AITA to make a deal about this? Shop has run an extension cord across the taxiway to heat a diesel truck parked across from the hangers. The taxiway is the short way for me to get out. The other way can be blocked at times too.

Strung out at the airport.

If it is secured in place, using weights or rigging tape or the like, YTA. If it's just laying out willy nilly and could get sucked up by a prop, then yeah, say something.

Unless it is clearly taped and secured down so that it can snag or be scooped up by a wheel pant or prop, I would say that is a no-go for me. Someone is asking for an incident.

“Is it stretched across in a manner that causes a hazard?“
Just laid across the taxiway. Don’t think it would cause a prop strike, but sucked up into the cowl could cause a bit of damage.
Was taught not to taxi over tie downs, they could cause a sudden stoppage.

I would ask them to tape or weight it down. Any unsecured line is a potential hazard.

Curious. How is this any different than the tie down ropes and chains people leave laying all over the place and think it is fine to taxi over them?

Meet with the guy, show him this video.
“Hey, I just talked to my mechanic and he says if your cord tangles my prop like in this video, you are on the hook for a $20-25K repair.
I’d really like to help you avoid that.
I realize you need to keep that engine warm in the winter.
Is there some way you could staple it to the asphalt?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/c.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Curious. How is this any different than the tie down ropes and chains people leave laying all over the place and think it is fine to taxi over them?

It's not. I think those are potential hazards, too, and shouldn't be taxied over, either. :p

It’s not.
Damage has happened.

Agreed. Yet in some areas of the country you see it everywhere and it continues to be rationalized. Mostly in warm climates; the ropes and chains would be gone after one plowing in the winter in the northern states.

The fun part is, there's no reason to leave a diesel plugged in most of the time. Plug it in a few hours before you need it, otherwise you're doing nothing bust wasting energy and possibly starting a fire.

I was taxiing to the fuel pump a few weeks ago, when about 200 yards out I can see something just barely in the grass. It’s a narrow taxi way, probably 12’. The nose on the 180 prohibits seeing anything to the right side within about 75 yards. No problem, I saw it, just make sure not to crowd the grass, there is a hangar about 4’ off the wing tip in the other side. I get to the fuel pump and walk back there, it’s a small step ladder and folding chair. I move it over to the hangar. A pilot friend I know comes out looking for her chair and step ladder. I explain where and why I moved it. She’s not happy with me. She put it there to be closer to the plane after she pulled it out if the hangar, it was so her mom could get in her 172 easier! Why not have her get in before you are on the taxiway? Could have been ugly if I hadn’t seen it.

I saw a butterscotch cat on the taxiway today....good thing he was on a mission and ran off. :D

Meet with the guy, show him this video.
“Hey, I just talked to my mechanic and he says if your cord tangles my prop like in this video, you are on the hook for a $20-25K repair.
I’d really like to help you avoid that.
I realize you need to keep that engine warm in the winter.
Is there some way you could staple it to the asphalt?”

https://www.reddit.com/r/aviation/c.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
What's the story there? It looks like the rope was looped over the prop.

Taxiing with cowl plugs?

If you can see the reddit video I posted #10, you can see it's a rope, with spinner and cowl damage. The plugs were put in afterwards.
Also, that rope looks identical to the rope on the wing, and the ropes tying down the adjacent airplane.
I can't figure out how it did not make a big coil-ey mess around the spinner/crankshaft - but it could have been mostly unwound to inspect the damage.

Last edited:
I'm petty, so I'm in the unplug it camp.

It's not. And will cause more than sudden engine stoppage, will also cause a nice deep notch in the propeller blade(s)

If I thought an extension cord would pose an insurmountable barrier and ruin my taxiing ability, I would probably direct my outrage at my flight instructors.

A less obvious problem eventually caused by frequent impacts of rolling objects, would be damage to the insulation of the extension cord itself, which could result in short circuits ... and even more problems. I could just envision a rapidly taxiing C-150 snatching the extension cord with its prop, wrapping the cord around the nose wheel and prop shaft, electrocuting the pilot, with the the spooling cord destroying it's electrical outlet, causing a hangar conflagration, destroying its tenant, a brand new Boeing bizjet loaded with the world's most prominent politicians. Meanwhile, the now rampaging out of control C-150 strikes a tour bus full of orphaned infants ... Ah well, what could happen?

When asked if it was possible to suck a tie down into the prop?

Instructor that I knew used to say,” it’ll only happen to you once.”

I thought she was joking,guess not.

If I thought an extension cord would pose an insurmountable barrier and ruin my taxiing ability, I would probably direct my outrage at my flight instructors.

Apparently my instruction was incomplete. What technique did your CFIs teach you for crossing extension cords (and ropes, etc.) when your propellor is spinning?

Apparently my instruction was incomplete. What technique did your CFIs teach you for crossing extension cords (and ropes, etc.) when your propellor is spinning?

"continue, slowly and steadily. your wheels are far larger than that cord."

The shop across from where I got my private would often run cords for heaters to the tiedown line. They were manageable.

What technique did your CFIs teach you for crossing extension cords (and ropes, etc.) when your propellor is spinning?

You could use the killing a snake method. Get a running start, pull the throttle to idle, and drag a brake across the line ... :D

Back