Life-Changing Bands (or Songs)

Linkin Park absolutely made up my formative years

“**** on the wall” by J Geils. I’ve had a problem with authority ever since….

Finally got to see Off With Their Heads last night. Not my favorite band but I like 'em enough to give them a little of my hard-earned money.
The live show was not as good as I'd hoped but was the best of the four bands last night. The guy has got some pipes (that's an understatement) and the band was very tight.

They were second bill to The Smoking Popes, who were exactly as expected, so I left after 1 1/2 songs and still got home at a reasonable hour :D

Nauga,
the old guy in the back

Terry Hall, of The Specials, died yesterday so I've been enjoying a little Ska revival.

Nauga,
two-toned tonight

I remember when Ska went mainstream for all of two seconds in the mid-90s with Real Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Even No Doubt was in that pop-punk-ska gray area. Wish it would have had more staying power sure to the musicality alone.

I remember when Ska went mainstream for all of two seconds in the mid-90s with Real Big Fish and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Even No Doubt was in that pop-punk-ska gray area. Wish it would have had more staying power sure to the musicality alone.
Mid to late 90's... Would explain why I have a soft spot for it. Less than Jake is another. And now for a Spotify binge into my preteen years

Never noticed this thread before.

My draft picks...

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Tool - Schism

Pantera - Cemetery Gates

Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place

Alice in Chains - Nutshell

... Also given the prominence of Pink Floyd in the favorites list of folks, I'm guessing not everyone lived a totally "straight edge" life in their youth... *FAA eye narrowing intensifies*

I remember when Ska went mainstream for all of two seconds in the mid-90s...Wish it would have had more staying power sure to the musicality alone.
It's cyclical, that was called the third wave. Asian Man records is back at it, The Interrupters are sort of big, Half Past Two is pretty good and happy, LTJ and (IIRC) Goldfinger are touring again and I think I saw that The Pietasters were still playing around DC. Heck, if Tim Armstrong is still alive he's probably got something cool going on. It's all there still/again/anew if you want it.

Nauga,
who is baffled by people who say there's been no good music since [insert the year they graduated from high school]

ETA: Had to change my avatar for this :cool:

Last edited:
It's cyclical, that was called the third wave. Asian Man records is back at it, The Interrupters are sort of big, Half Past Two is pretty good and happy, LTJ and (IIRC) Goldfinger are touring again and I think I saw that The Pietasters were still playing around DC. Heck, if Tim Armstrong is still alive he's probably got something cool going on. It's all there still/again/anew if you want it.

Nauga,
who is baffled by people who say there's been no good music since [insert the year they graduated from high school]

ETA: Had to change my avatar for this :cool:

Yeah, I'd say that's one of the best parts about satellite radio and then internet streaming services. The typical 20-30 song rotation on the terrestrial radio stations didn't give most of the populace much of a selection to expand upon, just whatever the record companies wanted to promote. Streaming radio has really allowed bands to get exposure who would previously never had a chance to be heard outside of whatever local dives they had been playing. There's plenty of great music being produced in every genre if one is wanting to hear it. All available at your fingertips.

Got to go with 'Saturday Night Fever' soundtrack/BeeGees.

Where is the 'projectile vomiting' emoji???

Well, that certainly might qualify for "life-changing", in that, it could generate a subconscious desire to wretch every time you heard it on the radio.
That reminds me, I meant to post some Residents a while back. ETA: except for the 'hearing it on the radio' part. :eek:

Nauga,
and Ralph Records

The first Jeff Beck song I ever heard from the first of many Jeff Beck albums I owned.

Music for mellower times.

Nauga,
and a moment of silence

Was wondering when someone would post a Jeff Beck tribute. One of the best.

I don't know about life changing, but as songs go it has a bit of a punch. Johnny Cash cover of NIN's Hurt.

Was definitely a cool take on the song. I prefer the "musicality" of the original with Trent Reznor, but the song feels more sincere with Johnny Cash's old voice singing a set of lyrics that could have been written about his life.

There are also a couple of good videos of Reznor and David Bowie doing the song together when they toured in the mid 90s. Great harmonies, and... David Bowie!

This is not life changing, but I just came across this acoustical of A-ha doing Take on Me. Thought it was awesome. I never knew they were Norwegian.

Ugh, that’s awful…the sloooooow tempo doesn’t work for that song.

Paid a visit to the '80's recently to visit with some old friends:

The Nomads (again):

The Fleshtones:
I can't stand the studio version of this song but I love this live version - Urgh! is also an interesting look at the odder side of '80's music in general

and more Agent Orange:
Studio version is good, this live version is much better.

One nice thing about my taste in music is it doesn't take much of a time investment at 2:00 a pop. :D

Nauga,
louder

Last edited:
I haven’t listened to that album for 30 years, but I absolutely loved it back in the day.

When I have to concentrate on something,I have playing in the background

1. YES - Close to the Edge
2. Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
3. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
4. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
5. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

I was in my 20's. Spent most of my adolescence and early adulthood hustling jobs to save for flight lessons. I knew I was going to be a pilot. Fought through college and work while building my flight resume. I never had much time for fun or being a normal teenager. Everything revolved around flying and airplanes. The prospects for getting a flying job were dismal at that time. While driving on a trip through Texas, I was listening to Country on the radio. Never really heard Country before, but not many other choices in Texas. Garth Brooks came on singing "Much Too Young To Feel This Damn Old". Right then, I decided to live my life first, aviation second.

Saw Béla Fleck again last night, this time supporting a new bluegrass album. I've seen him play rock, fusion, and now bluegrass and he's always amazing.

Nauga,
and his cosmic hippo

Paid a visit to the '80's recently to visit with some old friends:

The Nomads (again):

The Fleshtones:
I can't stand the studio version of this song but I love this live version - Urgh! is also an interesting look at the odder side of '80's music in general

and more Agent Orange:
Studio version is good, this live version is much better.

One nice thing about my taste in music is it doesn't take much of a time investment at 2:00 a pop. :D

Nauga,
louder

I think the last time I heard Agent Orange I was wearing an Enigma Records sweatshirt and riding a snowboard in the pipe at Breckenridge.

Been playing a lot of Offspring the last few days. Their 94 album is the best selling independent record of all time.

@FastEddieB posted a song by James McMurtry that reminded me of a song I always liked from him called Choctaw Bingo. Probably because it has an Oklahoma/Texas twist on it with the locations/points of interest, but it's a fun swipe at a lot of family dynamics common in the South (and probably everywhere).

Too many to name. If there is not a song playing in my head, it’s not worth getting out of bed. Here’s a few:
Simple Man, Lynyrd Skynyrd
Down a Hole, Alice In Chains
Street Corner Preacher, Amos Lee
Remedy, The Black Crowes
Red Dirt Road, Brooks & Dunn (reboot version is fantastic)
Stir it Up, Bob Marley
Long As I Can See The Light, CCR

And of course - the inspiration of my ‘handle’:

Learning to Fly, Tom Petty (Live from Bonnaroo)

Summer is rapidly approaching, and tour season has started, and I am thoroughly enjoying the resurgence in live music opportunities. I've picked up a few local favorites here and there but next week is turning out to be one of the best weeks for live music I can recall.

Sunday: Man...or Astro-Man. I traveled to see them last year, well worth the trip, but this time they're playing minutes from me. New EP, too.

Friday: Pokey Lafarge. He's not for everybody. I haven't seen him live yet but I've heard he's very good. I'll let you know. :cool:

Saturday: The Interrupters. I've been waiting a while for them to be within range. Wonder if I can find my porkpie hat?

Several other bands I've been waiting for are passing through later, but this is the big week. Better get more earplugs.

Nauga,
who is genre fluid

I think the last time I heard Agent Orange I was wearing an Enigma Records sweatshirt and riding a snowboard in the pipe at Breckenridge.
Hope it was a sick sesh. Wait, that's Teenage Bottlerocket.

Nauga,
and a cry for help in a world gone mad

Back