Cessna 150 Flap Overrun

wprince

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
wprince
I have had many issues with my flaps on my 69 150J and finally was able to find the culprit. I have the toggle switch flap lever. Definitely a known issue with these flaps as there is no down limit switch and why max 40 flaps should be avoided. Would be terrified to have flaps locked at 40 and having to do a go around. On the screw gear the "bushing" has been pulled out and bound against the wall and gear. Anyone with some spare parts laying around for sale?

Attachments

• IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 73
That system has a slip clutch to prevent that. Yours isn't working.

That year is also supposed to have a spring in the toggle switch so that it can't stay in the down position. Yours is broken.

What else are your mechanics overlooking?

The 150s' I trained in gave me 10-20 FPM climb at 40 deg and full throttle. Go around would be pretty much impossable.

edit: FPS to FPM

Last edited:
The 150s' I trained in gave me 10-20 FPS climb at 40 deg and full throttle. Go around would be pretty much impossable.

20 feet per second is 1200 feet per minute. Seems I could make a go around work at that climb rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Go-arounds in a 150 with flaps up on a hot day is already nasty. With flaps at 40 you're on the edge. Even at 30 it's not much good. We sold our 150s and bought more 172s partly because of that. The students weren't saving any money flying 150s, since they took too long to climb to pattern altitude or to upper-air work altitudes. Spend too much time climbing and not enough time learning.

And their engines usually needed valve work at around mid-time. The 172's Lycs didn't.

And they were too tight for modern students and instructors, who are generally taller or fatter and a lot heavier than they were when that airplane was designed.

Good taxi trainers, though:)

A touch and go in a Cessna 150 with 40 degrees of flaps almost killed me as a young student pilot. Only reason it didn't was the airport I was learning at had over a mile of cow pasture off that end of the runway (other end road, powerlines, and trees). Those cows sure were surprised by the LOW flying Cessna. Fortunately I was able to milk the altitude I had long enough to realize why it wasn't climbing and start pulling the flaps in incrementally so as to not descend.

Last edited:
Those cows sure were surprised by the LOW flying Cessna. Fortunately I was able to milk the altitude I had long enough to realize why it wasn't climbing and start pulling the flaps in inclemently so as to not descend.

I see what you did there ... :)

Doh! Mixing up hobbies...shooting and flying :)
20 feet per second is 1200 feet per minute. Seems I could make a go around work at that climb rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back