Rant iOS Upgrade

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I recently had my Apple iPhone and iPad upgrade to 16.1
That was a hideous mistake. It completely trashed all my photos. I have yet to figure how to simply view all my photos by the date they were shot. I do NOT want @#$$#@^ music attached to my photos.

My iBooks reading experience was also trashed. Just hitting the bookmark became a pain.

I have a serious temptation to take my iDevices outside to the concrete and smash then into itty bitty tiny pieces.

GRRRR

Bottom of iPhotos, select “Albums” and then “Recents.”

Currently you’re stuck in “For You” it seems.

Once you select recents it should always go there.

In iBooks (Now called “Books”) go to the search window and type in “Who moved my cheese?” Buy that book $7.99 and read it.

Funny, and here I've been trying to figure out what is so different. My photo app behaves normally. No music; photos listed by date just like before.

I don't use ibooks that much but I don't see much different there either.

I didn't notice any changes to anything after the recent update, and I use photos and Books regularly. I did need to revise the complications on my Apple Watch, but I think that was because of a Watch update.

If you like to see dates and location for photo scrolling select "Library" at the bottom. If not, select Albums and Recent, or whatever album you prefer.

What is really frustrating, and this has happened for several IOS "upgrades", is that if I pull up my photos on a PC via file manager, it's a huge mess of folders with two or three photos in them.

I like to delete, or save photos using the PC via file manager because it is easy and convenient. Well, no more.

Is there an app that allows you to manage music on your laptop then easily move the songs to your iDevice....or are we stuck with iTunes?

Seems like I can spend over 30 minutes trying to move a few mp3s from my laptop files to iTunes, and often it will fail to transfer, with no mention of why. The sync function (sending from iTunes to iDevice) often is cantankerous too!

Mine is currently running 16.0.2 and there is an update available for 16.1 but I have automatic updates turned off. So maybe I'll just leave it alone for a little longer ...

As the saying goes, “Never fly the A model of anything”. My SOP for iOS Updates is to wait for XX.1 or XX.2

Is there an app that allows you to manage music on your laptop then easily move the songs to your iDevice....or are we stuck with iTunes?

You must be using Windows? iTunes on the Mac went away 3 years ago with Mac OS Catalina (10.15). And good riddance.

As the saying goes, “Never fly the A model of anything”. My SOP for iOS Updates is to wait for XX.1 or XX.2

Bad news... This IS the .1 update. Thankfully, it sounds like most people aren't seeing any difference like the OP is.

@pmanton was the post 2 solution (or anything else) successful for you?

What did they replace it with?

iTunes was replaced by a bunch of distinct pieces: Music app, Podcasts app, Finder manages syncing, etc...

iTunes itself was originally just an app for playing MP3s. Then the iPod was introduced, and since it was an MP3 player, they figured they'd put the sync functionality in the existing app rather than make a separate one. Eventually iPods got color screens and they started syncing pictures too. Then the iPhone came out and since they were already using it for syncing everything...

That's how iTunes became what it was at the end. Thankfully, someone with enough clout knew it was not a good UX and finally killed it, at least on the Mac. Windows is already such a bad UX that iTunes, though colossally bad on Windows compared to the Mac, isn't so bad compared to the rest of Windows! :rofl:

Unless there is a feature you really need, upgrading iOS is a mistake, cost me almost $800 on a new iPad recently

My old iPad ran just as fast as my new one until I “upgraded” it

When even the old processors are very powerful without the bloatware why would anyone upgrade? -> “updates”

Security. As with any software these days, hackers are finding vulnerabilities. If you're lucky, it's a white-hat hacker who notifies Apple or whatever other OEM is responsible so that they can patch it, hopefully before the black-hat hackers (the bad guys) find it and put exploits on your device. In either case, the black hat guys will find it eventually, so there's a constant stream of patches to eliminate the vulnerabilities. If you don't update, you might as well just offer your device up to the Russians or Chinese.

Also, give these updates time. Generally, the performance does improve, even if you don't do another update. Each major version learns your habits over the first week or so so that it can optimize battery charging and enable some smart features that assist you with various things. That process takes CPU and, of course, battery. Once it's complete, your device will be faster and the battery life will return.

Security. As with any software these days, hackers are finding vulnerabilities. If you're lucky, it's a white-hat hacker who notifies Apple or whatever other OEM is responsible so that they can patch it, hopefully before the black-hat hackers (the bad guys) find it and put exploits on your device. In either case, the black hat guys will find it eventually, so there's a constant stream of patches to eliminate the vulnerabilities. If you don't update, you might as well just offer your device up to the Russians or Chinese.

Also, give these updates time. Generally, the performance does improve, even if you don't do another update. Each major version learns your habits over the first week or so so that it can optimize battery charging and enable some smart features that assist you with various things. That process takes CPU and, of course, battery. Once it's complete, your device will be faster and the battery life will return.

Maybe for some exploits, but update or the evil Russians win? No thanks, I’ll need a better sales pitch to destroy my expensive electronics

I have seen their bloat ware updates slow down many devices and cost me money, they have lost in court over this matter before, making your older iPad/iPhone seem slow so you buy a new one probably makes more money even with paying nuisance money in a lawsuit every few years

Back