Thinking about a camper van ...

The diesels are higher end all around. However there are tons of variations there, and two RVs that look pretty similar can be completely different in build quality.

All Class As/busses have windshield issues at some point. I've had to deal with that on mine. We are also pretty hard on our unit as far as driving on uneven/rough roads, things like that, so that makes it worse. I've learned more or less how to tweak it so that the wind noise isn't so bad. A proper bus (Prevost/MCI) will be better for this since they're designed to go 1 million miles and engineered by a form other than "Hey Cleetus, slap in that there windshield".

So, a class A diesel pusher is "buy your last RV first" type of thing? The wife casually looks for RV's for us, and I told her a Class A is the only ones I would consider. I can task her to narrow the search down to diesels.

Must be POA, we’ve gone from a question about a small van conversion to the merits of class A diesel pushers. :dunno:

As I understand it:
Class A = vehicle built from the ground up as an RV, usually large, often seen pulling a “toad”.
Class B = an existing vehicle, converted to an RV using the original body, usually a van so small.
Class C = an existing vehicle with part or most of the body cut off and replaced with the RV body aft of the front doors, using the original front seats, dash, steering wheel, etc. Can be any size.

So our 16’ Tiger, while being most comparable to a class B in how it’s used, is technically a class C. Then there are trailers (conventional or 5th wheel) and pickup truck slide-ins and off-road “adventure vehicles”…

Everybody finds the niche that suits they way they want to use it. We like the easy driving of ours, can pull through a drive-through fast food, park anywhere, use “no trucks” parkways, pay the car fare on a ferry, etc. The only downside is having to pack it up if we want to leave the campground. We bring a tent to leave non valuable stuff like lawn chairs at the campground if we leave, so we don’t have to secure everything and the site doesn’t look unoccupied until we get back. We are thinking about buying a scooter or e-bike to carry on a hitch rack. Uber may also be an option.

With a trailer or toad, you have the hassle of maneuvering a trailer, you have to stay off “no trucks or trailers” roads, all the driving is more of a hassle… but you have a vehicle to get around in when leaving the campsite.

Let me jump in with a sorta-related question: Does anyone know of an RV driving school that supplies the RV?

I've found several that provide instruction once you arrive with your RV, but my problem is that we're looking at a 5th wheel rig, my wife gets carsick if anyone else drives, so she'd be the primary driver, she really likes the larger 5th wheel trailers, but she's never driven anything larger than a minivan. I think a driving class might help steer her towards picking a trailer size (or a different RV style entirely) she'd be comfortable with.

I grew up on a farm, have a lot of experience towing trailers, and know that hauling a 40-footer around the highways and byways of North America is not something I'd find relaxing.

Sign her up for some semi-truck driving courses at the local community college, lol. I seriously do not envy the guys towing the 40'+ 5th wheel rigs going down the road. Not a big deal in the flat lands, but catching crosswinds and dealing with steep grades/sweeping downhills can be a chore, especially for those who haven't towed anything of significant length/weight. It's as much knowledge of the various systems (transmission/tow-vehicle braking/anti-sway correction/etc) as it is being comfortable with the reduced visibility and driving characteristics itself.

The diesels are higher end all around. However there are tons of variations there, and two RVs that look pretty similar can be completely different in build quality.
Our RV was custom built by NRC Conversions in Middlebury Indiana right next to Elkhart Indiana the camper capitol of the US. At least used to be.
The chassis is a FL112 freightliner with lots of chassis options ordered by the original owner. It was built on the freightliner RV line, the chassis. I am second owner and bought it 4 months old from the dealer who originally sold it. Built by craftsman(omnish) with solid oak interior not veneer and other heavier weight items since the chassis can handle it. Big ole Cat C-12 diesel with 505hp and 1500# torque built to haul a 50' enclosed race trailer.
Pleasure to drive across the country and up and down mountains in all weather conditions. I gave $105K for it , originally $140K 4 months earlier. So not crazy expensive in 2002. One piece aluminum roof that has not leaked yet. 20 years old last year and still going strong.
If you want something that will last have someone like this build it for you.
http://www.nrcmod.com/motorhomes.php

I respect the folks who go with an MDT or HDT as tow vehicles. We’re keeping our eye open for a good M2 for a Summit Hauler type conversion.

Yup those M2's are pretty sweet rigs for that purpose. F-350/450 duallys are good and all, but getting a setup with air brakes and suspension really pays dividends down the road, not to mention the better chassis frame. Very popular with the racing guys who have pretty heavily-loaded race trailers.

Sign her up for some semi-truck driving courses at the local community college, lol.

I like this idea.

So, a class A diesel pusher is "buy your last RV first" type of thing? The wife casually looks for RV's for us, and I told her a Class A is the only ones I would consider. I can task her to narrow the search down to diesels.

I would definitely suggest in that direction. I don't know anyone who's bought a gasser Class A who's ultimately happy with it and doesn't want to upgrade. Even something with a smaller diesel (5.9 Cummins/Cat 3126B) will be way better to drive than a Vortec/Triton V10 gasser. For the record, I'm happy with my 3126B and think the 5.9 is a bit too small, but I'd still take a 5.9 over any gasser.

What’s the “usual” method of getting around locally? I know it depends. Tow a trailer and then use the tow vehicle getting around? Or drive the RV and tow the around-town vehicle? Anyone drive an RV toy hauler with a motorcycle tied down inside? I can see advantages and disadvantages of each.
Tool around in the Bugatti, of course.
f4d6abb1a4696e96cea0257c35469c1d.jpg

So, a class A diesel pusher is "buy your last RV first" type of thing? The wife casually looks for RV's for us, and I told her a Class A is the only ones I would consider. I can task her to narrow the search down to diesels with Cat engines.

FTFY

Let me jump in with a sorta-related question: Does anyone know of an RV driving school that supplies the RV?

I've found several that provide instruction once you arrive with your RV, but my problem is that we're looking at a 5th wheel rig, my wife gets carsick if anyone else drives, so she'd be the primary driver, she really likes the larger 5th wheel trailers, but she's never driven anything larger than a minivan. I think a driving class might help steer her towards picking a trailer size (or a different RV style entirely) she'd be comfortable with.

I grew up on a farm, have a lot of experience towing trailers, and know that hauling a 40-footer around the highways and byways of North America is not something I'd find relaxing.
You have to search for them but there are businesses and individuals that give drivers training in your motor home. https://www.rvschool.com/school-locations/

Last edited:
Lots of good opinions here. After owning a couple of Class A pushers (and a bus), I think our next one will be a Class C built on a Mercedes chasis with no TOAD. Can get most anywhere in it, and all we do is sleep in it anyways. Don't need the 43' with a Jeep behind it anymore.

I like this idea.

I would definitely suggest in that direction. I don't know anyone who's bought a gasser Class A who's ultimately happy with it and doesn't want to upgrade. Even something with a smaller diesel (5.9 Cummins/Cat 3126B) will be way better to drive than a Vortec/Triton V10 gasser. For the record, I'm happy with my 3126B and think the 5.9 is a bit too small, but I'd still take a 5.9 over any gasser.

Isn't yours rated at 330HP, I did some math and 330 HP/40' long coach = 8.25 HP per foot, and mine is 300 HP / 36' long coach = 8.333 HP per ft. I think I got ya beat, LOL

Isn't yours rated at 330HP, I did some math and 330 HP/40' long coach = 8.25 HP per foot, and mine is 300 HP / 36' long coach = 8.333 HP per ft. I think I got ya beat, LOL

Fair point! But I think yours is only rated at 550 lb/ft torque, and mine's rated at 860. Torque matters more on something like this. :)

Fair point! But I think yours is only rated at 550 lb/ft torque, and mine's rated at 860. Torque matters more on something like this. :)
Actually not a valid data point at all, would be more based on weight, but you are correct I doubt I have the torque that the Cat has

Actually not a valid data point at all, would be more based on weight, but you are correct I doubt I have the torque that the Cat has

I said fair point, not valid point. ;)

Yes, it's more based on weight. And when you come down to it, one of the big advantages of diesels vs. gassers (as you well know after coming from your V10 RV) is the ability to propel the big beasts at a lower RPM rather than having to rev so high for horsepower. So to that end, my 3126B is rated for its 330 HP @ 2200 RPM, and your Cummins 5.9 I believe has its rating at 3000 RPM. Torque peaks I think have a closer RPM (1400 on the Cat vs. 1600 on the Cummins if memory serves), but again, the Cat's got a lot more torque. For one Cat just seems to build torquier motors than Cummins, and that extra 1.3L displacement helps.

the Cummins is definitely a higher RPM engine, I climb most hills at about 2600 - 2800, go down them at similar RPM using the Engine Brake, slow and steady wins the race!!

the Cummins is definitely a higher RPM engine, I climb most hills at about 2600 - 2800, go down them at similar RPM using the Engine Brake, slow and steady wins the race!!
Ask Cummins yourself. Slow and steady wins 2nd place. :D

Reactions: Ted
Well we have strayed completely off target, I guess, apologies to the OP

Last edited:
I don't see RV'ing as a family event unless you are driving a Saturn 5 transport. Two max people are as much as I'd want to stuff on the road with a Class C license and being able to park in a normal parking spot. Your van that I can park in a normal parking spot? Sorry honey, see you in a couple months, if the Feds don't find me first.

I don't see RV'ing as a family event unless you are driving a Saturn 5 transport. Two max people are as much as I'd want to stuff on the road with a Class C license and being able to park in a normal parking spot. Your van that I can park in a normal parking spot? Sorry honey, see you in a couple months, if the Feds don't find me first.
Well that sort of depends on the rig doesn't it? Many different floor plans and configurations. Mine is a big class C and was very suitable for my family of 5 when the kids were younger. It still works ok even now that my son is taller than me. A few years ago on our 19 day drip out to the Grand Canyon, I would have predicted that we would have all been ready to get out at the end...since we pushed so hard just to make the miles. We did manage to stop and do something every day, but it as still a push. I could have have turned right back around and gone twice as far again. My wife was tired but she wan't exactly itching to get out either...and the kids were ok to go too.

I don't see RV'ing as a family event unless you are driving a Saturn 5 transport. Two max people are as much as I'd want to stuff on the road with a Class C license
That would depend on whether the class C has slide-outs and how many.

Back