Archer Panel Fix

Craig Stuart

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stubert
Looking for some advice, ideas, or opinions on a minor upgrade to my recently acquired Piper Archer II panel. I have this area to the right of the radios that has a two piece panel covering a tray that holds my adsb receiver and an avionics cooling fan (the three horizontal screws) a few inches below the adsb cut out. The top panel is loosely held in place with two sided tape and my original intent was to simply replace this panel with a nice one piece powder coated panel. A good friend has a plasma cutter and has volunteered to cut a new "cover" for that area.
But, after some serious thought I am wondering if I need to do more and actually make things more functional.
  • Would it be beneficial to move the adsb receiver to a different location? I can't help but wonder about the reception with it buried in the panel behind metal plates....
  • Do I really need an avionics cooling fan?
  • If not, why can't I use this space as a storage/glove box type area?
Looking forward to any ideas, comments, or criticisms...

PXL_20220921_002339355.NIGHT.jpg

Avionics cooling fan is needed for older avionics without cooling fans of their own. Don’t know about the 430?
Yes, ADSB would get better reception on top of the glare shield.

A couple of thoughts (train of thought, so may seem a bit rambling)
1) Yes, the ADSB would be better on top of the glare shield, but at the same time, it is going to be exposed to direct sunlight. This brings up a couple of quick concerns to me:
a) heating. I've never had an issue with this, but I rent so mine is only exposed for limited amount of time to the sun
b) visibility. Would seem to be more likely to be stolen if someone decides to walk around and has access to the aircraft. Probably not an issue, but could be
c) aesthetics. Now when you fly you'll have a lump of white sitting on top of the glare shield. You'll also have wires up there too. I'm a fan of the "out of sight, out of mind" mentality.

2) While ADSB would be better on top of the glare shield, is it adequate where it is?
if so, I would leave it, and just tweak positioning

3) In light of 1 & 2, is there any reason you can't move the ADSB up higher?
if you can, then why not move the ADSB up as far as you can, then move the fan up some? This would allow you to then create a pocket as you want to. This would also allow you to take advantage of your friend's offer for a custom cut panel. This would seem to satisfy most of what you're looking for.

They should have put an antenna on the Stratus when they buried it in the panel. Antenna can be ordered, small connection for it on the side of the unit.

Hi @Craig Stuart how about an outside the box idea....

A buddy of mine who is a Garmin dealer is installing an interesting option lately for a variety of customers.

Install GNX-375 ADS-B in/out with EFIS and Garmin GNC-255A nav/com. This replaces the transponder and GPS nav/com much more cost effectively. Used gear is selling for record prices at the moment.

Cost of equipment: GNX-375 $8500 + GNC-255A $4800 - Status $450 - 430W $6500 - Garmin 335 transponder $2500 = $3800 cost of new hardware.

The GNX-375 provides bluetooth connection for Foreflight on an iPad.

Last edited:
I’d put the autopilot in the center, move the backup radio to the right, adsb on top, add usb panel port where the old suction gauge was, if possible move the heat settings closer to the center, bring up your engine instruments, I find it a slight distraction to stare down to adjust in flight.

I’d put the autopilot in the center, move the backup radio to the right, adsb on top, add usb panel port where the old suction gauge was, if possible move the heat settings closer to the center, bring up your engine instruments, I find it a slight distraction to stare down to adjust in flight.
I think you nailed it.......

Back