Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
...on the combine...

IMG_20220929_081657656_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220929_081817790.jpg

On the bright side writing these kind of checks makes it seem less shocking when I have to write one for the airplane.

dude, can you PLEASE bring that thing to RR???

dude, can you PLEASE bring that thing to RR???
Let's see, 250 miles at 20mph....no.

Id rather fly the cessna if I have to go slow :)

You're welcome to come visit any time though.

Did they have the rotor out of it?
Yeah, had the feeder house off anyway, and the cone was just about ready, so I went ahead and had them do it too. "while we're in there" does not just apply to airplanes.

Let's see, 250 miles at 20mph....no.

Id rather fly the cessna if I have to go slow :)

You're welcome to come visit any time though.

Yeah, had the feeder house off anyway, and the cone was just about ready, so I went ahead and had them do it too. "while we're in there" does not just apply to airplanes.

Reminds me of that meme/saying that goes back a long time: "Oh, you have a $100k car that you drive to work? Cool. I have a $500,000+ combine/cotton picker that only gets used 3 months per year."

So there I was….

Ferrying the Piet right after I bought it with my son. Crappy 9v intercom and crappier old head sets.

son: dad, mmph umph blah blah
Me: wha?

son: dad, mmph blah we are umph blah
Me: WHA?

son: DAD, WE ARE BEING PASSED BY A MINIVAN!
me: egad, he’s right! Wow….

AND THEN, we SMOKED a convoy of combines. Woo hoo! In a Pietenpol… just barely…

And to think y’all thought this wasn’t gonna be topical!

Just out of curiosity, how many hours of labor was the $9.3K?

Just out of curiosity, how many hours of labor was the $9.3K?
I honestly don't know. The inspection was broken out as 17 hours & $1450, which would be $85/hour. I'm pretty sure the shop rate is more than that. At $85/hr that would equate to 110 hours; I think they mostly had one guy on it for about a week & a half, maybe 2. Obviously he would've had some help on bigger jobs, but probably not for much more than an hour altogether.

This machine is 11 years old, I've had it for 6, and I haven't had to spend much on repairs. The work they did on it should keep it going for another 5 years or so before it will need this major of a service again. I usually only have the shop do an inspection every other year, and I take care of it in between.

Costs you more if it breaks down just when the corn/beans/grain is ready to cut.

That's cheap compared to a cotton picker.

Meh, I'm pretty sure that Whitney pays that much for each one of her 25 combines every year just before the remaining half of her family is swallowed by a rogue sinkhole.

But at least it's $ CAD.

Sorry, Jim, fake story here. :) Once every 5 years is $5,000 annual cost.

That is a huge check to write, though, and yes, again in 5 years if you are lucky. Farmers in my family, so have some idea of the costs of keeping those things going. I do some wrenching when I am there and something breaks, as well as much preventive lubing and adjustments to keep it all running smoothly.

Meh, I'm pretty sure that Whitney pays that much for each one of her 25 combines every year just before the remaining half of her family is swallowed by a rogue sinkhole.

But at least it's $ CAD.
OOF, I go the other way. Red first.

Just wait til you have to drop a check on buying a new one.....1 million plus for the combine and a bean head.....

That's cheap compared to a cotton picker.

My dad used to say he could grow 10 acres of corn for what it cost to grow 1 acre of cotton. Granted, that was before the days of RR everything. That was also in the SE US - not up north where they're putting on 200+ units of N every crop year. But still...

Totally unrelated.... @Jim K you looking for a grain cart driver or someone to run the ripper a few days this fall? ;)

Cooooooooooollllllll
I just finished painting my second unit. I like it. I think I might do them all....maybe one in the white/black winter scheme, and one in the blue/gray Euro urban scheme.

camo m915.jpg

You guys aren't exempt from needing a CDL during harvest like the cranberry growers are around here ?

You guys aren't exempt from needing a CDL during harvest like the cranberry growers are around here ?
You don't have to have a CDL, but you do still have to to have a class "A". The test is the same, the only difference is the requirement for a medical and the lower threshold for DUI that comes with the CDL.

Back