"We're all gonna die!!!"

Maybe the Alaska Boat Gal decided to try flying?

She will wish she had died when she gets the bill for the divert.

I was talking to a United FA one flight about people up and about when the seatbelt sign was on. She told me (no idea if this is true), that if you are up and about and are injured due to turbulence, you may be billed for the divert. If the seat belt sign is NOT on, then the divert is on the airline.

And I have seen reports were diverts for behavior on board has been billed to the person.

We need to get tougher on this sort of criminal behavior.
Screaming & threats - 2 years minimum
Sucker punching a FA from behind? - 5 years.
And all of them get an all-airline blacklist, forever.

Anybody can bill anyone for anything. The question is whether consequences for non-payment can be enforced. Sounds mostly like legal posturing to deter a wrongful injury lawsuit. Hard to punch when you are on your heels.

Can't they just engineer one of the rear lavs to work as a soundproof "brig" for cases like this?

Reminds me of one of the schools I used to visit. They had a classroom in the back they called they called the "Hokey Pokey Clinic" ...

Drugs.
Fidgety prior to the incident.
Visit to the restroom prior to the incident.
Quick hit of meth or something in the lav and she flipped out.

Once she was restrained, why divert and inconvenience everyone else? Just stuff a sock in her mouth and continue the flight.

They didn't die, but they did end up in El Paso which is almost as bad.

ugh. -been on one of those flights. The law needs to clamp down on... the laws? haha... Every commercial passenger needs to remember that we don't tolerate anyone messing with our flight crews. We've been shown the worst, and once something becomes obvious, the buck stops with each passenger.

Drugs.
Fidgety prior to the incident.
Visit to the restroom prior to the incident.
Quick hit of meth or something in the lav and she flipped out.

Once she was restrained, why divert and inconvenience everyone else? Just stuff a sock in her mouth and continue the flight.
I think that the safe-money bet is always to divert and get the problem off the plane. The “duct tape and continue to destination” option has a few very expensive possible outcomes and it’s hard to predict from the cockpit if one is likely in a particular instance. For example, the crazed passenger could be volatile enough to escape the duct tape and harm others. Or he could be having a panic that is secondary to an acute physical condition and duct taping him for 3 hours leads to long term harm or death. Either of those outcomes would cost more than a diversion, a diversion has a predictable cost, and, if you diverted because the passenger was just being an idiot, you can send him a bill to recoup some of that cost.

As much as I want flight attendants to be empowered to restrain and silence unruly passengers, even rough them up a bit, and allow the flight to continue to the planned destination, I think that the airlines are making a sound fiscal decision by erring on the side of a diversion.

As much as I want flight attendants to be empowered to restrain and silence unruly passengers, even rough them up a bit, and allow the flight to continue to the planned destination, I think that the airlines are making a sound fiscal decision by erring on the side of a diversion.

... and then sometimes an unruly passenger has to be subdued, restrained, and detained just to get to the diversion destination. :eek:

Back