Wings of Hope Fall Raffle

And your surprised a $100 airplane is expensive?
At least you can itemize the gambling loss.

Hmmmmm. Rotary wing add on
Now there's a thought. great point!! I've wanted to fly helicopters since before I ever came close to taking fixed wing lesson....but have soundly squashed that idea because of the cost, many decades ago....

the immediate taxes will be just under 23k -25% to the feds, 4% to Missouri. After that, there’s annual vehicle taxes in your state.
....+ right out of the gate I'd have to find a hangar or at least a tie down spot..... I know a hangar around here is nearly impossible and I don't have any idea what a tie down will cost

Hmmm.... thinking this daydream through. Honey, I won a plane!... I'm going to need to pull about $30k out of savings for this FREE plane! :D
yeah, this aint gonna go over well.

Is there a return policy for my tickets? :(

Soooo…am I hearing you DON’T have an airplane fund? Gotta get one started.

At least you can itemize the gambling loss.

im sure you don’t need to hear this, but you can only itemize your gambling losses up to the amount of your gambling wins. So if all you did was buy a losing raffle ticket and didn’t win anything, you cannot deduct the losing raffle tickets.

Soooo…am I hearing you DON’T have an airplane fund? Gotta get one started.

Wellllllll... Currently, our "airplane fund" is paying for my wife to get checked out in a 162. Then it will have to pay for me to get a Light Sport ticket. Then it might actually BE an airplane fund.

ha....yea, my airplane fund is tied up into saving for 3 college educations, possibly 2 weddings some day, and retirement hopefully in 5 years or so.

Just in case someone doesn't have their tickets yet, there's just over 500 tickets left this morning.

What happened? Just a bad plane?

Just in case someone doesn't have their tickets yet, there's just over 500 tickets left this morning.

Lots of belt tightening. I've seen lots of raffle aircraft coming up from various organizations, both charitable and otherwise. Ever since they upped the cost of the tickets and the ticket volume a year or two back, it seems that they've been slower to sell-out. However, I doubt that WoH really cares how long it takes if they all end up selling by the raffle date. Cash is cash.

too many tickets, too expensive, cruddy economy everything else is just fine.

Bump, because they’ve only sold 4661 tickets.

The plane isn’t of great interest, but given the odds I’d treat this as a straight charity donation anyway.

We’re in a bad economy, investments are down, people are pinching pennies, and this may be farther down the list than other charities people support. I know we have some top priority charities we will sacrifice to support even during a tough economy, but other charitable giving is discretionary. I suspect we’re not alone.

There are still a few tickets available. I just bought 3. I'll be in a very low-income tax bracket this year so net I won't get hit hard with the income tax on the plane. I hope I'll have soloed by the time of the drawing, and we'll be back to Standard Time by then, so I'll have to transition from Light Sport to certified to continue my training anyway. I have records of my most recent medical on April 30, 2007, so I easily qualify for Basic Med. It would be nice to be signed off for cross-country by then, too, as KRHV is more than half a continent away from St. Louis.

Last edited:
There are still a few tickets available. I just bought 3. I'll be in a very low-income tax bracket this year so net I won't get hard with the income tax on the plane. I hope I'll have soloed by the time of the drawing, and we'll be back to Standard Time by then, so I'll have to transition from Light Sport to certified to continue my training anyway. I have records of my most recent medical on April 30, 2007, so I easily qualify for Basic Med. It would be nice to be signed off for cross-country by then, too as KRHV is more than half a continent away from St. Louis.

could always hire a guy to ferry it.............

welp...I didn't win. Did you?

November 15, 2022 UPDATE: And the winners are ....
  • Grand Prize: 1968 Piper Cherokee 180 (N5134L)

#4759-Fall22-323

• Second Prize: a PPL or Advanced Training Scholarship

#5859-Fall22-2774

• Third Prize: a Bose A20 aviation headset

#6461-Fall22-3972

• Fourth Prize: an 11-inch 512 GB iPad with Wi-Fi and cellular
    PLUS a one-year subscription to ForeFlight Pro-Plus

#5041-Fall22-973

welp...I didn't win. Did you?

November 15, 2022 UPDATE: And the winners are ....
  • Grand Prize: 1968 Piper Cherokee 180 (N5134L)

#4759-Fall22-323

• Second Prize: a PPL or Advanced Training Scholarship

#5859-Fall22-2774

• Third Prize: a Bose A20 aviation headset

#6461-Fall22-3972

• Fourth Prize: an 11-inch 512 GB iPad with Wi-Fi and cellular
    PLUS a one-year subscription to ForeFlight Pro-Plus

#5041-Fall22-973

Not even in the ballpark my prefix was 4880

899,900,901. Sigh. But I'm gonna win the AOPA C-170 "Back Country Monster". Yeah!

Back