Dynon 182 Auto Pilot Approved

Dynon just announced that the 182E and newer 182's can now get the auto pilot installed with full approach capability.
Looks like this includes retract and turbo variants for both legacy and restart years, no?

Yes. It looks like that's the case. Just not the early 182-182D. Still waiting to see if it will work with the Robertson STOL mod.

Wooohooo!! Now to get it scheduled

Yes. It looks like that's the case. Just not the early 182-182D. Still waiting to see if it will work with the Robertson STOL mod.

If R/STOL doesn't have the auto-trim feature, why not? I'm looking to install a GFC-500 A/P next summer with my R/STOL 182P. At airports, I typically I land with one notch or two less flap notches than the factory POH recommends for same approach performance. I would never fly a coupled autopilot approach in STOL configuration, and don't mind a limitation to that effect.

The current wing-leveler works great with the Robertson kit.

Just FYI, for the 182E onward the aileron servo is in the factory location. The Backcountry thread is focused on 180/185. For the 182 wide bodies, the Robertson bellcrank is inline with the existing control cable. At least on the 1964 and later 182's, mounting the servo should not be a problem. My 182P has an original Cessna A/P with a R/STOL kit added 3 years later. There are no R/STOL or fabricated parts for the aileron servo.

The auto-trim feature is a whole other story as it directly manipulates the elevators. My plane does not have that feature, however a lot of C180/185's did.

I appreciate your looking into it.

Last edited:
There is certainly no prohibition. I would have to compare to know if the standard installation would work. It sounds like it would based on your comments.

How are they significantly behind the GFC500 in capability?

How are they significantly behind the GFC500 in capability?
To be fair it’s been awhile since I looked at it, but off the top of my head, I believe the gfc can fly approaches lower, dynon offers no support for yaw damping, there was some craziness in having to do things through the AP head, like setting baro for example that increases workload. There we’re other things that I can’t remember.

Please correct any errors, It had been awhile since I’ve compared.

also, now that it’s not 3am I’m realizing I may be confusing it with the BK, which works with the dynon hdx.

Last edited:
To be fair it’s been awhile since I looked at it, but off the top of my head, I believe the gfc can fly approaches lower, dynon offers no support for yaw damping, there was some craziness in having to do things through the AP head, like setting Nato for example that increases workload. There we’re other things that I can’t remember.

Please correct any errors, It had been awhile since I’ve compared.

also, now that it’s not 3am I’m realizing I may be confusing it with the BK, which works with the dynon hdx.
You might. I think the Dynon AP was only approved for normal certification aircraft this past year (I have flown with the LSA/Experimental one).

I think you are thinking if the Aerocruze 100. The Dynon does have a yaw damper option in the Bonanza models. Their minimum altitudes very between models, but are very close to the GFC500. You don’t even need the AP Panel at all, but I think maybe your Baro was autocorrected to Nato somehow. That is an Aerocruze feature. The Dynon is not much different in features at all compared to the GFC500. The biggest thing is that they don’t offer a trim servo, but will control an increasing number of existing trim servos.

I think you are thinking if the Aerocruze 100. The Dynon does have a yaw damper option in the Bonanza models. Their minimum altitudes very between models, but are very close to the GFC500. You don’t even need the AP Panel at all, but I think maybe your Baro was autocorrected to Nato somehow. That is an Aerocruze feature. The Dynon is not much different in features at all compared to the GFC500. The biggest thing is that they don’t offer a trim servo, but will control an increasing number of existing trim servos.
Lol yes nato was supposed to be baro. Thanks for the clarifications.

I don't think the gfc500 has YD for the 182

I see the parts are ~$5600. Anyone have a guess on the number of hours for install?

https://www.dynoncertified.com/cessna-182-autopilot.php

The pricing worksheet is there, but keep in mind that, as I understand it, the brains of the autopilot are built into the Skyview system. So anyone who has installed a Skyview has already paid for some part of the autopilot. That being said adding autopilot to an aircraft with Dynon Skyview is only a few hundred more than the cheapest other options and I think provides, hopefully, amazing capabilities.

I would say about 40 hours to install at the most. Running the wires is a big chunk of the battle. The servo in the tail will need someone small, probably, but beyond that it shouldn't be difficult.

I would say about 40 hours to install at the most. Running the wires is a big chunk of the battle. The servo in the tail will need someone small, probably, but beyond that it shouldn't be difficult.

All in roughly 10k. That's a lot of money, but for an autopilot seems good.

I bought my plane with the Dynon already installed and the installer is half way across the country. Is the install pretty straightforward?

It should be. Nobody has installed one yet. Our first set of equipment arrives on Thursday.

The Dynon does have a yaw damper option in the Bonanza models. Their minimum altitudes very between models, but are very close to the GFC500. You don’t even need the AP Panel at all, but I think maybe your Baro was autocorrected to Nato somehow. That is an Aerocruze feature. The Dynon is not much different in features at all compared to the GFC500. The biggest thing is that they don’t offer a trim servo, but will control an increasing number of existing trim servos.
That matches what I found when I researched different autopilots a few months ago. The lack of a trim servo was my biggest concern about the Dynon autopilot. And I find the GFC500 control panel vastly superior over the Dynon autopilot control panel. Dynon's AFM Supplements vary quite a bit from one aircraft type to the next, so this would be a good thing to look up for your specific aircraft type before one decides.

- Martin

Hopefully this paves the way for more aircraft types to be certified… regardless this is great for everyone to provide more options for those looking to ditch their analog APs

I just want to give shout out to the folks doing these avionics installs!

I went today to get my transponder checked and seeing some of the work being done helps me understand why the cost is as it is. They had a twin and a single in for avionics upgrades and the massive amount of equipment and wiring to be dealt with would make your head spin.

When I built my experimental I did all the wiring and found that for such a simple aircraft there was much more wiring than I imagined at first.

So again ... hats off to the avionics folks. We appreciate what you do!

Well, I just got word that the autopilot is not compatible with my airframe. I have a 1963 Cessna 182F. Sounds like the roll kit works fine, but there is an issue with the pitch kit. They're working on a solution, but given how long it too the first time around to get certified I'm concerned how long it will take.

I know they're working hard, just frustrating.

Anyone from Dynon out there that might be able to give an update on the status of the pitch servo bracket being ready to install in C182? I am getting mixed information from my installer saying its has to go back to the FAA for certification. Installed an Avidyne IFD 540 early last year with the expectation of installing a Dynon System in my C182N. Paid the deposit in August and had a November install date, only to be told has to go back to certification. Almost wondering if I should go the other brand now. Thoughts?

There is no official estimate on recertification. It don’t expect it to be more than a couple of months. You can install roll now and prewire for pitch, then add Pitch when it’s fixed.

There is no official estimate on recertification. It don’t expect it to be more than a couple of months. You can install roll now and prewire for pitch, then add Pitch when it’s fixed.
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate your follow up!

Back