Passed the IFR written test today!!!

:happydance:

Agreed that them DPE's be making some loot. But then again they have to deal with folks like us ...

Probably $50 of the fee was for the checkride and the remaining $750 of the was the fee for dealing with a government agency!

holly c#@* batman, $800????
I have no idea how much I paid for my checkrides in the early 1990's, but I didn't have a lot of money in those days and it wasn't really on my radar as a major variable, if I recall correctly.... I'm thinking it was on the order of what I might pay an instructor for a couple hours of dual time...maybe a bit more...if I had to guess it was <$100...just say to be safe double the instructor rate might have been $80 or so.... call it at most maybe $125 or something for the examiner??? (I really don't think it was that much)...so on the extreme outside like maybe $260 max in today's dollars!

Anyway, congrats on the progress towards your checkride!

Is $800 the going rate? I think back in 2008 it was $300.

I guess they double every 7-years or so. Wow.

I did my private in 2015. I think I paid $450 or $500 back then.

I need to figure out how to get a job as a DPE. Do two checkrides a day. Work five days a week? Clear $400k a year taking two weeks off?

calling AOPA...we need help to dial back this examiner price gouging!
oh wait, aopa is a different thread....:confused:

I know some DPE’s doing 3 checkrides in a single day too!

For PPL I paid $600, for commercial was $800. I don’t mind the price if DPE’s schedules were easier, they could control the weather, and lower the “waiting anxiety”.

I need to figure out how to get a job as a DPE. Do two checkrides a day. Work five days a week? Clear $400k a year taking two weeks off?

Taking into account such things as scheduling, weather, and students not being qualified you'd probably only clear a quarter million a year. Who could manage on that? :dunno:

Congrats! $300 back in 2005 and I just paid $600 for my instrument a couple months ago. Really enjoyed flying with that DPE too. Going to use him for my commercial next which is the same fee.

Taking into account such things as scheduling, weather, and students not being qualified you'd probably only clear a quarter million a year. Who could manage on that? :dunno:
If you have a DPE friend, talk to them about some of the failures. I don't know how much you'd have to pay me to get in random airplanes every day with strangers who might just know enough to kill me.

Inflation adjusted from when I took my private would be about half of today's going rate.

yeah, it seems everything in aviation is going up MORE...MUCH MORE... than the rate of "inflation adjustment.
just guessing but mine was about 1/4 to 1/3 of today's rate (adjusted) if I'm recalling correctly.... back in the early 1990's

Just based on my little view of the world, It seems rental rates made a huge upward adjustment about 25 years ago
And based on these reports, it seems that the DPE rates probably jumped up past inflation around then too!

If you have a DPE friend, talk to them about some of the failures. I don't know how much you'd have to pay me to get in random airplanes every day with strangers who might just know enough to kill me.

Agreed! I'm even careful about who I get into an airplane with even if they have been flying for years. As for my family members ... the number of people they are allowed to fly in a small plane with can be counted on one hand and have fingers and a thumb left over.

Back