Lift - comments?

One thing to note is that you treat the concept of circulation as if it was some form of separate/independent explanation from streamline curvature/flow turning. They aren’t, they are inherently linked. The vorticity equation is simply the curl of the momentum equation.

Much like pressure gradients and velocity gradients are two sides of the same coin, vorticity (and thus circulation) and streamline curvature are as well.

That was perhaps not your intent but it is how it read to me!

My reference says outside the atmosphere there is no lift and no drag: those are aerodynamic (requiring air) forces it says. So if you're in an atmosphere you must have gravity otherwise the air would escape. Quibbling over terms I know, but words are important.
So what would a Guillows balsa glider do in the Space Station? I could see stability problems, at least.

So what would a Guillows balsa glider do in the Space Station? I could see stability problems, at least.
If trimmed for level flight or steady glide on Earth it'd do a loop in zero g. To fly a straight path you'd trim it the same as if flying a zero-g arc under normal gravity.

Something similar to this, probably:

A tangential question, what does a student pilot do differently by understanding how lift works?

"Proper" means "suitable", not necessarily "thorough and scientifically accurate." A student with proper understanding of lift will more readily understand other aspects of aerodynamics.

Physics schmysics.

Planes fly by the Peter Principle. They rise until they reach the level where they're not competent to go higher.

Back