Discontinue SSRI, Ritalin

Michael Gallagher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gallagher80304
Just beginning my journey toward a PPL. Have been told medical clearance up front is smart. Have read many of the threads here regarding that.

If someone discontinues an SSRI (say less than 3 years of use) and Ritalin (used for an illness that is not ADHD) and then sees an AME, I assume those meds can be excluded from the MedXPress? But not whatever diagnosis was associated with them in the list of past medical conditions?
Is there any real benefit to staying off such meds for several months and then having an AME?

If a HIMS AME and/or neurocog eval is mandated, how long does that whole process take? I am seeing wide ranges of times reported.

My goal is to try to get through ground school and 141 or 61 (unsure of path) over the next 6 months and have the medical cleared by then. I have an AME appointment in 2 weeks but unsure if that is the best move. I am a high-functioning professional (surgeon), but it seems that the FAA may not care what you are capable of in real life if you check the wrong box.

Just beginning my journey toward a PPL. Have been told medical clearance up front is smart. Have read many of the threads here regarding that.

If someone discontinues an SSRI (say less than 3 years of use) and Ritalin (used for an illness that is not ADHD) and then sees an AME, I assume those meds can be excluded from the MedXPress? But not whatever diagnosis was associated with them in the list of past medical conditions?
Is there any real benefit to staying off such meds for several months and then having an AME?

If a HIMS AME and/or neurocog eval is mandated, how long does that whole process take? I am seeing wide ranges of times reported.

My goal is to try to get through ground school and 141 or 61 (unsure of path) over the next 6 months and have the medical cleared by then. I have an AME appointment in 2 weeks but unsure if that is the best move. I am a high-functioning professional (surgeon), but it seems that the FAA may not care what you are capable of in real life if you check the wrong box.

As a real practicing MD I would be very interested in your take on FAA medicine after you (maybe) arrive on the other end of this journey you are about to go on

I am not a Doctor. But after years of reading these forums, I strongly suspect your path to an FAA medical certificate will be long and expensive. The best advice now is to NOT APPLY for a med cert, but instead go to an AME and have a consultation. Level with him, and he will spell out your chances of success and the correct path to your goal. You are wise to seek advice before your AME visit. I wish you luck on your path to the skies.

-Skip

'If someone discontinues an SSRI (say less than 3 years of use) and Ritalin (used for an illness that is not ADHD) and then sees an AME, I assume those meds can be excluded from the MedXPress? But not whatever diagnosis was associated with them in the list of past medical conditions?
Is there any real benefit to staying off such meds for several months and then having an AME?'

Correct. The diagnoses remain and are to be reported. The benefit of being off the meds is negligible.

'If a HIMS AME and/or neurocog eval is mandated, how long does that whole process take? I am seeing wide ranges of times reported.'

If the FAA mandates a HIMS eval, that can take a couple of years. A neurocog eval can be done in a day.

'...it seems that the FAA may not care what you are capable of in real life if you check the wrong box..

True... the FAA has their own criteria as to whom they grant a medical certificate to.

You might consider going the LSA route while you get all your ducks in-line for a FAA medical, but don’t do anything on medexpress until you’re fully ready to take the FAAs medical roller coaster

For fun reading look up the bios for many of the AMEs and FAA medical people in OKC

You might consider going the LSA route while you get all your ducks in-line for a FAA medical, but don’t do anything on medexpress until you’re fully ready to take the FAAs medical roller coaster

For fun reading look up the bios for many of the AMEs and FAA medical people in OKC
These are the people that will review my application ultimately?

LSA may be a decent option. I filled out a medxpress before I knew all this ****. I am going to use a different email address and fill out another simply because I am going to stop the Ritalin and I realized there are more details I need to add.

Ugh. This whole thing bums me out. Years to hopefully fix all this seems nuts!

Do people hire Dr. Bruce because he increases the chances of getting a class3 or decrease the time it takes until a decision?

LSA may be a decent option. I filled out a medxpress before I knew all this ****. I am going to use a different email address and fill out another simply because I am going to stop the Ritalin and I realized there are more details I need to add.

Cancel the appointment and let the original Medexpress time out. Or don't give the AME office the number code they need to officially open your medical file with the FAA. I don't know what you're taking the Ritalin for, but I would highly suggest getting in touch with a AME that regularly deals with "hard" cases and going over your history with them.

If you're just flying for fun, LSA is a really good way to go and doesn't require a visit to the medical office if you have a driver's license.

Cancel the appointment and let the original Medexpress time out. Or don't give the AME office the number code they need to officially open your medical file with the FAA. I don't know what you're taking the Ritalin for, but I would highly suggest getting in touch with a AME that regularly deals with "hard" cases and going over your history with them.

If you're just flying for fun, LSA is a really good way to go and doesn't require a visit to the medical office if you have a driver's license.
Thanks. I will look into LSA. Ritalin is not for ADHD for me. I took it reluctantly for another issue. Now I REALLY wish I had not.

Is it possible to do an LSA and then apply for a class 3 so that I can fly while waiting for AME clearance?

Thanks. I will look into LSA. Ritalin is not for ADHD for me. I took it reluctantly for another issue. Now I REALLY wish I had not.

Is it possible to do an LSA and then apply for a class 3 so that I can fly while waiting for AME clearance?
You can get a Sport Pilot certificate, or just train and solo in light sport aircraft without a medical while you work on those issues. You can also get a private glider rating.

Stating the obvious, but you're a doctor, if you don't want to take the Ritalin, don't. But you'll still have to disclose the diagnosis, so that may not matter to the FAA. Unless it's a diagnosis the FAA doesn't care about.

If you want to know, fill out the medxpress form, print it out. Tear off the confirmation code, and make an appointment with a "hard case" AME for a consultation. Make clear when you book the appointment that's what you want. No one here can give you a definitive answer without more details.

Do people hire Dr. Bruce because he increases the chances of getting a class3 or decrease the time it takes until a decision?

Both. For me, he had the knowledge of what my chances were of getting it, and exactly what documents were required without all the stress, uncertainty, and time of a deferral. Those are huge benefits.

He doesn’t necessarily increase the chances, he can tell you with near certainty whether your medical history is certifiable and how to go about that.

If Dr Bruce says jump, the only suitable response is “how high?” and then do it.

His price to consult will likely be less than a couple of hours of flying training.

You should understand the FAA cares if your medical history is certifiable under their regulatory requirements which has little to do with your current health.

He doesn’t necessarily increase the chances, he can tell you with near certainty whether your medical history is certifiable and how to go about that.

If Dr Bruce says jump, the only suitable response is “how high?” and then do it.

His price to consult will likely be less than a couple of hours of flying training.

You should understand the FAA cares if your medical history is certifiable under their regulatory requirements which has little to do with your current health.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

The best and brightest of medicine are not often drawn to a GS job with the FAA

Look into LSA a little more

Don’t worry about the med express, just don’t give anyone the number off the application

Also

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/

Fun reading

https://www.usajobs.gov/job/684967000

Last edited:
How far back does the FAA request records if the AME refers someone for additional eval (e.g., cog screen, HIMS AME). Do they ask for records further back than the 3 years they ask on the MedExpress?

I'm pretty sure the FAA wants every record you have ever had connected to the reason you're being recommended for cog screen or HIMS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back