Florida Chainsaw Massacre

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
Hurricane Ian took down a couple of large cedar trees at out place and plopped them across our driveway, so I have some cutting to do. I've owned a couple of gas-powered chainsaws in the past, but my old Poulan will require some work to get running since the carb is pretty gummed up. Being frustrated with the mess and hassle of gas saws, I decided to take a look at a battery-powered one.

So this morning SWMBO and I took a trip to Ace. All they had were Stihl units, and they were pretty pricey with battery and charger sold as separate items. A 14" saw + battery + charger was going to set me back about $800, so we decided to see what Lowe's had.

Turns out what Lowe's had was a 16" EGO, with a 56V battery and charger included, on sale for $229 (regular price $249). Reviews looked good, so we said "SOLD!" and headed for self-checkout.

I just tried it out and I like it. I'll be an infrequent user, so it will probably hold up well enough for my light home use. And I love the convenience! No drive to the gas station, no filling a gas can, no premixing gas and oil, no choking, starter cord yanking, engine warming, throttle playing, etc. And I really like that when I'm not pulling the trigger it's not running at all.

It zipped through some 10" cedar limbs like a hot knife through butter. I think it's going to be exactly the saw I've needed.

But I'm having trouble finding a hockey goalie mask here in central Florida.....

Dad has a Makita which he loves. Takes 2 of the 18V batteries that all our other power tools take, including his lawnmower. He was never very good about maintaining the cheap saws he would buy, so this one being essentially mx free is awesome for him. It's super convenient, but I will also say it's no match for a good gas powered saw when tackling serious hardwood, or a long day clearing brush. Different tools for different jobs.

I'm a little bit amazed your hardware stores still had ANY saws with all the pictures I'm seeing of trees down. I guess they must've stockpiled them ahead of time.

...but I will also say it's no match for a good gas powered saw when tackling serious hardwood, or a long day clearing brush. Different tools for different jobs.

Exactly. For a homeowner I think the electric saws are ideal, but if I were running a tree service or felling trees all day, the battery charging wouldn't work well and gas would be much preferred.

I'm a little bit amazed your hardware stores still had ANY saws with all the pictures I'm seeing of trees down. I guess they must've stockpiled them ahead of time.

Well, there was plenty of time to stockpile, but in my area I don't think there was much of a run on them. We really didn't get too much tree damage compared to what folks in the Ft. Myers area have. Plus, over the last decade or so, many of us have learned to be prepared and we've equipped ourselves with saws, generators, tarps, ropes, etc.

Back in 2004, I wasn't prepared at all. Hurricane Charlie was expected to head north of us, but then at the last minute it decided to make a right turn near Punta Gorda and head straight for us. We were plastered and were without power for 10 days. Lots of trees and limbs down at my place. I got a lot of use out of my gas-powered chainsaw and I learned just how useful some good rope can be.

The biggest problem was pumping water for the horses with no power, so when Home Depot got in a truckload of generators a day or two after the storm I waited in a long line and got one. I had to hotwire it into the pressure switch to run my pump, and then I snaked some extension cords through the house.

Hurricane Francis hit three weeks after Charlie, and hurricane Jeane hit three weeks after that. By then I was able to hardwire into a breaker in our barn subpanel to juice up the house. After that 'cane season, I installed a connector in the barn tack room and built a cable. That allows me to park the gennie in the barn's breezeway so it's away from the house and has good ventilation.

Then I inherited a larger Generac portable.

Unfortunately Ian took the roof off the barn breezeway, so to get a little weather protection and security for the generator we pulled my wife's horse trailer up next to the tack room. The gennie is in the back of the trailer (stock-style trailer, open and well ventilated) and I fished a cable into the tack room.

Anyway, short of having a full-house unit and a large propane tank, we're fairly well prepared. And if I'm missing anything, I have lots and lots of ammo.....

I had a Poulan for 30 years. I found it was not the carb that was the issue, but the fuel line would turn to mush from the ethanol in normal pump gas. Every time it failed to start or run, replacing the fuel line was the answer.

I had a Poulan for 30 years. I found it was not the carb that was the issue, but the fuel line would turn to mush from the ethanol in normal pump gas. Every time it failed to start or run, replacing the fuel line was the answer.

Good to know, but I always ran non-ethanol. It seems like the fuel was evaporating faster than the mixed oil; just guessing, but I was left with an oily sludge.

I'll be an infrequent user, so it will probably hold up well enough for my light home use. And I love the convenience! No drive to the gas station, no filling a gas can, no premixing gas and oil, no choking, starter cord yanking, engine warming, throttle playing, etc.
But you do have to deal with the long-term care and storage of lithium-ion batteries (i.e. keep it between 30%-70% state of charge in a temperature-controlled environment). Is the charger smart enough to do that for you? Or does it just blindly go 0%-100%?

The electric saws are fine for small jobs and pruning, especially with soft woods like cedar. I had a limb come off of my Black Walnut this summer that was over 24" at the base of the branch (over 45' long). It was a chore to cut up for firewood even with a Husqvarna 20" saw. Went through at least 3 or 4 tanks of gas lol.

But you do have to deal with the long-term care and storage of lithium-ion batteries (i.e. keep it between 30%-70% state of charge in a temperature-controlled environment). Is the charger smart enough to do that for you? Or does it just blindly go 0%-100%?

Yeah, it's a smart charger. The charger will do that if the battery is left on it for a month or so. Plus the battery has charge indicator LEDs so it's easy to keep an eye on the charge.

The electric saws are fine for small jobs and pruning, especially with soft woods like cedar. I had a limb come off of my Black Walnut this summer that was over 24" at the base of the branch (over 45' long). It was a chore to cut up for firewood even with a Husqvarna 20" saw. Went through at least 3 or 4 tanks of gas lol.

The right tool for the job. If I needed to cut up a 24" walnut, this wouldn't be the saw. For chopping up the limbs that come out of our oaks and cedars, and turning them into fire logs, I think this one will do fine. My old Poulan is a 14" and it handled everything I needed.

They are great as limbing saws and for smaller trees. We have some Echo brand saws in the fire dept and that is what I grab for 'tree down' calls.

When choosing what saw to get, keep in mind that if you have to replace batteries down the line, you are probably going to have better luck with a major brand vs. some china special. They would probably become trash at that point.

Btw. many chainsaw chaps are not rated for electric saws. The gas saw chokes off once the teeth grab the tissue. The electric saw will just chew it's way through.

I don't have near as much to maintain as you do but I use a 16" electric chain saw. The difference is mine uses a cord. I have my small 20 amp generator on a cart that I roll to wherever I'm working, fire it up and go to sawing. Works really well and gives me a reason to get the generator out and crank it up once in a while.

We received some pretty gusty winds and horizontal rain today so I'll be doing a bit of yard clean up over the next few days. No complaints as we were very blessed to have been spared the brunt of this storm ...

I don't have near as much to maintain as you do but I use a 16" electric chain saw. The difference is mine uses a cord. I have my small 20 amp generator on a cart that I roll to wherever I'm working, fire it up and go to sawing. Works really well and gives me a reason to get the generator out and crank it up once in a while.

We received some pretty gusty winds and horizontal rain today so I'll be doing a bit of yard clean up over the next few days. No complaints as we were very blessed to have been spared the brunt of this storm ...

Where are you, Dale?

My gennie is a little bigger than I would want to wheel out just to run a saw, though I have used it to power my MIG welder a few times when I needed to weld up a gate after a horse had kicked the snot out of it.

Where are you, Dale?

My gennie is a little bigger than I would want to wheel out just to run a saw, though I have used it to power my MIG welder a few times when I needed to weld up a gate after a horse had kicked the snot out of it.

I fly out of 6J2 and have a hanger at a nearby grass field. I live closer to the coast. I agree that I wouldn't want to drag a large generator around the property but this little one is a contractors model that is not difficult to move around. If needed it's good to run a few lights, TV, or keep the fridge running (not all at the same time of course). FWIW, the power flickered but stayed on the entire time ...

I have a small 2-stroke generator that’s easy to carry around, but I’ve never used it. My wife got it for me when I was part of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) but I haven’t been involved with that for a while. I’ll likely get back to it someday.

I have a small 2-stroke generator that’s easy to carry around, but I’ve never used it. My wife got it for me when I was part of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) but I haven’t been involved with that for a while. I’ll likely get back to it someday.

I know the feeling ... been General Class for a long time but it's been so long since I've been active that I wouldn't know which end of the mic to talk into ...

I know the feeling ... been General Class for a long time but it's been so long since I've been active that I wouldn't know which end of the mic to talk into ...

My base rig was taken out by a lightning hit a few years ago and I never replaced it. But then when my dad passed away last year I inherited all his radios so I really have no excuse. All I really need to do is toss some wire into the trees and plug everything together.

I’m in a good location here on the Florida Ridge. Only a couple hundred feet above sea level but it’s close to the highest point in the state. The only thing between me and Europe is the VAB. With 100W and an 80m dipole I worked central Russia, Switzerland, the Falklands, Australia, Japan, Kiritimati, etc. Mostly SSB but also some PSK.

Turns out what Lowe's had was a 16" EGO, with a 56V battery and charger included, on sale for $229 (regular price $249). Reviews looked good, so we said "SOLD!" and headed for self-checkout.

I just tried it out and I like it. I'll be an infrequent user, so it will probably hold up well enough for my light home use. And I love the convenience! No drive to the gas station, no filling a gas can, no premixing gas and oil, no choking, starter cord yanking, engine warming, throttle playing, etc. And I really like that when I'm not pulling the trigger it's not running at all.

I have the EGO pole saw, leaf blower, lawn mower, and power station that I can put 4 batteries on and use like a generator. Ian ripped a couple of branches out of my cedar trees, they always seem to split instead of breaking so I had to cut them the rest of the way out of the trees. The pole saw did a great job on that. There are still some jobs that I need to pull the Husqvarna out for but my EGO tools are much more convenient than the gas models that they replaced.

I still have my husqvarna riding mower but the EGO replaced the husqvarna push mower that had to have the carb cleaned every other time I used it even tho it was always used with fresh ethanol free gas. The leaf blower is great for pulling out of the laundry room to blow off the back porch, I never would even consider keeping a gas model in the house. The chain saw is probably the next EGO tool on my list but it’s gonna wait until the husqvarna dies.

I had an older Kenwood with a great sound but it went wonky on me. I fought with it and a few other folks did too but it finally went the way of all the earth. I now have an Alinco and it works (10 or 100W) and it sounds OK but it's been a long time since it's even been turned on. When I lived even closer to the coast I had a tower with 6m & 10m horizontal beams, an inverted V and a 2m J pole. Lightening hit the 2M but nothing was connected at that time. From there I was foolish enough to move into a place with an HOA so my only antenna was an attic dipole that would work but wasn't great. I'll get back to it ... one day!

General here also. Planned on getting an HF radio, but never did. Some days I have to think for a moment to remember my call sign.

I inherited an electric chainsaw from my dad. He got it from Montgomery Wards probably in the very early 70s.

I have a 100 foot heavy extension cord and the saw still works like a champ.

Yes, it is a plug in, but for my needs it is perfect.!!

The only downside to an electric chainsaw is that the chainsaw resistant chaps will not function properly. The chaps have long plastic fibers sandwiched between two layers of fabric. When the chain cuts through the top layer, it pulls the fibers out and clogs the sprocket, stopping the saw. The torque curve of the electric motor is so different from gas that the fibers do not stop the sprocket, and the saw continues to operate.

I've got the ego mower and blower. I'm a fan. Don't have their chainsaw though. I got tired of temperamental small engines that aren't used very often.

I've got an old cheap corded electric chainsaw my dad had picked up somewhere in pieces though.

One day after doing some yard work I decided to assemble it. Next thing I know I've decided to test it out. Plugged in the chainsaw, found a convenient little pine in the edge of the woods within reach of my cord....small tree about the size of my leg maybe....without giving too much consideration to the wind (because I'm fixated on just giving this little saw a test, not really on cutting down the tree...I've cut down quite a few, I know how to aim their fall!). Well, the next thing I know the tree is starting to lean....wind pushing it.... but the wrong way.... no no no!.... I don't have any wedges handy, no ropes or straps rigged and this thing is on a very slow motion fall ...right into my pool screen enclosure.
Man I was embarrassed about that bonehead move for a long time!

Just bought a DeWalt electric for my elk hunt a few weeks ago in case we needed it to help quarter an animal. Worked great for shrubs and bone.

Having 10 acres and 6 of them being heavily wooded with oak and hickory, I just upgraded to a 22" Stihl. The 16" wasn't quite enough.

Sounds like your poulan had fuel that oxidized and turned to varnish. Some tlc should have her running again, although if the electric got the job done it might not be worth the effort.

Some tlc should have her running again, although if the electric got the job done it might not be worth the effort.

Yeah, that’s kind of where my head is. For what I need I can’t really see hassling with the Poulan. I’m sure I could get it running, but every time I use it I’m fetching gas and mixing oil and fighting to start it. Then when I put it away if I don’t pickle it I’ll be going through it all over again.

Yeah, that’s kind of where my head is. For what I need I can’t really see hassling with the Poulan. I’m sure I could get it running, but every time I use it I’m fetching gas and mixing oil and fighting to start it. Then when I put it away if I don’t pickle it I’ll be going through it all over again.

There is your problem. Don't use gasstation fuel and oil. For a small two stroke that doesn't get used much, buy a can of TruFuel premix. It's silly expensive on a per gallon basis, but for a chainsaw that doesn't get used much, that doesnt matter. A logger or arborist wouldnt want to spend that money, but for homeowner use, it's the ticket. Doesn't varnish up the carb and doesn't have alcohol to draw in water.

73 de AJ4CM
Es 73 de N0XAS OM.

haven’t lit up electrons in anger for several years though. The downside of living where I do. Love the house, love the neighborhood, don’t love the fact that we’re in a big depression and the neighborhood covenants, which were due to expire 4 years after we bought, were extended over my strenuous objections.

For another sixty years.

Sigh.

There is your problem. Don't use gasstation fuel and oil. For a small two stroke that doesn't get used much, buy a can of TruFuel premix. It's silly expensive on a per gallon basis, but for a chainsaw that doesn't get used much, that doesnt matter. A logger or arborist wouldnt want to spend that money, but for homeowner use, it's the ticket. Doesn't varnish up the carb and doesn't have alcohol to draw in water.

Sounds like a good suggestion. If I ever go back to gas I’ll give TruFuel a try. Thanks!

Es 73 de N0XAS OM.

haven’t lit up electrons in anger for several years though. The downside of living where I do. Love the house, love the neighborhood, don’t love the fact that we’re in a big depression and the neighborhood covenants, which were due to expire 4 years after we bought, were extended over my strenuous objections.

For another sixty years.

Sigh.

Got just whatcha need:
https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Amateur-Radio-Operate-Anywhere/dp/0872597571

Sorry you lost the trees, but glad they landed on the driveway and not the roof! Nice work on 80M over the ocean, too. I love 80m and we've used it around here for RACES drills and local stuff, but haven't thought to try it, nor would I have expected it to work so far away.

Sorry you lost the trees, but glad they landed on the driveway and not the roof! Nice work on 80M over the ocean, too. I love 80m and we've used it around here for RACES drills and local stuff, but haven't thought to try it, nor would I have expected it to work so far away.

Actually, I was probably on 40m or 20m for those comms. I used a tuner to load the 80m dipole for other bands, bypassed it when working 80. 80m worked well for local stuff around the southeast but rarely overseas, as you say.

I had good success using that dipole on other bands because I was feeding it with ladder line and had very low losses. VSWR becomes less important with a low-loss feeder.

Trust me... I've got the books, read the articles, even wrote one of them ("Surviving in Suburbia") years ago. I had an attic mounted 40M dipole fed with twin lead, which worked well until noisy switching power supplies in everything wiped out its usefulness. With a metal roof now, that' snot an option any more. Tried a flagpole with a remote LDG tuner; after the second tuner failure I gave up on that. Maybe some day I'll get a wire up, but after years of fighting the good fight I moved on to other pursuits... like flying. I can still copy and send Morse decently enough as the result of designing, testing, building, and selling some of the more popular memory keyers and repeater controllers for quite a few years. There's still a few RockMites around in dusty corners and a TS-850SAT sitting on my desk, but it's really just decorative at this point. Maybe some day.

So what's the difference between trufuel and mixing ethanol free gas like he was doing?

So what's the difference between trufuel and mixing ethanol free gas like he was doing?
In general nothing except about $21 per gallon cheaper. Add a little Seafoam to your mix and its basically the same as Trufuel and $20.00 per gallon cheaper.

Ethanol free gas from the pump is still the same **** fuel we pump into our cars and boats, varnish and all. TrueFuel is basically 'white gas', a narrow range of distillates.

The $5 for the quart can last years when the only job of the chainsaw is to clear a few limbs here and there. Since I hired a kid to cut my grass, I haven't used things like my weed eater in 3 years. Pulled it out to claean up a path at another property and it fired right up. Yeah, I could have probably saved $3 by driving to the marina and buying a gallon of non-ethanol instead of just pouring something from the TruFuel can, that would have bought me a cup of coffee or something.

Or, add your 2 stroke oil to 100 LL. No ethanol, and it lasts forever.

Or, add your 2 stroke oil to 100 LL. No ethanol, and it lasts forever.

Tried that. Made the Stihl chainsaw hard to start. Doesn't seem to like high octane fuel.

Tried that. Made the Stihl chainsaw hard to start. Doesn't seem to like high octane fuel.
Done it for a decade, and all three Stihls and one ancient McCulloch start easily.

Back