AZ/NM places to visit or near airports to fly into?

ArrowFlyer86

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
The Little Arrow That Could
Originally was intending to fly to the Phoenix area today to visit a friend, but now that’s postponed for a couple days since his fam is sick. That leaves me with a couple days to go do whatever! Only issue is I didn’t do any research about other things around here or cool places to see in this area… Any ideas?

Currently in Roswell NM (KROW). Any and all suggestions appreciated!

edit: title should say “neat airports”… autocorrect…

Appreciate the recommendation. I was briefly looking at that. As a Chicago flatlander it'd be the highest elevation airport I've been to yet, so it could be fun for that, too.

In addition to Sedona:
- Page, AZ, is surrounded by world-class scenery
- Santa Fe, NM has easy access to the old town, which is gorgeous and has some of the best food anywhere.

In addition to Sedona:
- Page, AZ, is surrounded by world-class scenery
- Santa Fe, NM has easy access to the old town, which is gorgeous and has some of the best food anywhere.
Appreciate the suggestion. I know virtually nil about Santa Fe. I may do that tomorrow! I'd been eyeing that earlier today since it's not too far.

National Atomic Museum at Alamgordo.

White Sands National Park in southern NM. Also used to be International Space Museum in Alamagordo NM.

Carlsbad Cavern

Carlsbad is a good hike away, but, if you’ve already seen Sedona, it’s well worth it. If you’ve never done the Grand Canyon area at least from the ground, then it’s hard to argue against Sedona.

Go to page - get a car and a tour of “antelope canyon”. You’ve likely seen it in photography competitions, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

On my way back I will be hitting both Alamogordo for the sites there and Carlsbad for the caves. I ended up getting to SDL this evening. I was going to visit white sands today but they couldn't get me a car at the airport so I'm going to hit that next week.

But today was an amazing flight from KROW-KELP-KDMN- then following I-10 to Tuscon and then to SDL. Beautiful flight. The most scenic flying I've ever done. By far.

Whole flight went smoothly except that apparently PHX approach told me to fly some transition that I didn't even hear. I just heard cleared into Bravo at 6500 west bound). When they asked several mins later to confirm I was flying it I told them I let them know I wasn't familiar with it and they gave me vectors instead, but not before informing me that I should have told the previous controller I wasn't familiar with it. Hard to do when I didn't hear the instruction to begin with. But I'll call their facility and figure out what I should be prepared to do going forward. Live and learn!

Attachments

• PXL_20221029_235736929.jpg
    PXL_20221029_235736929.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

On my way back I will be hitting both Alamogordo for the sites there and Carlsbad for the caves. I ended up getting to SDL this evening. I was going to visit white sands today but they couldn't get me a car at the airport so I'm going to hit that next week.

But today was an amazing flight from KROW-KELP-KDMN- then following I-10 to Tuscon and then to SDL. Beautiful flight. The most scenic flying I've ever done. By far.

Whole flight went smoothly except that apparently PHX approach told me to fly some transition that I didn't even hear. I just heard cleared into Bravo at 6500 west bound). When they asked several mins later to confirm I was flying it I told them I let them know I wasn't familiar with it and they gave me vectors instead, but not before informing me that I should have told the previous controller I wasn't familiar with it. Hard to do when I didn't hear the instruction to begin with. But I'll call their facility and figure out what I should be prepared to do going forward. Live and learn!
Sounds like your having a ball there. Trip down memory lane for me. Been to a lot of the places mentioned here. Anyway, probably wasn’t westBOUND they said.

upload_2022-10-29_19-30-3.png

Sounds like your having a ball there. Trip down memory lane for me. Been to a lot of the places mentioned here. Anyway, probably wasn’t westBOUND they said.

View attachment 111862
Welp, that is helpful! I could have sworn they gave it a proper name? I'm going to have to reply the approach radio and give it a listen to be sure.

But that also makes sense where it says "if unfamiliar let ATC know and they'll give radar vector". That's essentially what they ended up doing, they took me right over Sky Harbor.

Welp, that is helpful! I could have sworn they gave it a proper name? I'm going to have to reply the approach radio and give it a listen to be sure.

But that also makes sense where it says "if unfamiliar let ATC know and they'll give radar vector". That's essentially what they ended up doing, they took me right over Sky Harbor.
I’ve always thought that was poorly named. East/West Route but you’re going North or South bound.

Appreciate the suggestion. I know virtually nil about Santa Fe. I may do that tomorrow! I'd been eyeing that earlier today since it's not too far.
If you go to SF stop by the La Fonda Hotel for lunch. It's right on the plaza. Absolutely the best burrito on the planet! You'll probably need a reservation.

AEG (ABQ) to Shiprock to Page then north over a Grand Canyon corridor then back south through another will be one of the most amazing days of your life.

Definitely a Pucker factor on this one.

Back