Show Me Your Cessna Panel With G5s

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends -

I'm about to drop my plane off for installation of a new metal panel and two Garmin G5s (and a new autopilot). My plane (a 1967 Cessna 182K) does not have a standard six-pack configuration. With the new panel and G5s, I now have the ability to put instruments where I want them.

If you have one or more G5s in your Cessna, I'd appreciate it if you would post some pictures of your panel lay-out. I'm trying to get ideas to discuss with my avionics installer.

Thanks!

Friends -

I'm about to drop my plane off for installation of a new metal panel and two Garmin G5s (and a new autopilot). My plane (a 1967 Cessna 182K) does not have a standard six-pack configuration. With the new panel and G5s, I now have the ability to put instruments where I want them.

If you have one or more G5s in your Cessna, I'd appreciate it if you would post some pictures of your panel lay-out. I'm trying to get ideas to discuss with my avionics installer.

Thanks!
Good luck. I'm about 45 minutes away from picking my 182 from the avionics shop for a pair of GI-275s and a GFC-500 autopilot. Seems like you can't go wrong either way.

Friends -

Thanks!

thumbnail_IMG_5422.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4957.jpg

I would do it all over the same way.

I will get some. There is enough room to install 2 G5s in a recessed mount. I recessed the G5s and a JPI 900.

I will get some. There is enough room to install 2 G5s in a recessed mount. I recessed the G5s and a JPI 900.

That's the plan...two G5s in a recessed mount, and a JPI 830 in a recessed mount.

That's the plan...two G5s in a recessed mount, and a JPI 830 in a recessed mount.
Do it. You will be happy. Consider getting a 930, which will be primary. All the other gauges can come out. The 900 is primary, too, but it's a little small. I have the 900 in the 182 and the 830 in the Sundowner. Of course, there's the difference between 4 and 6 jugs, but the 900 is a little hard to read.

The nice thing is that the 900 comes with a light which lights up when a value goes out of range. So you have a visual indication of a problem, and it is clear and unmistakable. Note that you can wire up a lights to pins on the 830 which do the same thing, but you have to get the lights yourself. I used two standard PTT lights from Spruce. One was Low Fuel and the other was Master Caution. Those lights take the place of the annunciator that comes with the 900. The 930 has, I think, a small display which acts as a repeater for the monitor. JPI recognizes that the monitors might be located in an area not directly in the pilot's view, so there are lights and mini displays to put right in your view.

Last edited:
Do it. You will be happy. Consider getting a 930, which will be primary.

The work is underway. I already have an 830, so will be using that with some of the factory "steam gauges." I'm also getting an Aerocruze 100/TruTrak autopilot installed, and rearranging my avionics stack.

There were only so many AMUs available for this project. A 930 (and losing steam gauges) would have been nice, but it just wasn't in the budget.

Look at the 830 install manual. There are two pins on the unit that can be used to drive the lights I wrote about above. Put the lights in the middle of your scan. Very little cost, very little effort at this stage of the project, and worth their weight in gold.

I have the GFC 500. An autopilot is very, very nice.

Look at the 830 install manual. There are two pins on the unit that can be used to drive the lights I wrote about above. Put the lights in the middle of your scan. Very little cost, very little effort at this stage of the project, and worth their weight in gold.

Can you ID the pins? I just looked at the schematics in the 830 installation manual and didn't see anything.

I have the GFC 500. An autopilot is very, very nice.

The Aerocruze 100/TruTrak is replacing an S-Tec 60. I'm looking forward to the increased functionality of the new digital AP.

I'll see what I can find. The pins are called out in the install manual. I remember seeing them and pointing them out to the tech doing the install. The 830 installation was a couple years ago.

I think it's pin 11 for the remote light. This is from the JPI site:

• Be sure the light return lead is connected to a positive power source (through a circuit breaker or fuse), and not to ground.
  • Alarm light signal is an open collector(sinks to ground) capable of sinking 150 ma. Connect one side of the light to +V (protected by fuse or CB) and the other to the alarm light wire. May be paralleled with other similar operating alarm signals.
« Go Back

Not quite what you asked for… but we are very happy with the G3X set up…

284FE52B-7580-441D-9291-E92079A39C32.jpeg

I think it's pin 11 for the remote light. This is from the JPI site:

• Be sure the light return lead is connected to a positive power source (through a circuit breaker or fuse), and not to ground.
  • Alarm light signal is an open collector(sinks to ground) capable of sinking 150 ma. Connect one side of the light to +V (protected by fuse or CB) and the other to the alarm light wire. May be paralleled with other similar operating alarm signals.
« Go Back

Revisiting this. Pin 11 on connector P4 is for fuel flow. Does the light activate when fuel flow stops, is reduced below a certain level, or other?

There's another pin that will activate a light when something is out of the normal range (connector P1, pin 12).

I think that's right. Pin 11 and Pin 12. I thought the book said Pin 11 was low fuel indication, but from what you've found, that appears wrong. I don't think it's fuel flow though, since when the engine is off it is not illuminated. Pin 12 is the other values Out of Range.

Not bad, considering that installation was several years ago, and a number of penguins have jumped off the iceberg since then.

This is the setup I've been looking at after pricing the dual G5's. Curious about why you chose a separate EIS instead of the integrated EIS with the G3?
About three years before the panel upgrade, our group installed a replacement engine. We chose to install the engine monitor at that time.

During the panel upgrade, we chose to keep it as the cost to change to the system displayed on the G3X was better spent on other items.

Back