Small Plane Down Near KXLL

Darryl Snover

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ProtoFly
Coroner on scene. Not much information yet. At least one fatality, possibly one survivor based on article. KYW News 3 out of Philly had a helicopter on scene, so there's some aerial images as well on the CBS 3 page.

Updated, from the article on WFMZ: "The Federal Aviation Administration says a single-engine Piper PA-28 crashed in the yard. The FAA could not confirm how many people were on board."

This is pretty close to me. Close enough that my daughter was texting me asking if I was flying.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehi...tml#tncms-source=Breaking-News-(Local)-Banner

Last edited:
One fatality, one survivor, based on the news. Of course, the news is also saying a flight departing KXLL (Queen City) of only three minutes might be it, but that was a DA40 in the pattern, and the tail number of the DA40 isn't even close to the last three of the tail number shown in the news footage.

If anyone survived that crash it was by the Grace of God as that is an extremely ugly crash ... :(

Is is pretty close to me. Weather was not low at that time. Lot of practicing around there today. No big debris field looks upside down. Lucky one survived.

So this was close enough to me that people were contacting me to see if I was ok.

But here's what gets me. The article says that it was a PA-28. Article also states: "Aviation records show the plane took off at 1:37 p.m. and was in the air for three minutes." Only problem is that the flight matching that description was a DA-40 (N859PA). The overhead view of the crash appears to show a PA-28 with a tail number ending in 29F.

And this is why you can't trust what the news says. They can't even double check basic details...

Yes, the DA-40 did one lap in the pattern. I'm
Close enough also that several family members checked up on me. I also checked up on friends I know that fly out of/around KXLL

So this was close enough to me that people were contacting me to see if I was ok.

But here's what gets me. The article says that it was a PA-28. Article also states: "Aviation records show the plane took off at 1:37 p.m. and was in the air for three minutes." Only problem is that the flight matching that description was a DA-40 (N859PA). The overhead view of the crash appears to show a PA-28 with a tail number ending in 29F.

And this is why you can't trust what the news says. They can't even double check basic details...
That is certainly not a Diamond, with that twisted aluminium. There have been many miss-ID'd planes with ADS-B; I told someone in CA that their airplane was flying in my Cincinnati neighborhood.

That is certainly not a Diamond, with that twisted aluminium. There have been many miss-ID'd planes with ADS-B; I told someone in CA that their airplane was flying in my Cincinnati neighborhood.

The address given in the news report, 1400 Keystone Road, is only about 1.1 miles off of the departure end of Runway 25 of KXLL, so they may not have had enough altitude for ADS-B to register.

Yes, I agree. My definition of a hero is, someone who removes him/herself from a position of relative safety to a position of relative peril in an effort to assist/save someone in imminent peril. Mr. Ron Diehl, who pulled one of the survivors from the wreckage, certainly meets that definition ... in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. My definition of a hero is, someone who removes him/herself from a position of relative safety to a position of relative peril in an effort to assist/save someone in imminent peril. Mr. Ron Diehl, who pulled one of the survivors from the wreckage, certainly meets that definition ... in my opinion.
And that is more-or-less the dictionary definition, and what I believe, as opposed to the guy who makes the catch and gets the TD to win the game.

For the locals out there...

I'm a former local, flew out of XLL when it was still 1N9. Is this Proflite a newish flight school in the Valley or did Gateway rebrand? Their website is "down for maintenance" today. In my day it was Gateway at Queen City and Ace up at ABE and both had Cherokee 140's. Ace seemed to have better instructors back then, I trained up there despite living in Emmaus.

Also looking at Flightaware, who's the operation with the Piper-owned brand new PA28's with N___FA regs at XLL now? Impressive.

This could have been even worse though, in my day VFR training flight departures from XLL 25 would fly low and aim for Buckeye's tank farm as their reference point to be clear of the airspace to climb (and at the time that was also a tower-free passage over South Mountain). Surely didn't need anyone in trouble over there between a tank farm and schools.

For the locals out there...

I'm a former local, flew out of XLL when it was still 1N9. Is this Proflite a newish flight school in the Valley or did Gateway rebrand? Their website is "down for maintenance" today. In my day it was Gateway at Queen City and Ace up at ABE and both had Cherokee 140's. Ace seemed to have better instructors back then, I trained up there despite living in Emmaus.

Also looking at Flightaware, who's the operation with the Piper-owned brand new PA28's with N___FA regs at XLL now? Impressive.

This could have been even worse though, in my day VFR training flight departures from XLL 25 would fly low and aim for Buckeye's tank farm as their reference point to be clear of the airspace to climb (and at the time that was also a tower-free passage over South Mountain). Surely didn't need anyone in trouble over there between a tank farm and schools.

Gateway is still a staple at Queen City. Proflight has no affiliation with Gateway. I think they used to operate out of Brayden, but I could be wrong. All of the new PA28’s are, in fact, Gateways new fleet. A pretty impressive upgrade although I learned and taught in the Diamonds and will miss them. They were a great training aircraft!

Back