NOTAM: Missiles inbound

When flying back to the US from Singapore last week, I was tracking our flight on FlightAware as we went - it was interesting to see some of the routing we took. We definitely avoided getting anywhere near Taiwan and coming out of S. Korea, we did a hard turn to the right to overfly Japan mid-island before making the turn towards Alaska. They were definitely taking less-than-direct routes.

In a scenario where you are converging, I assume the missile has right of way?

In a scenario where you are converging, I assume the missile has right of way?
You could stand your ground, then argue the point later with the FA... Nah, better to yield and live to tell the story.

You could stand your ground, then argue the point later with the FA... Nah, better to yield and live to tell the story.

That's loser talk. I have the RoW, I'm going to exercise my RoW. What's the point of establishing RoW rules if we're not going to exercise them?

Once you start yielding on RoW, where does it end? Will we no longer be able to takeoff because someone, somewhere might rather didn't???!

Dangerous slippery slope, my friend.

Give me RoW, or give me death!

*above typed in jest

I think the idea is they are headed for bases…

My friend's son is stationed in Japan. He sent me a picture of his DIL and grand daughters under the kitchen table reading their books.

Reminded me of my parents hiding under desks in the 1950s.

I listened to the audio, and I’m not sure the broadcast was very useful. No indication of altitude or heading of the “object”. Obviously if you know the general direction of North Korea and your bearing to that, but without an altitude and bearing not sure what you do other than be alarmed and looking out for something bright coming your way…

I listened to the audio, and I’m not sure the broadcast was very useful. No indication of altitude or heading of the “object”. Obviously if you know the general direction of North Korea and your bearing to that, but without an altitude and bearing not sure what you do other than be alarmed and looking out for something bright coming your way…
Were they cruise missiles or ballistic missiles? I'd assume that with traditional missile tests, any altitude information would be wildly innacurate as soon as the statement was spoken.

Reminded me of my parents hiding under desks in the 1950s.

I remember those "Air-Raid Drills" in the early 1960's. Who knew that a school desk could protect a child from an atom bomb!

ab3c300fc6791f77cbdac1a1a6f22ecf.jpg

Uh, everyone! Why, just look at the picture!

I remember those "Air-Raid Drills" in the early 1960's. Who knew that a school desk could protect a child from an atom bomb!

As a kid of the 60s, we were told we were practicing the duck and cover drills in case of a sudden tornado or hurricane. Yes, back then hurricanes were sneaky and struck suddenly without warning... :lol:

Back