Is a plane faster than a car over 126 miles?

No Mike Patey? Berto is an aviation treasure.
Bertorelli is a funny, I appreciate the dry sometimes dark humor.. Patey is okay, sometimes a little "much" ..

I'm also a little jealous of Scrappy...!

Unless you have a jet , most GA planes are just a pain in the *** for any sort of reliable travel - sure you can do it but it is more akin to taking that motorcycle trip across the country , a lot of fun memories but not exactly practical.
I don't know about that.. a little bit of smart weather planning and you can pretty much get anywhere you want to go. From here to Telluride for skiing by plane is about 3 to 4 hours. If I drive it's at least 14. If I fly commercial that's a whole set of annoying challenges and if you end up in Denver it's still several hours drive. No thanks

If I can drive it in three hours or less, I will. Beyond that, plane wins.

FWIW, he only has 67 subscribers. He doesn't get any money from youtube. Literally not a penny. And you have to be in the 50k subscribers range to make enough money to start to be worth noting. By then, the couple dozen views you get from PoA don't matter. It's a rounding error. So, long story short, no one is putting videos here to make money.

I do post my videos here and would be very supportive of creating a subforum for videos. I've made several friends through my videos here, but do recognize that not everyone cares about them. Would be great to have a section where people who want that content can look and those who don't can easily avoid.

no one is posting videos here to make money? Really?? What about motoadve, not sure if that’s his screen name here or other places.

It’s also more than just YouTube. It’s, “give me free ****, I have a YouTube channel”

no one is posting videos here to make money? Really?? What about motoadve, not sure if that’s his screen name here or other places.
I liked his first video he posted, though I think his style of flying is beyond my risk acceptance. But, it seems to me every one since has been the same video.

As somebody who has posted a few of my videos here in the past, I'm all for a forum dedicated to videos and pictures. I like to watch (some) aviation YT videos but totally empathize with others that don't. That said, the OP's video certainly isn't spam. He's not making a penny from this video. If you understood how YT analytics work, you'd know that even highly viewed aviation videos rarely pay more than a few xtra gallons of AvGas. Certainly not worth the effort and expenditure that it takes to make them.

As far as the actual video goes, my feedback would be to trim the fat. While editing if you find yourself wondering whether you should leave a particular bit in, that's a good sign that you should probably cut it. The more engaged the audience, the more viewing time you get, which translates to YT promoting your content to a wider audience. Also, I'd personally lose the "24" style but that's just me. That said, I think the concept behind the video is fun. Keep it up!!

Why is it spam? Hint: it's not. At least, not any more than anyone's wordy story. Don't give me a lecture on people making money on YT; it's rather hard to actually make more than hobby money.

Hint: It is. This is a discussuon forum, you know, for discussion. If I want videos I'll go to YT, if I want music I'll go to Pandora. Theres nothing in the title that indicates its a video. The title was great, because it could have been a good DISCUSSION. Instead, its just a vid thumbnail and no discussion.

As somebody who has posted a few of my videos here in the past, I'm all for a forum dedicated to videos and pictures. I like to watch (some) aviation YT videos but totally empathize with others that don't. That said, the OP's video certainly isn't spam. He's not making a penny from this video. If you understood how YT analytics work, you'd know that even highly viewed aviation videos rarely pay more than a few xtra gallons of AvGas. Certainly not worth the effort and expenditure that it takes to make them.

As far as the actual video goes, my feedback would be to trim the fat. While editing if you find yourself wondering whether you should leave a particular bit in, that's a good sign that you should probably cut it. The more engaged the audience, the more viewing time you get, which translates to YT promoting your content to a wider audience. Also, I'd personally lose the "24" style but that's just me. That said, I think the concept behind the video is fun. Keep it up!!

Thank You Sir! Appreciate the feedback! I wish content creators would have their own social hub to ask feedback and suggestions. For an amateur, it’s a steep hill to climb figuring out what works and what doesn’t. But I enjoy the video making process and all I can hope is that other folks enjoy watching them. Some will not, that’s ok. The 24 idea had been marinating for a while, this seemed like a good opportunity to use on. Now onto the next video project!

I think you missed my point. My point was that by the time you get to the point of making any money on YT, posting it on PoA is irrelevant. And if PoA is giving you a noticeable number of hits on YT, then you aren't making any money on YT. PoA, while a mostly fine community, just doesn't move the needle much.

motoadv has 30K subscribers. The 20-40 views he gets if he posts a video here are irrelevant to any revenue he's getting from YT.

Not enough subscribers to monetize and not about money....sure, but it doesn't hurt to add a few subscribers by getting some exposure....so yeah, it still could be "about the money"...eventually.

personally I don't get all the hate for youtubers.
Somebody posting only just selling some product...yeah, I suppose I see that belonging. That's not sharing any thoughts, experiences, a story...nope that's just an add only. The guy from Ukraine selling composite parts....seems like a REALLY nice guy selling a very solid product and if I had a need for that stuff I would appreciate knowing about his products as an option....and while I pray for him and his family and friends over there with all that's going on.... his posts are just adds...no story, no aviation content, no discussion. Even still I read a lot of them.

but this mooney guy is a pilot....just sharing a story...and sharing a sub hobby of creative video composition.... and so what if it ends up making some pocket money (or even more)

As a rusty pilot I enjoy watching this sort of content. I appreciate his posting it here because otherwise it probably would not have shown up in my suggestions any time soon with such a small subscriber base. I thought it was a solid effort...way above what I've seen others with such new channels. Good audio, multiple camera angles, solid editing. Could have been a little shorter, probably should have cut back and forth just a bit to the "other guy" in a car doing the trip (as I'm guessing this might be a regular route that you've done in the car and by airplane before). I thought the "24" format was clever. Not for every video but it worked in this case.

If you don't like it just click to the next one. I do it all the time to some about videos, and to others about all sorts of other stuff. It's not difficult.
There are a few youtubers...well one that I can think of that sometimes posts here that I do not care for so I don't click, but most I enjoy.
I enjoy all sorts of youtube aviation. Helps to keep this rusty pilot tuned in, and I can live vicariously through the stories and travels.
Martin, justplane silly, aviation 101, 310 pilot, in the hangar, flyingmonkey, and others. I thoroughly enjoy Paul from Avweb. All these and more are flyer posting aviation content that is either informative, entertaining, or both. I even watch some of the "hey look at me" guys occasionally.....

Tuomomooneyflying, keep posting I say.... I might just subscribe depending on where your channel goes.

Not sure how a youtube is any different than just writing about a flight. It's pretty obvious once you open the thread if there's a video link. That takes what 1 or 2 seconds of your valuable time? Some youtubers are tools, some are ok. Some PoA posters are tools, most are ok. Not sure where all the YT hate comes from.

Not enough subscribers to monetize and not about money....sure, but it doesn't hurt to add a few subscribers by getting some exposure....so yeah, it still could be "about the money"...eventually.

personally I don't get all the hate for youtubers.

but this mooney guy is a pilot....just sharing a story...and sharing a sub hobby of creative video composition.... and so what if it ends up making some pocket money (or even more)

As a rusty pilot I enjoy watching this sort of content. I appreciate his posting it here because otherwise it probably would not have shown up in my suggestions any time soon with such a small subscriber base. I thought it was a solid effort...way above what I've seen others with such new channels. Good audio, multiple camera angles, solid editing. Could have been a little shorter, probably should have cut back and forth just a bit to the "other guy" in a car doing the trip (as I'm guessing this might be a regular route that you've done in the car and by airplane before). I thought the "24" format was clever. Not for every video but it worked in this case.

Tuomomooneyflying, keep posting I say.... I might just subscribe depending on where your channel goes.

Thank you for the feedback and your comments all of which were exact and very well said!

Depends on the 126 miles. I need to go from MD to RIC ( Hanover, actually) fairly regularly. The only way to drive is I-95. There are basically no other roads that'll get you there in any reasonable amount of time. I-95 between DC and RIC SUCKS OUT LOUD. Between construction, speeding trucks, idiot drivers, you are lucky to get where you are going and remain alive. If all goes well, it's a little over three hours door to door. It rarely ever goes well. I can drive 20 minutes to my hangar at DMW, fire it up, get a clearance around the SFRA and be at OFP in almost exactly 60 minutes, or if I'm lucky I can get a clearance through the SFRA and cut 20 minutes off the trip. There's an Uber ten minutes from the airport to my destination for another 20. So in two hours I can feel good about the trip, be relaxed and refreshed and ready to do what I have to do vs.the sheer hell of I-95.

So yeah, for that trip flying beats the hell out of driving.

Taking everything into consideration, e.g. flight planning, pre-flight, hangar open/close, transfer of baggage from car to plane to rental car/taxi, drive to the airport/from the airport, etc. for me, out in the Prairies of Canada (not much city traffic and pretty much direct roads here), the plane (Cherokee 160) wins once the drive is 3+ hours. Anything under three hours the car is faster door to door. 3-4 hours it’s a wash, 4+ hours and the plane wins. Having said that, when it’s a wash, I still go by plane. I’d rather be on the plane than in the car.

Not sure if that is 120 miles by car or plane. I have a milk run I do Ogden UT to Pocatello ID, 120 nm. Not only is the plane faster door to door, but more fun, I personally think is safer. And I don’t like to drive that kind of distance, especially on the winter roads.

home to airport 15 min
preflight run up 15 min
Flight time 25 min
FBO puts the plane away for me and has the car ready 5 min
Drive to work 10 min
Total 70 minutes

Car 121 minutes, fatigued and stressed out. The car is 148 statute miles given curves in the road. That extra hour means seeing my kids before leaving, or a few more minutes with my SO. So depends on many variables but works for me. The only plus of driving is that my personal car is usually a little nicer than my rental.

Also didn't watch the video. But there are lots of places 130 miles from here that there's no direct driving route two. If I started close to my plane and could land close to the destination, it would be faster than driving.

Not sure if that is 120 miles by car or plane. I have a milk run I do Ogden UT to Pocatello ID, 120 nm. Not only is the plane faster door to door, but more fun, I personally think is safer. And I don’t like to drive that kind of distance, especially on the winter roads.

home to airport 15 min
preflight run up 15 min
Flight time 25 min
FBO puts the plane away for me and has the car ready 5 min
Drive to work 10 min
Total 70 minutes

Car 121 minutes, fatigued and stressed out. The car is 148 statute miles given curves in the road. That extra hour means seeing my kids before leaving, or a few more minutes with my SO. So depends on many variables but works for me. The only plus of driving is that my personal car is usually a little nicer than my rental.
You have a 250kt airplane? And average 75 mph driving? Nice.

Interesting, what kind of aviation films do you watch, if any? What excites you? Was there a story or just a 30 second clip of someone landing?

Personally, I find “Mentour Pilot” on YouTube to have the best analysis of commercial aviation incidents than I’ve seen anywhere else. Excellent for pilots, as well as non-pilots who aren’t afraid of nitty gritty details.

It is an interesting question though
everybody has an approx breakeven range
answer varies greatly based on
your aircraft speed and capability...
is it owned, rented, or shared in a club
instrument rated and current
weather that day
how far is your drive to the airport
how flexible are you for time
what else?​
I think the biggest hurdle against flying is probably weather and getting stranded

Discussing the title, not the YouTube, my decisions were based on transportation at the other end.

The plane is a Cessna 172, so slow.

Someone meeting me at the airport? 100 or more miles, I fly.

Short haul by taxi? 200 or more, I fly.

Rent a car? Along the interstate, 250 or 300 miles, across the Appalachians, 200 miles, and I will fly.

Door to door times are the key, and if the destination is at the airport, shrink the miles a lot. I count the pre flight and post flight times in my decision, plus any uncertainty in the weather. The plus of enjoying the flight can bias the decision considerably in fine weather.

I live inside the beltway, on the east side of Washington, and fully understand the hate for the traffic here, but with a lifetime of going everywhere in the city and its suburbs, I am used to it.

An exception where the pleasure of flying was the deciding factor, I flew from College Park to old, defunct Aqualand airport, 70 miles, to work in the power plant across 301.

15 minutes drive to CGS, 15 minute preflight, and 40 minutes of tachometer time, then unfold the bike,10 more minutes, and at work. Total, 80 minutes.

Drive time is 90 minutes.

Cost of flying, @ $100 per hour, $133 for the round trip. Compensation for driving, $30. Net cost to fly, $103 per day. The pleasure of flying cost me $515, and saved me 50 minutes that week. Obviously, I felt that it was worth it, as each day I had a choice, and flew.

Side issue, the airport was in the very slow motion process of closing, and had X's on the runway, but the only obstruction was weeds growing through the cracks, personally confirmed by driving the entire length of the runway. I parked the plane behind the gas station, so it was not visible from the hiway.

Last edited:
commercial travel sucks

Amen to that. I'm about to take a commercial airliner next month for the first time since I have had my pilot license. Last time I flew commercial was in 2018. No choice this time around as my Cherokee won't take me over the pond I'm afraid but my goodness, from memory (I used to fly commercial a lot), it's already gruelling just thinking about commercial travel.

answer varies greatly based on
blah blah blah
Someone meeting me at the airport? 100 or more miles, I fly.

Short haul by taxi? 200 or more, I fly.

Rent a car? Along the interstate, 250 or 300 miles, across the Appalachians, 200 miles, and I will fly.
You guys make it sound so complicated.
  • Browser tab #1: Google Maps (drive door-to-door scenario)
  • Browser tab #2: Skyvector
  • Browser tab #3: Google Maps (airport-to-last-mile)

First, Top Gear beat the OP both in time and in entertainment value asking the same question.

Second, I have no hate for the Youtube folks, then again I've hate for naught but Nazis, fascists and other assorted autocrats and their toadies. That said, there are a number who's soul participation on this board is to post up their often very self-serving videos, which does get old.

Most everything on the internet is click bait to get income for the provider. That is why there are ads.

But then again, so are most media (TV, newspapers, magazines).

You guys make it sound so complicated.
  • Browser tab #1: Google Maps (drive door-to-door scenario)
  • Browser tab #2: Skyvector
  • Browser tab #3: Google Maps (airport-to-last-mile)

So you don't pre-flight, drive to the airport, or put fuel in the plane, ever?

Got it.

Got it.
I already know how long those take and how much to adjust if there's an issue. Don't need to search it up online.

Top Gear beat the OP both in time and in entertainment value
I mean I'm not privy to the OP's financial situation but I'd be willing to wager they did not have a multi million dollar budget and support staff to put this one together

I already know how long those take and how much to adjust if there's an issue. Don't need to search it up online.

But you left it out of the equation. And every pre-flight is exactly the same? That must be awesome that you've never gone to the hangar and found something unexpected.

Got it.
For sure! But I have to do a small version of that for the car. I do factor the drive TO the airport "against" flying.

For where I live the strongest case for part 91 is the the drivign time is not predictable and is not linear to distance whereas, except for dodging around some terrain and airspace, flying is.

For example, if I go the ~120 miles home to KKLS from KRNT, you'd think that's an easy two hours of freeway driving. It occassionally is, but sometimes runs 6 hours, and usually runs 4.5 hours due to traffic.

Flying is 30 to airplane, 10 for preflight and pull out, 60 minute flight (we get picked up at the airport there and it's only a few minutes to the families that we're going to see there) so 1:40. Fuel is had by calling the truck on the home field when we park the plane and they come around and fuel when they get to it. (we DO carefully sump and stick every time before flight).

Another trip is to Bend (KRDM). 7 hours best case by car, but often 9. About 2 hours in a mighty 172 plus the aforementioned 30 minutes on each side for ground transportation, so call it 3 hours, maybe 3.5 to be fair. Rental car can be waiting for me at the FBO and the nice young adults are happy to move bags from ramp next to aircraft to trunk of rental and seem happy with a $10 or so tip.

Friday Harbor (over water, other alternative is Ferry) KHFR is about 4 hours in cars/ferries each way, but 30 minutes in airplane and (so 1:15 from my house) and you walk the two blocks from the airport into the village for the weekend with your bags.

YouTube rants aside, this is an interesting question that many pilots face. Assuming weather is not a factor, 125 miles is easily faster if going from airport to airport even in a slow plane, but the equation changes significantly if your actual destination is say, a half-hour from the airport, and even more so if you need to arrange for car rental, etc. The big savings even in a 120 kt aircraft comes when you are competing with a 3+ hour drive. No-brainer flights for me are from Central NY to Washington DC, Cleveland, Boston, Portland (ME), Pittsburgh, Philadelphia. These are all within 3 hours or less flight time, but are 5-9 hours driving time. Even with airport-to-destination delays at the other end, flying makes a big difference, and is much more pleasant that fighting interstate traffic.

Interestingly, I just made a 50 nm flight to drop off my plane for avionics work. My wife drove to pick me up. She left 10 minutes before me. By the time I went to the airport, got the plane out and closed up the hangar, preflighted, flew to the destination airport, rolled my plane into the destination hangar, filled out the paperwork, and packed everything up to go home, my ride had arrived.

Back