Is the Skybeacon/Tailbeacon still the cheapest and easiest ADS-B option?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
When I bought my Yankee, avionics shops were crazy busy, and the only option under $3K for adding ADS-B to a plane without a WAAS navigator was the Skybeacon/Tailbeacon.

I am shopping for my next plane, and I live with 30nm of LAS. I am looking for a basic VFR plane, and am working on the assumption that if I buy a certificated plane, I will have to budget for the SkyBeacon (with other options being considered for an experimental).

Are there other options I should consider in today's avionics market?

Still pretty much the cheapest and easiest. But you'll still need to have a lot of faith in the existing transponder. That part has not changed.

I’d say most planes you would be looking at would already likely be equipped.

Personally; I prefer the 1090mhz units. Instead of 2 devices to maintain (transponder and sky beacon), you only have one (the transponder).

From what I have seen reported, if you have one of these, run the status report from the FAA every so often to make sure it is actually working.

I waited for the tailBeacon over the skyBeacon, and the tailBeacon would still be my recommendation between the two. It has been flawless in my Warrior (-161) as shown by the FAA Performance Reports.

I also picked up a replacement transponder on ebay for cheap. I tested it and it works, so it's bubble-wrapped in my hangar should I ever need it.

I’d say most planes you would be looking at would already likely be equipped.

Personally; I prefer the 1090mhz units. Instead of 2 devices to maintain (transponder and sky beacon), you only have one (the transponder).

Most of them are, but I am looking at a plane next week that is not, so I want to make sure I include it in the value calculation.

The challenge with the 1090mhz units (and most UAT units) is the need for a WAAS position source. At my budget, I have not looked at a single plane with a WAAS navigator, and adding a WAAS position source is as expensive as most ADS-B options.

I didn't realize the GDL-82 included a position source.

I wonder how much installation would run on one of those.

Is that a pirep? The GDL-82 install looks pretty darn simple. And I haven’t read threads about how it doesn’t work.

The gdl82 has its own internal position source or you can use a waas garmin source like gns or gtn. We have done a 10-15 gdl82 installs in the past. Install times/cost depends on existing equipment, type aircraft, etc. Average install cost we have done somewhere around $700. AV74 transponder antenna or equivalent also required unless your aircraft has one already.

The gdl82 has its own internal position source or you can use a waas garmin source like gns or gtn. We have done a 10-15 gdl82 installs in the past. Install times/cost depends on existing equipment, type aircraft, etc. Average install cost we have done somewhere around $700. AV74 transponder antenna or equivalent also required unless your aircraft has one already.
Have you installed a skyBeacon/tailBeacon?

The GDL-82 install looks pretty darn simple.
Yes, but the *Beacon is even more simple.

To annotate and add to what @Doug Reid said about the GDL82:
  • Possible transponder antenna replacement
  • New coax to the transponder antenna
  • Possibly fabricate a mount and drill holes for the GDL82
  • Find a spot and drill holes to mount the GPS antenna (needed for the OP's case)
  • New coax to the GPS antenna
  • New circuit breaker(?)
  • New wires for power and ground
  • Configure
Contrast this with a tailBeacon:
  • Unbolt light
  • Wire to existing power and ground
  • Bolt up tailBeacon to existing mount
  • Tap a few buttons on the app
And I haven’t read threads about how it doesn’t work.
That's a whole other topic. :)

Things that sold me on SkyBeacon as opposed to GLD82. (same holds true for TailBeacon)
1. Didn't have to put in an additional antenna.
2. No new wiring.
3. Didn't have to remove interior to mount.
4. When paired with the SkySensor I get LED nav lights & ADSB in.

Just be aware that the tailBeacon and skyBeacon require a Mode C transponder and are not authorized for Mode S.

Yes, but the *Beacon is even more simple.

To annotate and add to what @Doug Reid said about the GDL82:
  • Possible transponder antenna replacement
  • New coax to the transponder antenna
  • Possibly fabricate a mount and drill holes for the GDL82
  • Find a spot and drill holes to mount the GPS antenna (needed for the OP's case)
  • New coax to the GPS antenna
  • New circuit breaker(?)
  • New wires for power and ground
  • Configure
Contrast this with a tailBeacon:
  • Unbolt light
  • Wire to existing power and ground
  • Bolt up tailBeacon to existing mount
  • Tap a few buttons on the app

That's a whole other topic. :)

You forgot 2 steps:
- Install the stickers (Position lights must be on for ADS-B/Wireless SSID info)
- Have an A&P inspect and sign off the install (if you are an owner working under supervision)

All ads-b out installs require an FAA 337 unless you are flying an EAB, so an IA has to sign off on it. The main advantage of the gdl82 is it connects directly to the transponder and has more output power. In either case, the condition of your transponder is key. It is hard to beat the installation simplicity of a Skybeacon or Tailbeacon.

I have installed the beacons (both types) and the GDL82. The beacons are much easier, but I haven't had good reviews overall. I always recommend a new transponder like the Stratus ESG. Many planes with the beacon have a transponder older than I am. Yes, replacing the transponder with another of the same model is usually very cheap, but technically you would need to get a new transponder cert as well. I much prefer a new digital transponder with the GPS built in.

@Jesse Saint are there any transponders you recommend for a budget install.

You didn't ask me but if you have a WAAS GPS source the GTX330ES is probably one of the least expensive methods of getting ADSB out with a new transponder installation.

Most of them are, but I am looking at a plane next week that is not, so I want to make sure I include it in the value calculation.

The challenge with the 1090mhz units (and most UAT units) is the need for a WAAS position source. At my budget, I have not looked at a single plane with a WAAS navigator, and adding a WAAS position source is as expensive as most ADS-B options.
The tailbeacon/skybeacon do not require an external WAAS source. Simply a working mode C transponder.

Save up money and get a GTX-345 or GNX-375. In/Out ADS-B in a modern transponder is worth the scratch. Nice to be on 1090 in/Out and 978 in. Plus the GTX-345 has AHRS for BlueTooth connectivity to an iPad driving ForeFlight's synthetic vision.

I know and understand being cash strapped. Having flown both SkyBeacon/Tail Beacon planes and new ADS-B transponder planes, the new transponder was a significant upgrade.

BTW, a cool feature of the Garmin ADS-B transponders is they accept an OAT probe input and display density altitude on the transponder. I've found it useful even at altitude while flying.

Best of luck figuring the way forward.

Last edited:
“Save money and get a GTX-345 or GNX-375“
Save money? $5,700 + $2,00 install? Vs $2,000 + $100.
For my $20,000 120 that doesn’t make any sense. For my 182 it will get a 345 next year when I put a 750 in.

Anyone looking for a used tail beacon? I wish I’d gone another route. Would have been cheaper in the long run.

after going back and forth with the FAA for six months, dealing with UAvionix trying to trouble shoot a defective unit, I could have installed an adsb transponder.

I replaced the beacon, but still have problems. Most recently I couldn’t connect to it, it is in anonymous mode, but is not anonymous. During the 6 months of trouble shooting, uavionix insisted on several things, NEW dedicated ground, as in new hole in 68 year old air crane. NEW power wire all the way back. NEW breaker. Numerous test flights. On the phone going through all the settings several times. Finally they agreed it was a bad unit, they would not send me a replacement until AFTER I had sent them the old one.
Worst piece of dung I’ve ever paid for on the airplane.

While we're discussing options, look at the TailbeaconX: WAAS and with an AV30c it becomes your transponder. Myself and my A&P installed in under 5 hours, deleted the vacuum system and my old Narco 150, and gained an EFIS that is more than capable for VFR or I Follow Roads XC flights.

On a budget, if you have an A&P you can work with, it's under 5K and a lot of bang for your buck. I get a $1200 rebate on my tailbeacon and maybe a few bucks for the pump and old Transponder.

Back