Travel CPAP recommendations

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Hey folks.

I’d appreciate recommendations for a travel CPAP machine. Looking specifically at what works well for pilots, data collection, convenience, or anything else that will make my travel easier. Also looking for dependability as I’ll be overnighting about 12 days per month with the new job. Domestic and international mix.

Thanks much!

I loved using my Resmed Air Mini when I was flying 200K miles/year. It's tiny in comparison to my Resmed 10 and 11 home machines. It packs in a fraction of the space, which is really valuable when you're trying to carry only a rollaboard (I hated checking bags flying internationally). Full bluetooth telemetry to your smartphone. The only downside is the lack of a built-in humidifier tank, but it has a unique adapter to retain some humidity. I rarely use it anymore after I retired in 2019. I paid $1000 for it in 2018. It's still in perfect condition and I'm willing to part with it if you're interested.

Last edited:
recommendations for a travel CPAP machine.
according to a recent thread on BeechTalk, we should wear CPAP *while* flying. Apparently inflating the alveoli increases oxygen transfer, seems reasonable. They reported at 12,000’ increasing sat from 87% to 95%

Paul

I loved using my Resmed Air Mini when I was flying 200K miles/year. It's tiny in comparison to my Resmed 10 and 11 home machines. It packs in a fraction of the space, which is really valuable when you're trying to carry only a rollaboard (I hated checking bags flying internationally). Full bluetooth telemetry to your smartphone. The only downside is the lack of a built-in humidifier tank, but it has a unique adapter to retain some humidity. I rarely use it anymore after I retired in 2019. I paid $1000 for it in 2018. It's still in perfect condition and I'm willing to part with it if you're interested.
Thanks David! This model is definitely one I’m considering. Good to know that it served you well in regards to size and data collection.
Did you find the mini acceptable without using the humidity filters? I have an ResMed 10 for home also. How would you say it compares in regards to airflow and noise?
Thanks for the offer to sell. I’d be down for a deal normally but it’s actually looking like my current medical insurance is going to cover the purchase. They covered the last one without any issues. It wasn’t a “travel” model though. Hopefully the size classification doesn’t change anything pertaining to insurance coverage.

according to a recent thread on BeechTalk, we should wear CPAP *while* flying. Apparently inflating the alveoli increases oxygen transfer, seems reasonable. They reported at 12,000’ increasing sat from 87% to 95%

Paul

Very interesting. I might have to try this with my Bonanza! There’re a few of the travel types that claim to compensate for altitude. 12K might be a bit excessive to compensate though. There’s one called the Z2 that seems to promote camping and altitude compensation.
Now I have another reason to justify purchasing a battery pack:)

Thanks David! This model is definitely one I’m considering. Good to know that it served you well in regards to size and data collection.
Did you find the mini acceptable without using the humidity filters? I have an ResMed 10 for home also. How would you say it compares in regards to airflow and noise?
Thanks for the offer to sell. I’d be down for a deal normally but it’s actually looking like my current medical insurance is going to cover the purchase. They covered the last one without any issues. It wasn’t a “travel” model though. Hopefully the size classification doesn’t change anything pertaining to insurance coverage.
I definitely prefer my water tank and heated hose on the full-size unit but the Mini was fine for a few days of travel. The Mini is definitely a bit louder than my home unit. Since it is a much smaller machine, the fan must be turning higher RPM so it's a few decibels louder. But it never bothered me. A light sleeper, though, might be bothered by the additional noise. Certainly you should take the new machine if insurance springs for it. If you are paying for supplies, one thing you should pick up on eBay is a $15 3D-printed adapter that lets you hook up a standard CPAP hose. Resmed designed the Mini so it uses proprietary (read EXPENSIVE) hoses and masks. With the adapter and a standard hose, you can connect any hose to any standard headgear, and you'd even have the option to connect an external humidifier tank if you choose. Good luck!

Very interesting. I might have to try this with my Bonanza! There’re a few of the travel types that claim to compensate for altitude. 12K might be a bit excessive to compensate though. There’s one called the Z2 that seems to promote camping and altitude compensation.
Now I have another reason to justify purchasing a battery pack:)
I use an Inogen G5 oxygen concentrator and absolutely love it. I carry it anytime I'm flying cross-country and switch it on anytime I'm over 8000 MSL, 5000 at night. It is the perfect companion for ultimate safety.

Thanks for the great info. My current insurance runs out at the end of the month. It’d be nice to have a new travel cpap machine on there before switching jobs 1st of next month.

the air mini is awesome as a travel cpap. Only issue I have is that it doesnt dump the data to a SD card to be uploaded to my cpap data logger that my resmed airsense units do.

the air mini is awesome as a travel cpap. Only issue I have is that it doesnt dump the data to a SD card to be uploaded to my cpap data logger that my resmed airsense units do.
I was worried about that myself initially. A couple guys on here have given insight to this concern which makes me feel better about the mini choice. Check the other post I created about travel cpap data collection.

I was worried about that myself initially. A couple guys on here have given insight to this concern which makes me feel better about the mini choice. Check the other post I created about travel cpap data collection.

I have one of these. The resmed mini will send the data to your phone which will upload it to the resmed site. All you need to do is provide your sleep doc with the serial number of the unit and they can access your sleep data from the resmed portal.

I travel a lot and am on an SI for sleep apnea so I wanted to make sure that they had access to the data so I would have the data to back up my compliance for my renewal.

I have one of these. The resmed mini will send the data to your phone which will upload it to the resmed site. All you need to do is provide your sleep doc with the serial number of the unit and they can access your sleep data from the resmed portal.

I travel a lot and am on an SI for sleep apnea so I wanted to make sure that they had access to the data so I would have the data to back up my compliance for my renewal.

Good to know. I appreciate it. I’m on a SI also. Have a AirSense 10 for the home. Do you have a separate unit for the house or is the mini your primary?
My situation is complicated. I have the home unit at my house, my wife also has a house, and I’m flying full time starting next month. So I’m looking for something that’ll make it easier with all the back and forth by keeping my AirSense 10 stationary at the house.

Good to know. I appreciate it. I’m on a SI also. Have a AirSense 10 for the home. Do you have a separate unit for the house or is the mini your primary?
My situation is complicated. I have the home unit at my house, my wife also has a house, and I’m flying full time starting next month. So I’m looking for something that’ll make it easier with all the back and forth by keeping my AirSense 10 stationary at the house.

Yep, I have a dream station for my home use and it never leaves the bedside. I travel extensively for work and my girlfriend lives in another city so my mini pretty much lives in my roller bag and I use it whenever I'm not home. It works really well.

Can't overstate the importance of frequent cleaning....not saying that I learned that the hard way or anything...

Yep, I have a dream station for my home use and it never leaves the bedside. I travel extensively for work and my girlfriend lives in another city so my mini pretty much lives in my roller bag and I use it whenever I'm not home. It works really well.

Can't overstate the importance of frequent cleaning....not saying that I learned that the hard way or anything...

I’m placing an order tomorrow for the mini hopefully. Just found out that insurance won’t cover a travel size for some reason! My HRA/flexible card should cover it as an out of pocket expense.

I understand they’re supposed to be kept clean. Yours cause you a problem? I try to do a full up cleaning once per month on my home unit. It has an auto air flow to dry out the tube and mask after using. Goes a long way towards keeping the bacteria down.

No problem, unit works beautifully, you’ll be happy with it.

I use an Inogen G5 oxygen concentrator and absolutely love it. I carry it anytime I'm flying cross-country and switch it on anytime I'm over 8000 MSL, 5000 at night. It is the perfect companion for ultimate safety.
That's a slick setup. Do you only fly solo or have you found a Y splitter so more than one person can use it? How do you power it in flight?

looking to buy one after the new year for precisely this reason. I go on oxygen at the same altitudes.

Paul

For second, I thought it was to ensure a deeper sleep while in the cockpit.........

Paul
I sound like Darth Vader in a wind tunnel if I try to talk while wearing one, I can only imagine trying to talk on the radio while wearing one.

I sound like Darth Vader in a wind tunnel if I try to talk while wearing one, I can only imagine trying to talk on the radio while wearing one.
Great point. I find it almost impossible to talk with a CPAP mask on!

Was it troublesome to get a medical after the sleep apnea diagnosis?

Nope, there are a number of threads on PoA that talk about how to handle sleep apnea and getting a medical.

Was it troublesome to get a medical after the sleep apnea diagnosis?

Not bad at all. Once I completed the sleep study and diagnosed with OSA my medical privileges were lost for about a week. The doc gave a cpap prescription. I was back in the cockpit once it was properly in use. That was a few years ago. Definitely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Sleep quality is perfectly normal now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back