Temporary SSRI from past

F

Flygirl123

Hi,

I’m currently considering starting my pilot journey and was nervous about the medical. For reference in 2017 I had some anxiety so my PCP put me in a SSRI(Lexapro) and referred me to a therapist. I was on the medication and saw the therapist for a little under a year until we felt like the issue had been resolved and then I stopped the medication and didn’t have to go back to therapy. I haven’t had any issues since and I’m realizing now (2022) that any indication of SSRI even in the past may cause you to get a denied third class medical License. Since then I have switched doctors and states. My question is, if I submit for a medical, even though I took the meds years ago will I still get immediately denied and have to go the more expensive route (HIMS), or is there a better approach this. Also if I wanted to get this sorted out first before submitting my application, who would I contact (FAA, AME, HIMS AME…). Thanks in advanced!

Disclaimer: I am an AME and work with a HIMS trained AME but am not yet HIMS trained myself.
I suggest you start with an experienced HIMS trained AME to talk through your history and discuss the best way to get your medical. I also suggest doing this before you submit for the medical so you can get all your "ducks in a row" for your first submission.

"years ago" does not seem to register with the FAA. But don't fret, follow the advice of an AME/HIMS AME prior to starting the med certificate application and you should be fine. You will have some hoops to jump through but if that is the only incident outstanding in your records ultimately a Class 3 or better can be obtained.

My question is, if I submit for a medical, even though I took the meds years ago will I still get immediately denied and have to go the more expensive route (HIMS), or is there a better approach this.
If you were on SSRIs *once* in the past, you *may* be issued without going the SI or HIMS route.

Also if I wanted to get this sorted out first before submitting my application, who would I contact (FAA, AME, HIMS AME…). Thanks in advanced!
It is best to consult with an AME before applying; better still if you can walk in with a letter like this in your hand:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/previous-ssri-use.53419/#post-1002031
(keywords: transient, resolved)

Last edited:
if it has been a few years since you were on the med, I doubt you will need a full hims. you report the facts and your exam will be deferred. I am sure the faa will want at least a psychiatric exam and records.

Get a good history and assesment form a Board certied psychiatrist (not an ARNP)"risk factors for recurrence" is what this is all about. FAA's view is, Psychiatry illness calls out psychiatrist.

IME the PCP just does not know the items needed in the history....

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back