Korean Airlines Airbus 330 overshoots runway in Phillipines

Abundant array of runway end lighting in place.

The runway landed on is infamous for holding water, and has ponding problems. Braking may have been near zero the last 1000 feet, according to PRUNE reports.

There seems to be no fatalities, but evacuating that many passengers down the emergency slides, there is a high likelihood of injuries.

I wonder if they had enough fuel for their alternant, or perhaps the alternant was equally flooded?

You can’t walk away from that one without thinking you’re f’ing invincible.

Abundant array of runway end lighting in place.

The runway landed on is infamous for holding water, and has ponding problems. Braking may have been near zero the last 1000 feet, according to PRUNE reports.

There seems to be no fatalities, but evacuating that many passengers down the emergency slides, there is a high likelihood of injuries.

I wonder if they had enough fuel for their alternant, or perhaps the alternant was equally flooded?
Water didn't seem to be the issue, but windshear likely reared its ugly head. Looks as if the damaged it on a hard touchdown on approach #2, then went around, with brake warnings welcoming their third attempt.

There is some who believe the second attempt damaged the sensors that determine the plane has actually landed, and prevented thrust reverse andslats from extending.
Certainly, the reversers were not in the reverse position when it came to a halt.
If that is true, very fortunate to get slowed as much as they did.

Indeed, they were descending at around 1,000 feet per minute when they did the bounce and go. Then a series of warnings went off including brakes.. no one hurt is tremendous good news. They were very close to plowing into the buildings

Yes, here I am on the couch, but you know what the answer was? Maybe it was a little gray at the time, I didn’t see the exact weather. Sorry, but we taint getting in this time. Are we going to divert & buy 100 hotel rooms, maybe.

The METAR was not awful but there was lightning and storms right in the area. If you're getting +300 to -1000 changes in VS on short final it's time to bail on that approach and either hold or go to your alternate..

as usual, blancolirio had a great take on this up on his page

Back