FAA Extending Aircraft Re-Registration Interval

It’s gonna be… five divided by three times seven, carry the 1, subtract the 8… uh…

Eleven dollars and 67 cents. Payable by check only…

I fully understood the reasoning behind starting the expiration of registrations. There were tens of thousands of aircraft registrations that were assigned to long written off airframes that the final owner never filed the required notification.

Three years was an arbitrary number, but I guess it made sense. $5 though doesn't even fund the effort to process those registrations. It's no wonder the FAA can't keep up with the processing. Extending the registration certainly makes sense.

Does this mean if mine is expired I don’t have to do anything? Major oversight on my part…..

Maybe this will help the registration branch get caught up on processing applications. Now if they would use a little more common sense with the applications instead of rejecting them for obvious, minor clerical errors we'd be set.

Oh oh oh… poll… what’s YOUR record for consecutive rejections?

im at like 4…. Took nearly 3 damn years to get that one through…

Im NOT good at admin.

Does this mean if mine is expired I don’t have to do anything? Major oversight on my part…..
My guess is that the seven-year schedule will go into play after your next renewal. My three-year renewal is due in January, so I figure it’ll renew for seven years then.

Your expired re-registration is no big deal…it happens all the time. They continue to hold your N-number for years.

Ron Wanttaja

Interesting that they went the direct-final route. That means that any adverse comment retracts the rule and it gets re-issued as an NPRM.

Ron,
It looks like, according to the link, that it's retroactive.
It says ac registered in 2020 expires in 2027.
Did I interpret that right?

Your expired re-registration is no big deal…it happens all the time. They continue to hold your N-number for years.
FYI: 90 days after the expiration date the registration will be cancelled. That original number will not be reissued for 5 years. There were covid exceptions made for expired reg but havent heard of any for a canceled reg which usually means a new number.
If you havent sent a renew app in and its expired your aircraft is grounded. I'd also call Registration Branch on Monday at the local number and see about saving your number.

This part worries me:
In addition, the direct final rule further addresses a few other areas surrounding aircraft registration, including removing a requirement that the agency issue a letter extending temporary authorization if a registration has not been issued or denied within 90 days of the application.
So if the FAA, in its usual mode of moving as rapidly as a tortoise chasing a snail, does not issue the registration within 90 days of application, it looks like the registration will simply expire. No temporary extensions.

There be squalls ahead.

I would be, if it takes away temporary extensions. See my post #15.

File an adverse comment then.

ETA: i need to re-read this, but another potential negative impact is that it appears inaccurate information will require re-registration early and potentially ground the aircraft. That could be messy for sale driven registrations.

Last edited:
This part worries me:
In addition, the direct final rule further addresses a few other areas surrounding aircraft registration, including removing a requirement that the agency issue a letter extending temporary authorization if a registration has not been issued or denied within 90 days of the application.
So if the FAA, in its usual mode of moving as rapidly as a tortoise chasing a snail, does not issue the registration within 90 days of application, it looks like the registration will simply expire. No temporary extensions.

There be squalls ahead.

I interpreted that part the opposite way, that providing an extension would be unnecessary and you just flew on the temporary registration until you got the permanent one.

I interpreted that part the opposite way, that providing an extension would be unnecessary and you just flew on the temporary registration until you got the permanent one.

I don’t believe there is a temporary with a renewal.

I can’t see where it differentiates between a renewal and a new application.
Is that conclusion based on the change in context or the summary in the article linked in the OP?

Nauga,
and the context of protext

Maybe this will help the registration branch get caught up on processing applications. Now if they would use a little more common sense with the applications instead of rejecting them for obvious, minor clerical errors we'd be set.

Absolutely! We are sorry, it took us 8 months to discover the sell forgot a comma, or whoops they left of LLC. We are going to mail that back to you, make you write it in there, and mail it back, we’ll will finalize that in about 3 more months.

Absolutely! We are sorry, it took us 8 months to discover the sell forgot a comma, or whoops they left of LLC. We are going to mail that back to you, make you write it in there, and mail it back, we’ll will finalize that in about 3 more months.
Yep. That's the problem with user error on official documents. It's interesting how often I see "I did it wrong. It's the FAA's fault!" posts.

But it's not really just 3 more months. When you mail it back in, it's going to the back of the line.

This part worries me:

There be squalls ahead.
I read the (pre-publication) Direct Rule. Here's what the FAA said about it.
The FAA is making several other amendments to 14 CFR Part 47. First, the FAA is revising 14 CFR 47.31(c)(1) by removing the time limit within which the FAA must either issue a letter extending the temporary authority to continue to operate or deny the application. Section 47.31(c)(2) provides a 12-month overall limit on such temporary authority. Therefore, the FAA finds the requirement to issue this separate letter unnecessary and is removing this requirement.​

Basically, the amendment removes the 90 day limitation that used to be in (c)(1), so the temporary is good for 12 months (which was the limit for temporary extensions).

BTW, the other thing I noticed that the 7-year period applies to current registrations as well - registrations which were valid as of the date the new rule takes effect.

So, say your current registration was issued in March 2020 and is due to expire at the end of March 2023, (assuming the new rule is in effect before March 31, 2023) it doesn't expire until March 2027.

After reading the rule a couple of times, I see nothing to object to. The 're-registration' portion (14 CFR 47.40(a) - expired/obsolete) and associated references are being struck entirely, current (47.40(b)) and renewal registrations (47.40(c)) extended to 7 year duration, temp registrations (47.31(c)(1)) are good for 12 months. This is also Congressionally mandated.

Hhmmm? I’ll have to check my date when the certificate comes. Just re-registered yesterday via the website and cc.

BTW, the other thing I noticed that the 7-year period applies to current registrations as well - registrations which were valid as of the date the new rule takes effect.

So, say your current registration was issued in March 2020 and is due to expire at the end of March 2023, (assuming the new rule is in effect before March 31, 2023) it doesn't expire until March 2027.

Do we get a new card so that we don’t have to show an expired card to Central American authorities?

Do we get a new card so that we don’t have to show an expired card to Central American authorities?
That's a great question! AFAIK, not automatically. The Direct* Final Rule says the date us extended notwithstanding the printed expiration date. I suppose those who travel internationally will request replacements.

*BTW, note this is a "Direct Final Rule." That's one the FAA publishes without a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking because the FAA feels it doesn't adversely affect anyone. But there is still a comment period and if substantial adverse comments are received, it won't go into effect. It's happened before.

The Direct Final Rule was officially published in the Federal Register today. It goes into effect January 23.

Between this and BasicMed easter egg rule, two things to be thankful for this week.

Just be sure not to fly it with the registration expired. It's a felony.

This part worries me:

There be squalls ahead.

Somewhere else, a copy of the application is the temporary and good for 12 months.

My guess is that the seven-year schedule will go into play after your next renewal. My three-year renewal is due in January, so I figure it’ll renew for seven years then.

The article did say this “The rule will apply to existing registrations—one issued in 2020 will now expire in 2027, for instance—as well as new issuances.” so your current registration may be good to go for a 7 year interval from its issuance date

The article did say this “The rule will apply to existing registrations—one issued in 2020 will now expire in 2027, for instance—as well as new issuances.” so your current registration may be good to go for a 7 year interval from its issuance date

That's the way I understood it ...

The draft rule I saw had a table....

If the certificate was issued in 2019, it would expire in 2026
If the certificate was issued in 2020, it would expire in 2027
If the certificate was issued in 2021, it would expire in 2028
If the certificate was issued in 2022, it would expire in 2029

Ron Wanttaja

Somewhere else, a copy of the application is the temporary and good for 12 months.
Nope. Only for the case where the ownership changes. On these idiotic renewals, you get no such grace period.

Back