What the Heck is a Funnel Gunnel?

Garavar

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Garavar
pByeXvu.gif

From the Movie Summer Rental. Never heard that term before all I know is microburst. Weather experts where are you?

Video here if you want to watch what the plane does:

I remember watching an episode of "Seven Brides for Seven Bothers" on TV as a kid. One of the characters didn't want to face something and came down with a medical affliction called a "Bosporus".

I asked my Dad how someone catches Bosporus, he said "Hollywood". :7

It’s a result of wingtip vortices (the funnel), the top plank on a boat’s side (gunwhale, pronounced “gunnel”), and some Hollywood writers doing drugs.

So he sees a lot of boats there at land locked Hartfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport while working what appears to be Atlanta Center. Hmm.

First time watching that movie? Doesn’t matter what funnel gunnel is, one of John Candy’s best movies.

So he sees a lot of boats there at land locked Hartfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport while working what appears to be Atlanta Center. Hmm.
That’s where the “drugs” part comes in.

First time watching that movie? Doesn’t matter what funnel gunnel is, one of John Candy’s best movies.

No I've seen it plenty of times but not for years. First time watching it as a pilot though and immediately stopped to figure out what a funnel gunnel was since there are hundreds of them.

I always assumed it was a low level funnel, at the gullet level. I. E. a thermal with associated wind gust he could steer into for a fresh breeze.

They did in fact shoot some of that movie at ZTL.

"gunnel" has become an accepted alternative spelling of "gunwale."
Because I am something of a traditionalist, I used "gunwale" in my first two novels then switched to "gunnel."

Back