Piaggio P180 Avanti down in Costa Rica

Not much info. ‘Search called off due to bad weather’ could be a minor indicator?

6 people in a P180 is really pushing it, with a useful load of only 1300lb (850 with full fuel). I would love to see the W&B.

However, given the details here I think sourdough is on to something.

Last edited:
6 people in a P180 is really pushing it, with a useful load of only 1300lb (850 with full fuel). I would love to see the W&B.

However, given the details here I think sourdough is on to something.
Those numbers are definitely not for a P180! Useful is nearly triple that.

Nothing to add but had a P180 behind me while flying a 172 long straight in to a Colorado airport at night. Turned a 360 so he could get in without issue. Small talk in the FBO afterwards and he thanked me for the courtesy. Hopefully this wasn’t that pilot.

Those numbers are definitely not for a P180! Useful is nearly triple that.

The numbers seem correct for an Avanti II, but are payload, not useful. And with 200lbs for the pilot already subtracted, a family of 4, plus one other male guest shouldn't be a problem. Don't believe it's relevant to the accident in any case.

The numbers seem correct for an Avanti II, but are payload, not useful. And with 200lbs for the pilot already subtracted, a family of 4, plus one other male guest shouldn't be a problem. Don't believe it's relevant to the accident in any case.

Let's also remember this is at the end of their flight (2+ hours) where they had already burned quite a bit of fuel.

So no, payload should not be a problem here.

Back